Kaleb Joseph (Transfer Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Kaleb Joseph (Transfer Commit)

Postby Creigh_All_Day » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:44 am

drbluejay wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Joseph has to sit out this coming season, per NCAA rules.
Davion should get good minutes this season. Mo goes 25-28mpg, and it is likely that Malik will split time at the 1 and 2. Davion should get 7-10mpg.

If you RS Davion, then neither 2017 PG has in-game, on the court experience with Mac's system. At S'Cuse, Joseph saw considerable time as a Frosh, but practically nil this past season - and S'Cuse's system is night vs day different from Creighton's system.

I'm thinking there is no way Mintz does not redshirt. Mintz would be 3rd string PG or SG at the very best. Mintz is going to redshirt unless he would decide to transfer like Steward did. 3rd stringers should always redshirt.

Third stringers? We aren't putting together a football roster. Mintz has the size to play a combo guard, and having two guards that can handle the ball on the floor during the game is intriguing. We did late in the season with Mo and Malik, and we saw some good things. The two best teams in the nation last year excelled at it...UNC (Berry and Paige) and Nova (Brunson and Archi). The game is seeing more and more of that. If Mintz is ready, he needs to play. To shut that idea down because we have two point guards is foolish. Our best players need to be on the floor next year. It is as simple as that.
Creigh_All_Day

Postby Jaysker12 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:02 pm

Panhandle Jay wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:I made the argument with a Husker friend that Joseph is as good of a get, if not better, than Andrew White was. Both went to top end programs. Both were highly recruited out of high school. Both seemingly fell out of favor with their respective coaches.

My position was that Joseph actually played and enjoyed some success before leaving, while White didn't.

Is that a reasonable position or am I missing something?

Andrew White is a pretty good player. He's probably the better 'get' than Joseph. HOWEVER, and a big however, is that Joseph isn't being asked to come in and lead the team in scoring, etc. Joseph will simply be a role player amongst scorers (Foster, Alexander, Patton, Ballock).

I wouldn't count on two true freshmen to be able to come in and score effectively right away. Assuming Davion doesn't redshirt he will have had an extra year of experience on the court and we all know how valuable that is in Coach Mac's system. I will be very worried if Davion redshirts because that means there are question marks about his development. That being said I don't think it will happen. He has good size and athleticism to play either guard position

I could see one of Ballock or Alexander having a pretty good true freshmen season for us, maybe 10ppg on 36% or higher from 3. Keep in mind though they will be competing for minutes with Khyri and Ronnie. Mostly I just want to see them knock down outside shots and play good defense. With Marcus as the undisputed leader of the team that is all they should have to do. Whatever Joseph provides is icing on the cake.
Jaysker12

Postby cujaysfan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:28 pm

after reading a few Q&As and watching some youtube videos of interviews - i'm really impressed with how poised, thoughtful, and mature KJ seems to be

he looks to be a great teammate and no doubt that he'll be a great fit into the culture aspect of the program

his mixtapes and highlights are pretty mouth watering, too

pretty excited to hear some summer league and practice reports down the road

and then wait to see what he brings on the court after the year off.
cujaysfan

Postby BluffsBluejayGal » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:51 pm

The excitement level is going to be pretty high for many years surrounding the program. It sucks so bad that the season is a little under 7 months away.
BluffsBluejayGal

Postby JayPak » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:37 pm

BluffsBluejayGal wrote:It sucks so bad that the season is a little under 7 months away.

That's why Creighton has baseball in Spring, and an elite soccer and elite volleyball program for the Fall!
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby Billybluejay » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:41 pm

+1 JP!
Billybluejay

Postby JacobPadilla » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:37 am

vivid_dude wrote:I made the argument with a Husker friend that Joseph is as good of a get, if not better, than Andrew White was. Both went to top end programs. Both were highly recruited out of high school. Both seemingly fell out of favor with their respective coaches.

My position was that Joseph actually played and enjoyed some success before leaving, while White didn't.

Is that a reasonable position or am I missing something?

I'd say the difference is White was a relative unknown in that he didn't get to play more than 5 minutes per game and was never really in the rotation, whereas Joseph played a good deal early and wasn't very good, then fell out of the rotation. Hopefully the year off to work on his game and rediscover his confidence will get him back on track.
JacobPadilla

Postby cu8493 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:56 am

Looking at Kaleb's stats from his freshman year (ignoring his sophomore year since he never really had a role this past year), he started off very well, playing more than 30 minutes in many games. But, his minutes tailed off over the last 6 or so games dropping into the 20s and then less than 20 minutes over the last half of the ACC schedule. He may have hit the freshman wall a little late in the season. He had the following assist totals over the first part of the season: 7, 5, 4, 8, 7, 6, 3, 2, 4, 10 (against Villanova while playing 45 minutes), 3, 7, 2, 3, 5, 7. Over the last ten game or so, his averaged dipped, with only 13 assists in the last 7 games (or course his minutes had dropped also). Turnovers were pretty high early on in his career (averaging about 4 per game, with a high of 8 in one game), but he had no more than 1 TO per game during a 7 game stretch in the middle of the season, while still playing at or above 30 minutes per game, and appeared to get the TOs under control as the season progressed. He never scored well. He had a few games in double digits, but shot 41% from 2 and 20% from three. Doesn't appear that he shot any better in his few opportunities his sophomore year. What isn't determinable from the statistics provided on their website is whether he played defense well. That remains to be seen.

While he doesn't have to be a great shooter to play PG in our offense, he does have to be able to shoot better than he demonstrated at Syracuse to be effective. He needs to be at least a plausible threat in order to keep his defender honest, so he can use his quickness to beat the guy off the dribble and get into the lane either for a pull up or a dish off after the defense has to collapse to help out. It will be good for him to get the year to refocus and to really work on his shot. To me the biggest plus without him ever stepping foot on the court is that his size and athleticism will pay dividends next year giving Mo someone to work against on scout team who is a lot closer to the size and athleticism Mo will see nightly in the BE than our walkons. I really like this get.
cu8493

Postby JaysLifer » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:38 am

I'm really looking forward to having a PG who's spent 2 years becoming familiar with one of the nastiest and most persistent zones in college basketball. He certainly won't be out of his element when an opponent switches to the zone, which hopefully means our offense won't stall out against the zone like it typically has in the past.
JaysLifer

Postby ictjay » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:01 am

Dude is a Top 50 "Athlete" and I'm good with that. Welcome Kaleb!
ictjay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting