Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby BostonBlueJay » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:22 pm

section221jay wrote:
BostonBlueJay wrote:
section221jay wrote:Might want to check Epperson's offer list
http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jacob- ... tInterests
and compare it to Sam's...if you can find who, other than Lafayette, actually offered.

"LOL"


Well, by your rationale, Patton must be bad, too, right?


Are you actually being serious with this post or are you just screwing around at this point?

Because if you're serious that's really stupid. Patton was a non-entity as a Jr. But had he not accepted CU's offer early that next summer he absolutely would have been offered by all kinds of power conference programs once his progress was witnessed on the summer AAU circuit. They didn't miss so much as they just never really had a chance.

If you're just screwing around...carry on.

Listen, Sam Dunkum could develop into the next great thing....but the overwhelming likelihood is that he'll be very fortunate to achieve what Geoff Groselle did. And nearly every coach in D1 basketball agrees. Hell, GREG MCDERMOTT agrees or the kid would have a scholarship by now. I'll go with their assessment over your brief film study.


Some of you need to chill the F out... Seriously. My INITIAL POST was to simply say that in Dunkum's highlights, he looked more aggressive that Epperson. THAT. WAS. IT. Make one observation about how one recruit (who's on campus) looked a little more aggressive than the quote, "higher ranked one" (that just committed) and people act like I shat on the center court logo.

Next thing I know, you makes a snide comment about "well, I'll trust the million-dollar-job-holding coaches" blah-blah-blah and then act all high and mighty about how Dunkum is trash because he didn't receive any major looks, etc. Forget the fact that clearly our coaches saw something in him (otherwise he wouldn't be here) and if the # of offers a player has is the gold standard and be all/end all, then Patton (who we all think the world of) got one D-1 offer...US.

But some people on this board are so full of themselves and quick to refer to someone else as stupid, silly, dumb, etc. just because someone makes an observation and have an opinion that is just different than yours? Some of you (and feel free to include yourself if the shoe fits) feel like they are the freaking masters of all things college basketball. Why? Cause you were fans of Creighton dating back to their MVC days and now because they are in the BE people act like they all of a sudden are superior to everyone else? Get off your high horse.
User avatar
BostonBlueJay
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:00 pm
Location: Boston, MA

 

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby section221jay » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:02 am

The fact is that drawing Patton's recruitment into the comparison showed a lack of understanding of that particular situation. It was in no way comparable to the other two. Was calling it "stupid" too strong? Meh...

And if we are talking about going to far then don't accuse me of calling Dunkum "trash".
section221jay
 
Posts: 2056
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby drbluejay » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:26 am

I think Sam is better than some people give him credit. He is 2 years past playing high school, has added 20 lbs or more and grew 2 inches. He is stronger, and my thinking is he is a much better player than he was 2 years ago. This is why he left Lafayette. I see his position similar to Huff and Watson leaving to a bigger and better stage just not as polished as those 2. Sam will end up on scholarship sometime in the near future. I wish him luck and thank him for picking Creighton.
drbluejay
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:19 am

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:30 am

drbluejay wrote:I think Sam is better than some people give him credit. He is 2 years past playing high school, has added 20 lbs or more and grew 2 inches. He is stronger, and my thinking is he is a much better player than he was 2 years ago. This is why he left Lafayette. I see his position similar to Huff and Watson leaving to a bigger and better stage just not as polished as those 2. Sam will end up on scholarship sometime in the near future. I wish him luck and thank him for picking Creighton.


I honestly hope you guys who think that Dunkum is going to become some kind of force in the paint in the Big East are right on.

But I'm really baffled at why anyone thinks that is likely. I don't have a clue what his best or worst case scenario is because he has basically never played meaningful minutes in college anywhere.

You say he's bigger, stronger, and much better than he was 2 years ago -- what do you possibly base that on? He's absolutely 2 years older, but have you actually seen him do anything at all on a basketball court in the last 2 years? Are you going to practices and seeing him show how much better he is? Or are you just guessing that because our coaching staff took him in that he must be really good? It seems to me like the coaching staff would jump at the chance to bring in a transfer, not on scholarship, with a 7 foot frame, if for no other reason at all than you can't find guys with that size and length growing on trees to throw out there in practices.

You say his improvement is why he left Lafayette and it's like Huff and Watson coming to a bigger and better stage. What is that comparison and conclusion based on? Huff and Watson both played big-time minutes and demonstrated on the "smaller" stages that they had a ton to offer. Dunkum wasn't able to get on the floor playing for a terrible bottom-feeder Patriot league team. His situation seems nothing at all, even remotely in the wildest stretches of imagination, similar to Huff or Watson. That could totally be his motivation and he could be a sleeper -- but based on what he did at Lafayette, I don't see the comparison.

You say he will end up on scholarship soon. But I'm looking at the roster and the outstanding offers, and I'm not seeing where an open scholarship is likely for a guy that appears to be a big body brought in for practice team work. And I haven't heard anything from anyone associated with the program to suggest a scholarship is likely.

Like I said -- I would absolutely love for you to be completely right. I'd love for this dude to get so good that he starts popping up on preseason player of the year lists. I don't want to see him amount to nothing, at all. But I just don't see the basis or reason for people's expectation that he's going to be an impact player. Maybe you can shed some light on it that I've completely missed?
User avatar
Outlaw_Wales
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby AttyAlum » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:51 am

My understanding is that even if one attended practice, they wouldn't have been able to draw any significant conclusions because Sam has not practiced very much due to lingering injuries that he had prior to arriving on campus.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
User avatar
AttyAlum
 
Posts: 4009
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:02 am

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:57 am

AttyAlum wrote:My understanding is that even if one attended practice, they wouldn't have been able to draw any significant conclusions because Sam has not practiced very much due to lingering injuries that he had prior to arriving on campus.


That's what I've heard too. I'm just really stretching to try to figure out where the opinion that he's going to be so good is coming from. Hope he is. Truly. But just don't get where people are coming from when I haven't heard anything to suggest a basis for those opinions. Actually hoping someone will have something to base the opinions on that really shuts me up!
User avatar
Outlaw_Wales
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby mredle » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:30 am

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
drbluejay wrote:I think Sam is better than some people give him credit. He is 2 years past playing high school, has added 20 lbs or more and grew 2 inches. He is stronger, and my thinking is he is a much better player than he was 2 years ago. This is why he left Lafayette. I see his position similar to Huff and Watson leaving to a bigger and better stage just not as polished as those 2. Sam will end up on scholarship sometime in the near future. I wish him luck and thank him for picking Creighton.


I honestly hope you guys who think that Dunkum is going to become some kind of force in the paint in the Big East are right on.

But I'm really baffled at why anyone thinks that is likely. I don't have a clue what his best or worst case scenario is because he has basically never played meaningful minutes in college anywhere.

You say he's bigger, stronger, and much better than he was 2 years ago -- what do you possibly base that on? He's absolutely 2 years older, but have you actually seen him do anything at all on a basketball court in the last 2 years? Are you going to practices and seeing him show how much better he is? Or are you just guessing that because our coaching staff took him in that he must be really good? It seems to me like the coaching staff would jump at the chance to bring in a transfer, not on scholarship, with a 7 foot frame, if for no other reason at all than you can't find guys with that size and length growing on trees to throw out there in practices.

You say his improvement is why he left Lafayette and it's like Huff and Watson coming to a bigger and better stage. What is that comparison and conclusion based on? Huff and Watson both played big-time minutes and demonstrated on the "smaller" stages that they had a ton to offer. Dunkum wasn't able to get on the floor playing for a terrible bottom-feeder Patriot league team. His situation seems nothing at all, even remotely in the wildest stretches of imagination, similar to Huff or Watson. That could totally be his motivation and he could be a sleeper -- but based on what he did at Lafayette, I don't see the comparison.

You say he will end up on scholarship soon. But I'm looking at the roster and the outstanding offers, and I'm not seeing where an open scholarship is likely for a guy that appears to be a big body brought in for practice team work. And I haven't heard anything from anyone associated with the program to suggest a scholarship is likely.

Like I said -- I would absolutely love for you to be completely right. I'd love for this dude to get so good that he starts popping up on preseason player of the year lists. I don't want to see him amount to nothing, at all. But I just don't see the basis or reason for people's expectation that he's going to be an impact player. Maybe you can shed some light on it that I've completely missed?


+1
mredle
 
Posts: 1271
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby vivid_dude » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:42 pm

drbluejay wrote:I think Sam is better than some people give him credit. He is 2 years past playing high school, has added 20 lbs or more and grew 2 inches. He is stronger, and my thinking is he is a much better player than he was 2 years ago. This is why he left Lafayette. I see his position similar to Huff and Watson leaving to a bigger and better stage just not as polished as those 2. Sam will end up on scholarship sometime in the near future. I wish him luck and thank him for picking Creighton.


People are telling me that he's a cross between Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Bill Russell and Alan Huss.
User avatar
vivid_dude
 
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby Bluejay Rey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:46 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
drbluejay wrote:I think Sam is better than some people give him credit. He is 2 years past playing high school, has added 20 lbs or more and grew 2 inches. He is stronger, and my thinking is he is a much better player than he was 2 years ago. This is why he left Lafayette. I see his position similar to Huff and Watson leaving to a bigger and better stage just not as polished as those 2. Sam will end up on scholarship sometime in the near future. I wish him luck and thank him for picking Creighton.


People are telling me that he's a cross between Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Bill Russell and Alan Huss.


Possibly a poor man's version of Bill O'Dowd
Never trust a big butt and a smile.
User avatar
Bluejay Rey
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:42 am

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby JayPak » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Bluejay Rey wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:
drbluejay wrote:I think Sam is better than some people give him credit. He is 2 years past playing high school, has added 20 lbs or more and grew 2 inches. He is stronger, and my thinking is he is a much better player than he was 2 years ago. This is why he left Lafayette. I see his position similar to Huff and Watson leaving to a bigger and better stage just not as polished as those 2. Sam will end up on scholarship sometime in the near future. I wish him luck and thank him for picking Creighton.


People are telling me that he's a cross between Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Bill Russell and Alan Huss.


Possibly a poor man's version of Bill O'Dowd

If only he can raise the team's GPA like O'Dowd! But he might actually be able to, since he got into Lafayette.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
User avatar
JayPak
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:00 am

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests