Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby BostonBlueJay » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:07 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
drbluejay wrote:I think Sam is better than some people give him credit. He is 2 years past playing high school, has added 20 lbs or more and grew 2 inches. He is stronger, and my thinking is he is a much better player than he was 2 years ago. This is why he left Lafayette. I see his position similar to Huff and Watson leaving to a bigger and better stage just not as polished as those 2. Sam will end up on scholarship sometime in the near future. I wish him luck and thank him for picking Creighton.


I honestly hope you guys who think that Dunkum is going to become some kind of force in the paint in the Big East are right on.

But I'm really baffled at why anyone thinks that is likely. I don't have a clue what his best or worst case scenario is because he has basically never played meaningful minutes in college anywhere.

You say he's bigger, stronger, and much better than he was 2 years ago -- what do you possibly base that on? He's absolutely 2 years older, but have you actually seen him do anything at all on a basketball court in the last 2 years? Are you going to practices and seeing him show how much better he is? Or are you just guessing that because our coaching staff took him in that he must be really good? It seems to me like the coaching staff would jump at the chance to bring in a transfer, not on scholarship, with a 7 foot frame, if for no other reason at all than you can't find guys with that size and length growing on trees to throw out there in practices.

You say his improvement is why he left Lafayette and it's like Huff and Watson coming to a bigger and better stage. What is that comparison and conclusion based on? Huff and Watson both played big-time minutes and demonstrated on the "smaller" stages that they had a ton to offer. Dunkum wasn't able to get on the floor playing for a terrible bottom-feeder Patriot league team. His situation seems nothing at all, even remotely in the wildest stretches of imagination, similar to Huff or Watson. That could totally be his motivation and he could be a sleeper -- but based on what he did at Lafayette, I don't see the comparison.

You say he will end up on scholarship soon. But I'm looking at the roster and the outstanding offers, and I'm not seeing where an open scholarship is likely for a guy that appears to be a big body brought in for practice team work. And I haven't heard anything from anyone associated with the program to suggest a scholarship is likely.

Like I said -- I would absolutely love for you to be completely right. I'd love for this dude to get so good that he starts popping up on preseason player of the year lists. I don't want to see him amount to nothing, at all. But I just don't see the basis or reason for people's expectation that he's going to be an impact player. Maybe you can shed some light on it that I've completely missed?


Well, he might not amount to much at this level...but then again, maybe he will? There have been countless recruits that simply didn't get recognized or developed into much more than initially thought so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

For me, it's not as baffling whether some people believe he "comes good"...it's more baffling those here that scoff and attack anyone that does think that way. I mean, I hope every player that sets foot on our campus is a gamer and can have a positive impact. Why wouldn't everyone want that?

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-bas ... 641b9.html
User avatar
BostonBlueJay
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:00 pm
Location: Boston, MA

 

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:39 pm

BostonBlueJay wrote:
Outlaw_Wales wrote:
drbluejay wrote:I think Sam is better than some people give him credit. He is 2 years past playing high school, has added 20 lbs or more and grew 2 inches. He is stronger, and my thinking is he is a much better player than he was 2 years ago. This is why he left Lafayette. I see his position similar to Huff and Watson leaving to a bigger and better stage just not as polished as those 2. Sam will end up on scholarship sometime in the near future. I wish him luck and thank him for picking Creighton.


I honestly hope you guys who think that Dunkum is going to become some kind of force in the paint in the Big East are right on.

But I'm really baffled at why anyone thinks that is likely. I don't have a clue what his best or worst case scenario is because he has basically never played meaningful minutes in college anywhere.

You say he's bigger, stronger, and much better than he was 2 years ago -- what do you possibly base that on? He's absolutely 2 years older, but have you actually seen him do anything at all on a basketball court in the last 2 years? Are you going to practices and seeing him show how much better he is? Or are you just guessing that because our coaching staff took him in that he must be really good? It seems to me like the coaching staff would jump at the chance to bring in a transfer, not on scholarship, with a 7 foot frame, if for no other reason at all than you can't find guys with that size and length growing on trees to throw out there in practices.

You say his improvement is why he left Lafayette and it's like Huff and Watson coming to a bigger and better stage. What is that comparison and conclusion based on? Huff and Watson both played big-time minutes and demonstrated on the "smaller" stages that they had a ton to offer. Dunkum wasn't able to get on the floor playing for a terrible bottom-feeder Patriot league team. His situation seems nothing at all, even remotely in the wildest stretches of imagination, similar to Huff or Watson. That could totally be his motivation and he could be a sleeper -- but based on what he did at Lafayette, I don't see the comparison.

You say he will end up on scholarship soon. But I'm looking at the roster and the outstanding offers, and I'm not seeing where an open scholarship is likely for a guy that appears to be a big body brought in for practice team work. And I haven't heard anything from anyone associated with the program to suggest a scholarship is likely.

Like I said -- I would absolutely love for you to be completely right. I'd love for this dude to get so good that he starts popping up on preseason player of the year lists. I don't want to see him amount to nothing, at all. But I just don't see the basis or reason for people's expectation that he's going to be an impact player. Maybe you can shed some light on it that I've completely missed?


Well, he might not amount to much at this level...but then again, maybe he will? There have been countless recruits that simply didn't get recognized or developed into much more than initially thought so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

For me, it's not as baffling whether some people believe he "comes good"...it's more baffling those here that scoff and attack anyone that does think that way. I mean, I hope every player that sets foot on our campus is a gamer and can have a positive impact. Why wouldn't everyone want that?

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-bas ... 641b9.html


I don't know how much more clearly I can say this: I HOPE HE BECOMES THE GREATEST PLAYER EVER TO SUIT UP AT CREIGHTON AND HAS A POSITIVE IMPACT. Absolutely nobody has said that they don't want that -- certainly not me. And I'm not "scoffing" and "attacking" anyone who believes he will "come good."

ALL I am saying is that several people now -- and specifically drbluejay in the post I was responding to -- are making assertions that he IS going to be an impact player next year, that he HAS become something other than the player who has basically not made it onto the court at all at a very low level school before transferring, etc. And I'm asking what makes people who feel that way feel that way or believe it. Because I have not heard anything from anyone who is connected to the program saying anything that suggests any evidence of it. drbluejay asserted that he's "much better" than he was 2 years ago, asserted that he "left Lafayette" because of his improvement, asserted that his position is "similar to Huff and Watson" looking for a bigger stage than where he was, asserted that he "will end up on scholarship in the near future." And so far nobody has been able to provide any indication at all of anything to support any of those assertions.

I HOPE IT DOES HAPPEN. I HOPE IT DOES HAPPEN. I DON'T WANT TO SEE HIM FAIL. I DON'T WANT TO SEE HIM FAIL. But if you're going to assert that you have a reason to believe that it actually has with this guy at this point -- tell me why.

"Well, he might not amount to much at this level...but then again, maybe he will?" Exactly. I haven't said anything different than that at all. And I'm certainly not scoffing or attacking anyone who thinks that way. I AGREE COMPLETELY. My only question is to those who seem to be suggesting that there is some reason to believe that Dunkum is going to be an impact player anytime soon -- what is that based on? And I'm still waiting.
User avatar
Outlaw_Wales
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby section221jay » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Maybe he won't...maybe he will though. Deeps thoughts.
section221jay
 
Posts: 2037
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby Jaysker12 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:11 am

For him to be that size in such a low major conference and receive essentially no PT - that is where my notion that he's not that good comes from. I honestly don't know how any rational person with the same information reaches a different conclusion. Was he injured a lot like Geoff?
Jaysker12
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby ictjay » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:37 am

Jaysker12 wrote:For him to be that size in such a low major conference and receive essentially no PT - that is where my notion that he's not that good comes from. I honestly don't know how any rational person with the same information reaches a different conclusion. Was he injured a lot like Geoff?


Injured the whole time he was there.
User avatar
ictjay
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:19 pm
Location: Wichta Kansas

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby mredle » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:17 am

What is Sam's time running 7 furlongs?
mredle
 
Posts: 1221
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby CJayS » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:07 pm

Fortunately for him he's not a race horse, because it doesn't end well for horses that are injured most of their careers...
I hope he's at least a solid practice body. Anything more than that is just icing. Hopefully they'll land Blumbergs if JP decides to take the money and run.
Adding Blumbergs and Bowen would be a monumental recruiting haul for CU.
User avatar
CJayS
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:25 am

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Sam on the MaxPreps - NCAA Tourney "All Name Team".

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/VbVMZOeX5k ... e-team.htm
"@OmahaEliteAAU: I refuse to lower my expectations for those who will not elevate their own." +1

I am an optimist. @gtmoBlue
Omaha Tech - Troy Lives.
User avatar
gtmoBlue
 
Posts: 2159
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:43 am
Location: Canal Zone, Panama

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri May 12, 2017 2:02 pm

My boy, Slammin' Sammy Dunkum is gonna be wearing me and @Colehoops number...#13! I knew I luv'd this kid for some reason; other than he's 7', talented, handsome (like ol' git), and is a proven winner on the court. Slam Dunkum gonna be wearin' my number...all is right in the World (with exception to our lyin' ass Pres).

Go Big Slammin' Sam! ;)
"@OmahaEliteAAU: I refuse to lower my expectations for those who will not elevate their own." +1

I am an optimist. @gtmoBlue
Omaha Tech - Troy Lives.
User avatar
gtmoBlue
 
Posts: 2159
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:43 am
Location: Canal Zone, Panama

Re: Transfer Sam Dunkum, 7 footer (Walk-On Commit)

Postby drbluejay » Sat May 13, 2017 8:43 am

I have never said Dunkum is going to be a force in the paint next year or any year. I said I think he will surprise people with how good he is, just as Clement has surprised some people with how good he is. I also said something about him being put on scholarship which is what Dunkum was quoted as saying. Why do some continue to attack others for anything they say on this site?
drbluejay
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:19 am

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: #RollJays, gtmoBlue, Jays26, Sundeckers, yeti47 and 21 guests