2016 G Jordan Scurry (Walk-On Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2016 G Jordan Scurry (Walk-On Commit)

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:51 am

Did anybody else cringe when there was a post in here about our new walk-on's chances of making the pros based on a youtube video? Or was that just me? Seemed very Huskerish to me.

Welcome aboard, Jordan. I hope you end up breaking Kareem's scoring record.
vivid_dude

Postby Waylon Van Smack » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:53 am

vivid_dude wrote:Did anybody else cringe when there was a post in here about our new walk-on's chances of making the pros based on a youtube video? Or was that just me? Seemed very Huskerish to me.

:lol: hard to argue that...
Waylon Van Smack

Postby bluejaydano » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:22 am

vivid_dude wrote:Did anybody else cringe when there was a post in here about our new walk-on's chances of making the pros based on a youtube video? Or was that just me? Seemed very Huskerish to me.

Ricky Kreklow was a walk on and he is playing pro ball in Europe.
bluejaydano

Postby cujaysfan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:36 am

doug mcdermott was a walkon and he was an NBA lottery pick...
cujaysfan

Postby section202jay » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:33 am

Durango Jay wrote:Jordan mix tape shows he's not really an above the rim player. He has a nice stroke from three and handles the ball well. Unless he turns into a three point freak like Wragge, I don't see him in the pros. Heck, even Wragge, with an unlimited range is not in NBA D-league. I would think that playing at the collegiate level is where it's at for Jordan. I hope he stays for the education.

You do know he's a walk-on commit, correct?

That said, he does look like a decent player. He had two D1 offers from NJIT and Holy Cross.
section202jay

Postby Durango Jay » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:43 pm

Um, yeah, since the title of the thread says "Walk-On Commit" it did realize that. Oddly enough.

Sorry for voicing an opinion after a short review. If this were on HHC, I would have called him the savior of the program ala Roburt Salley. Yeah, based on the short video, that was my opinion. To evaluate a player before they step foot on campus is a crap shoot. I'm much more concerned how the class of 2016 will look in 2020.
Durango Jay

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:36 am

Durango Jay wrote:Um, yeah, since the title of the thread says "Walk-On Commit" it did realize that. Oddly enough.

Sorry for voicing an opinion after a short review. If this were on HHC, I would have called him the savior of the program ala Roburt Salley. Yeah, based on the short video, that was my opinion. To evaluate a player before they step foot on campus is a crap shoot. I'm much more concerned how the class of 2016 will look in 2020.

The point is that he's a walk-on. What do you expect? Walk-ons don't play above the rim or have an incredible range. In fact, they are walk-ons because they CAN'T do those things. If he could, he'd be getting a free ride somewhere.

I hope Jordan has a great experience at CU, but I'd say the likelihood that he plays a meaningful minute for the Bluejays is borderline zero.
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby LJay » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:46 am

Some points being made are he WAS good enough to get D1 full ride offers and turned them down to come to the Hilltop. He must feel he has the game to eventually play at the Big East level.

Other CU players to walk on the first year and end up on scholarship?

Michael Lindeman but he was promised a 5 for 4, gray shirt. The best example of what this young man aspires to is Matt West who was a true walkon and eventually played significant minutes and earned a scholie (last 2 years or only last year I don't recall).

Of course, of our last two walk one, now departed, O'Neil had a grayshirt offer from Bradley and I'm pretty sure Cayce had some low offers. Can't fault guys for giving it a try, finding out they don't have the talent and finding a new scenario that's a better fit.

One of these years one of these kids will be a late bloomer and we'll have our next Matt West.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby cu8493 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:01 pm

If memory serves me, Casey Herriman was a grey shirt (walk on redshirt first year) He played significant minutes in his career. Also, a young man named Ron Baker was a true walk-on and led his team to the final four. So it can happen -- although I don't think he will become an NBA player.
cu8493

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:18 pm

Jordan is probably a great young man who sees the opportunity in attending a great educational institution, like Creighton. Walking on is a way to stay connected with the sport ( As my all-time Jay, Matt Dorwart, did.) He gets a great education and will contribute to the team as well. Playing Time may or may not come, but he will play a role, and gain, from his being a part of the team. All the best for Jordan becoming a Bluejay.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Previous

Return to Recruiting