2017 C Roberts Blumbergs (Grand Canyon Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 C Roberts Blumbergs (Grand Canyon Commit)

Postby bluejayfan00 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:42 pm

cujaysfan wrote:dunkum, duh!

How could I ever forget.
bluejayfan00

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:58 pm

Reading more into this kid, we may have missed out more than I thought. I've read a couple of reputable recruiting outfits call him "arguably the best center available" and a "potential Top 100 talent," "with NBA upside." It looks like it was down to us and GCU, which I don't know quite how to feel about.

Also, I didn't know that Dan Majerle coached at Grand Canyon. If I'm being totally honest, if you challenged me to name 300 NCAA basketball teams, I don't think I would have come up with Grand Canyon. Very obscure (to me at least). Crazy that he picked that school over Seton Hall, Creighton, Auburn, Georgia Tech - among others. They do seem to be focusing on overseas recruiting, which isn't a bad niche to develop at a school with its (lack of) history. Good for them. Who's next in the frontcourt?
vivid_dude

Postby hilltopalum » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:10 pm

check out first post of transfer thread
hilltopalum

Postby hilltopalum » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:11 pm

vivid_dude wrote:Reading more into this kid, we may have missed out more than I thought. I've read a couple of reputable recruiting outfits call him "arguably the best center available" and a "potential Top 100 talent," "with NBA upside." It looks like it was down to us and GCU, which I don't know quite how to feel about.

One thing I am sure of with his recruitment is if the coaches thought he would come in a be a better option than Hegner or Krampelj in the post, he'd be a Bluejay.
hilltopalum

Postby WBR Tom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:06 pm

vivid_dude wrote:Also, I didn't know that Dan Majerle coached at Grand Canyon. If I'm being totally honest, if you challenged me to name 300 NCAA basketball teams, I don't think I would have come up with Grand Canyon. Very obscure (to me at least). Crazy that he picked that school over Seton Hall, Creighton, Auburn, Georgia Tech - among others. They do seem to be focusing on overseas recruiting, which isn't a bad niche to develop at a school with its (lack of) history. Good for them. Who's next in the frontcourt?

Before today, me too -- probably because they've only been DI for three years. Apparently Majerle's old boss from the Suns, NBA HOF'er and head of USA Basketball Jerry Colangelo, is involved in the GCU program and the school in general, so much so that the university's business school is named for him. I've heard their sales pitch to Blumbergs was their NBA connections (Colangelo especially) would help him get to the league.

For a Euro player looking to break into America (and who doesn't get/care that the WAC is a vastly inferior league to the Big East), that's probably a tough sales pitch to beat.

On the other hand, losing a recruiting battle to a low-major with no established track record of actually putting guys into the NBA is a bad look.

Not sure how to feel about this...
WBR Tom

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:20 pm

hilltopalum wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:Reading more into this kid, we may have missed out more than I thought. I've read a couple of reputable recruiting outfits call him "arguably the best center available" and a "potential Top 100 talent," "with NBA upside." It looks like it was down to us and GCU, which I don't know quite how to feel about.

One thing I am sure of with his recruitment is if the coaches thought he would come in a be a better option than Hegner or Krampelj in the post, he'd be a Bluejay.

Interesting. Can you elaborate? How are you sure of that? Is it something you were told?
vivid_dude

Postby hilltopalum » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:50 pm

Coaches saw the potential, however they doubted he would jump Hegner or Martin on the depth chart.

If Patton leaves the long-term answer is Epperson. The short-term answer is likely going to be a grad-transfer. Jays not willing to sacrifice a ride with so many good transfer options available for a fairly unknown product in Blumbergs. Was told they really liked him and he has a chance to be a really nice prospect but Jays have a really nice post prospect, no need to muddy up those waters when a spot on the roster could be better used for a more impact player.

Trust me if JP were to leave, Creighton will be a fairly attractive to a 5th year big.
hilltopalum

Postby section202jay » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:25 pm

I don't understand what is there is to be upset about. If we didn't offer then how can we be upset? We have one open scholarship spot currently and that is being reserved for Bowen I'm guessing.

So if you're Roberts Blumbergs and you have 'Company A' headhunting you but doesn't have a spot open for you just yet (or ever) but you have 'Company B' headhunting you and they do have a spot for you, then wouldn't you choose 'Company B' because you're looking to make a decision soon?

I have heard of Grand Canyon University since their inclusion in D1 because of their good soccer program. Also, they have a really great atmosphere for their NCAAB team.

And a fun side note - As a new parent with an 11-month-old at home who watches Baby First TV (DirecTV channel 293 for those interested), Grand Canyon University runs constant ads on there pumping the message of their private, religious atmosphere. I'm guessing they have a strong online course program to be running national commercials to stay at home moms or part-time stay at home dads like myself.
section202jay

Postby JaysWinJaysWin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:00 pm

I agree that the whole point is that we are saving the scholarship for Bowen. Even if you believe that Patton is leaving (which might be more likely than not) we don't have the extra scholarship for anybody but Bowen until Patton gives up the option of coming back. Anybody know how this works? Even with Markkanen leaving, Arizona does not have a scholarship for Bowen according to this analysis.
http://www.wildcatuniverse.com/arizona-wildcats-basketball-roster-rotation-scholarship-situation/
And Arizona still wants another five-star guy. Trevon Duval. Arizona needs a guy to leave. And maybe two guys. Trier is projected 39. Maybe he won't leave. Maybe nobody else leaves. Can Arizona just tell a couple of bench guys to leave? Maybe I don't get it but it seems like math plays into this. We need an open scholarship for Bowen and so does Arizona. Sounds like our hands were tied and it was a matter of timing (if Patton does leave).
Last edited by JaysWinJaysWin on Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
JaysWinJaysWin

Postby cu8493 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:19 pm

For the record, my comment was tongue in cheek. Not upset at all. Good luck to him. My child almost went there couple years back. If you have a senior next year, they will fly him/her there for a visit.
cu8493

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting