2016 SF Kobe Paras (Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2016 SF Kobe Paras (Commit)

Postby ShowMeJay » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:52 am

Old MVC Days wrote:I'm thinking Lawlors will be shipping some Paras customized jerseys to the Philippines soon.

All the Filipino fans - Order your Bluejays apparel at https://www.lawlorscustom.com/creighton-bluejays
ShowMeJay

Postby TBC Alum » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:00 am

I'm still trying to get my arms around the impact that the fan base can and will have.
TBC Alum

Postby RVB » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:31 am

Philippine phenom Kobe Paras joins Jays, says Creighton feels like home

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-bas ... 8bb07.html
RVB

Postby flixx » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:34 am

I am pleased with the commit.
Just a question, though: How can this kid be academically ineligible for UCLA when he is OK for Creighton? I mean there are players at UCLA who are not exactly Rhodes Scholars. So why was he not academically qualified for UCLA?
flixx

Postby flixx » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:40 am

found this below:
so I guess the UCLA Basketball team has SAT scores greater than 2064...

Due to an issue in his transfer and credit this past school year, Paras suited up for the Middlebrooks Academy, a basketball prep program that is also run by Cathedral's coach William Middlebrooks.

Last February, Cathedral High School announced that Paras had scored 1750 on his SAT, which is regarded as a high score.

However, the average incoming UCLA freshman has a score of 2064.

The withdrawal comes just weeks after Paras checked in on campus with the school, tweeting his visits and his locker room nameplate. He even had a chance to meet his fellow class of 2016 recruits during his visit.

“The issue is SAT. Based on UCLA’s standards and his announced score, he fell below the UCLA average,” coach William Middlebrooks said.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/sports/06/30/16 ... ut-of-ucla
flixx

Postby Jet915 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:47 am

flixx wrote:I am pleased with the commit.
Just a question, though: How can this kid be academically ineligible for UCLA when he is OK for Creighton? I mean there are players at UCLA who are not exactly Rhodes Scholars. So why was he not academically qualified for UCLA?

UCLA is ALOT harder to get into compared to Creighton in general; however, i find it hard to believe that UCLA basketball players have that high of SATs...

Im happy we got Paras but i have a feeling Alford used the admissions department as a way to dump kobe without much backlash while maintaining the compton aau pipeline....
Jet915

Postby Eye of the Jay » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:57 am

Pretty sure that score is all incoming freshmen - not basketball players in particular. Luckily Creighton is an ACT school ;) really standardized tests are BS. As long as he keeps his grades up everything will be fine
Eye of the Jay

Postby WBR Tom » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:27 pm

Jet915 wrote:Im happy we got Paras but i have a feeling Alford used the admissions department as a way to dump kobe without much backlash while maintaining the compton aau pipeline....

It's Steve Alford we're talking about, so that would not surprise me one bit. He's had a used-car-salesman-esque sleazeball streak all the way back to his days at SMS (remember how he suspected Nerijus Karlikanovas had eligibility problems, but waited until the morning after a big performance against the Bears to call the NCAA about it?) :lol:
WBR Tom

Postby slaw » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:24 pm

slaw

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:40 pm

TBC Alum wrote:I'm still trying to get my arms around the impact that the fan base can and will have.

What are you expecting in that regard? Jays online sites will see an increase. Fox, if it ports BE Games to the PI will get the biggest boost. The Creighton-owned and various commercial clothing and paraphrenaliz online sites should see increases. Perhaps an uptick in road attendance if we play in Cali, Louisiana, or other area with a sizable Philipino population. What other impacts do you envision?
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting