Visits

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Visits

Postby cu8493 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:42 pm

I don't recall who said it, so I can't give appropriate attribution. I once heard a coach say that has told recruits (probably not a direct quote): "My job is to get you to sign and to then try to sign someone who can beat you out." I think every recruit understands that the coach is not going to quit recruiting just because he committed or signed. I don't want the players who want the coach to stop recruiting their position.
cu8493

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:48 pm

Ty-Shon and Mitch are top level guys and they are still honing their skills. I doubt either fears competition-they will just work harder.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Jaysker12 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:50 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we only have one more scholarship to fill for the '17 class, no? They need a big desperately, so if they sign another guard it just means someone on the roster is likely getting shown the door next spring. Cmon Jet, keep up
Jaysker12

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:29 pm

People are getting too hung up on positions and measurements. The key is how does the kid play? I don't know enough about these prospects to comment on a specific player, but we can play with 4 guards as long as we're recruiting guards with both size and a propensity to rebound the ball. This is basically Villanova basketball.

Obviously, we can't trot out guys like Zierden to guard PFs, but someone like Ronnie (or someone with a skillset similar to Ronnie's) could easily play in a lineup with three other guards and a center. This is not something Mac has done at Creighton, but I'd be fine moving that way assuming we have the horses.
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby Jaysker12 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:30 pm

McKinney's Neighbor wrote:People are getting too hung up on positions and measurements. The key is how does the kid play? I don't know enough about these prospects to comment on a specific player, but we can play with 4 guards as long as we're recruiting guards with both size and a propensity to rebound the ball. This is basically Villanova basketball.

Obviously, we can't trot out guys like Zierden to guard PFs, but someone like Ronnie (or someone with a skillset similar to Ronnie's) could easily play in a lineup with three other guards and a center. This is not something Mac has done at Creighton, but I'd be fine moving that way assuming we have the horses.

I agree that as long as its someone who can rebound and defend, I don't care who plays the 4 or 5. Until we see more of Justin or Martin this coming season, however (two-thirds of our frontcourt starting in 2017), I think it would be unwise not to go after at least one more big. We will have zero depth in case of injury.
Jaysker12

Postby Eye of the Jay » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:43 pm

We have 2 open spots for 2017 with Hunter decommitting. Need another big but would definitely take a commitment from a top 100 guard
Eye of the Jay

Postby bluejayfan00 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:05 pm

Obviously, you stockpile as much talent as you can regardless of position. However, there comes a point where you have to go with need and what your depth is at that position. If we don't land another guard in 17', we'll be fine with what is expected to be here in 17'-18. Foster, Mintz, Ballock, Alexander, Joseph, Paras. That's two point guards, 3 off guards who could play point if absolutely needed but that's doubtful barring injury, and a guard who can always play a forward spot.

If we don't land another big in the 17' class, for 17-18 with our current roster and commitments we'll have Patton, Hegner, and Krampelj. Patton has a TON of potential and I believe he'll be a stud. We know what we're getting with Hegner. A guy who's not afraid to mix it up and is a heck of a shooter when he's on, but has athletic limitations. Krampelj looks to be a good athlete who shouldn't struggle athletically or physically, but he hasn't played meaningful minutes and he has had a major knee injury. I'm not comfortable going into that season if that's the only bigs we have on the roster. I haven't seen us in on very many bigs for the 17 class, and I'm not sure how many quality ones are left, or ones that we could realistically get in on. If the staff is banking on the grad transfer route, that's a big risk, as you don't know what players will be available. If they wanna go the JUCO route, that's fine as well, however you rarely see quality JUCO bigs have a significant impact and if they do it takes awhile to become acclimated to D-1 ball.

I believe Patton will be a stud, Toby will be Toby, and Martin is a question mark. We just need depth at the 4 and 5 spot much more than we do at the guard spot. I trust the staff. I didn't think we'd be recruiting this well, this soon, and they proved me wrong. I hope the 17 class ends with some solid kids.
bluejayfan00

Postby fritzpointer » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:20 pm

CU makes Wyatt Wilkes final five. The Staff has a lot of good options. Go Jays!
fritzpointer

Postby fritzpointer » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:24 am

Jack Nunge a 6'9" pf will visit CU Sept. 16.
fritzpointer

Postby Creigh_All_Day » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:49 am

fritzpointer wrote:Jack Nunge a 6'9" pf will visit CU Sept. 16.

I would be shocked if we land him over Iowa, but hopefully he has a great visit. He would fit our system perfectly with his size and ability to shoot.
Creigh_All_Day

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting