Kaleb Joseph (Transfer Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Kaleb Joseph (Transfer Commit)

Postby drbluejay » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:19 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Joseph has to sit out this coming season, per NCAA rules.
Davion should get good minutes this season. Mo goes 25-28mpg, and it is likely that Malik will split time at the 1 and 2. Davion should get 7-10mpg.

If you RS Davion, then neither 2017 PG has in-game, on the court experience with Mac's system. At S'Cuse, Joseph saw considerable time as a Frosh, but practically nil this past season - and S'Cuse's system is night vs day different from Creighton's system.

I'm thinking there is no way Mintz does not redshirt. Mintz would be 3rd string PG or SG at the very best. Mintz is going to redshirt unless he would decide to transfer like Steward did. 3rd stringers should always redshirt.
drbluejay

Postby CURx » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:30 am

In my completely off base basketball analysis, I think Mo is our guy obviously at the PG. As the season wore one, Albert got some minutes at PG to allow Mo extended breaks but it was clear until about 3/4 of the season that the coaches weren't overly comfortable with Malik running the point. I also seem to remember that they actually played Albert at the 2 a little bit with Mo on the floor a little bit during the end of the season and in the NIT. I guess, I had invisioned Malik playing more of a 2 this year behind Marcus and letting Davion run those 'rest' minutes as well as maybe possibly picking up a few more to help keep Mo fresher/healthier. If nothing else Malik could return to those few minutes if Davion struggles. To me it makes sense that you play Davion this year unless he is so obviously not ready, but watching highlights he at least looks physically ready to play a bit, and you let Joseph learn, develop, regain some confidence so the following year you go into it with two viable options at PG instead of a transfer coming off a red-shirt and a red-shirt with no college experience. I know MO stepped in right away to be a force like he has, but that is a big gamble (would we catch lightning in a bottle twice?) to take and let's remember, that when Joseph is ready to play, it will essentially be 2 seasons that he has had off due to his lack of PT over the course of this last 2015-16 season.
Last edited by CURx on Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
CURx

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:34 am

drbluejay wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Joseph has to sit out this coming season, per NCAA rules.
Davion should get good minutes this season. Mo goes 25-28mpg, and it is likely that Malik will split time at the 1 and 2. Davion should get 7-10mpg.

If you RS Davion, then neither 2017 PG has in-game, on the court experience with Mac's system. At S'Cuse, Joseph saw considerable time as a Frosh, but practically nil this past season - and S'Cuse's system is night vs day different from Creighton's system.

I'm thinking there is no way Mintz does not redshirt. Mintz would be 3rd string PG or SG at the very best. Mintz is going to redshirt unless he would decide to transfer like Steward did. 3rd stringers should always redshirt.

I'm thinking there is absolutely positively without a doubt no way at all, as in zero or zilch or nada, that anyone can predict with any degree of certainty whatsoever in April who will, won't, or may redshirt next season. What a ridiculous assertion to suggest there is "no way Mintz does not redshirt."
Outlaw_Wales

Postby cu8493 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:52 am

My guess is also that Davion plays unless the coaches whiffed on his recruitment like we did with Marlon and LGIII. But, the fact that he is 1st team all NC, playing in NCs largest class seems to be a pretty good indicator that he is probably going to be ready to play out of the gates. Given that the kid apparently is also quite intelligent, I don't think picking up Mac's system is going to be an issue. If he can play defense, he will play, IMO. But, there is only so much playing time to go around and we will be relatively stacked at the guard spots, so I would not say that it is a given he plays.
cu8493

Postby BufordISking » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:10 am

I also think he can make an immediate impact, but you never know. I keep telling myself to not be so excited to see him play because you never know with the coaching staff. For all we know Davion could end up playing elsewhere in 2017-2018 season. I hope he pans out though.
Civic Auditorium section 34.
BufordISking

Postby bluejayfan00 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:45 am

BufordISking wrote:I also think he can make an immediate impact, but you never know. I keep telling myself to not be so excited to see him play because you never know with the coaching staff. For all we know Davion could end up playing elsewhere in 2017-2018 season. I hope he pans out though.

:roll:
bluejayfan00

Postby Panhandle Jay » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:29 am

Mintz is college ready. We need him to play next season. I just don't see Zierden staying healthy the entire year. And if we have aspirations of playing deep into March, then we need a guy like Mintz to give us some minutes.
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 23
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:36 am

I made the argument with a Husker friend that Joseph is as good of a get, if not better, than Andrew White was. Both went to top end programs. Both were highly recruited out of high school. Both seemingly fell out of favor with their respective coaches.

My position was that Joseph actually played and enjoyed some success before leaving, while White didn't.

Is that a reasonable position or am I missing something?
vivid_dude

Postby bluejayfan00 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:38 am

vivid_dude wrote:I made the argument with a Husker friend that Joseph is as good of a get, if not better, than Andrew White was. Both went to top end programs. Both were highly recruited out of high school. Both seemingly fell out of favor with their respective coaches.

My position was that Joseph actually played and enjoyed some success before leaving, while White didn't.

I think it's reasonable. Especially since Joseph was a crucial piece as a true freshmen.
bluejayfan00

Postby Panhandle Jay » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:39 am

vivid_dude wrote:I made the argument with a Husker friend that Joseph is as good of a get, if not better, than Andrew White was. Both went to top end programs. Both were highly recruited out of high school. Both seemingly fell out of favor with their respective coaches.

Andrew White is a pretty good player. He's probably the better 'get' than Joseph. HOWEVER, and a big however, is that Joseph isn't being asked to come in and lead the team in scoring, etc. Joseph will simply be a role player amongst scorers (Foster, Alexander, Patton, Ballock).
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 23
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting