2018 F Ian Steere (Decommit, NC State Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2018 F Ian Steere (Commit)

Postby Ethanfor3 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:31 pm

Congratulations Ian and super excited about this get for the Jays.

His offer list is ridiculous and if all of those are real offers, we got ourselves a very big piece to the puzzle. Quality, mobile bigs are a premium in big boy basketball and we now have ourselves one.

Go Blue
Ethanfor3

Postby ictjay » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:23 pm

"Real offers"? Pretty sure they are legit.
ictjay

Postby TBC Alum » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:58 pm

Kinda liked the blue uni from his announcement. Can he also design some new uni's in his spare time?
TBC Alum

Postby Jaysker12 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:57 am

Kudos to the staff for targeting another under the radar guy, making him a priority, and securing a commitment. I am honestly shocked that a kid, playing on the east coast for a visible AAU team, with that body and athletic ability wasn't even on Rivals' radar. That workout vid - he explodes at the rim off two feet without much space to gather. That physical attribute speaks to his potential as a rim protector and rebounder. If he does have touch from 10-15 feet, holy lord...I still see him more as a center simply because we need a body like him down low, someone with that physicality.
Jaysker12

Postby section221jay » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:Kudos to the staff for targeting another under the radar guy, making him a priority, and securing a commitment. I am honestly shocked that a kid, playing on the east coast for a visible AAU team, with that body and athletic ability wasn't even on Rivals' radar. That workout vid - he explodes at the rim off two feet without much space to gather. That physical attribute speaks to his potential as a rim protector and rebounder. If he does have touch from 10-15 feet, holy lord...I still see him more as a center simply because we need a body like him down low, someone with that physicality.

Depending on what Epperson does this year (redshirt?) there may be no separation in class for them. This guy appears too good to be a back up for 3 or 4 years. CU needs a FORWARD with this body type IMO to play a lot of minutes in Big East play and the tourney. I love having 4 guys out there that can rain 3s as much as anyone but I don't see that as a formula for success in March.
section221jay

Postby Jet915 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:25 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:Kudos to the staff for targeting another under the radar guy, making him a priority, and securing a commitment. I am honestly shocked that a kid, playing on the east coast for a visible AAU team, with that body and athletic ability wasn't even on Rivals' radar. That workout vid - he explodes at the rim off two feet without much space to gather. That physical attribute speaks to his potential as a rim protector and rebounder. If he does have touch from 10-15 feet, holy lord...I still see him more as a center simply because we need a body like him down low, someone with that physicality.

Under the radar maybe as far as rankings so far but he had offers from Kansas, Louisville, Maryland, NC State, Clemson, etc....
Jet915

Postby Jaysker12 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:30 pm

section221jay wrote:

Depending on what Epperson does this year (redshirt?) there may be no separation in class for them. This guy appears too good to be a back up for 3 or 4 years. CU needs a FORWARD with this body type IMO to play a lot of minutes in Big East play and the tourney. I love having 4 guys out there that can rain 3s as much as anyone but I don't see that as a formula for success in March.

I am high on Epperson as well, and agree that Steere shouldn't be sitting on the bench. Biggest question for me is, who will rebound and protect the rim better? That's who should be playing underneath the basket.
Jaysker12

Postby Duke1Agn » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:03 pm

Epperson is a 5. Steere is a 4. They should compliment each other extremely well.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:19 pm

"Under the radar"? The kid had offers from Kansas and Louisville and several other ACC schools, as well as interest from UConn. Hard to call someone under the radar when the blue bloods have offered him a scholarship.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Agree with Duke and Josey...He should complement Jacob quite well and perhaps was under our and Rivals radars. Scout (#76) and Espn have Ian as a 4 star recruit. The various videos may be suspect, but it appears Ian "has touch" out to the 3 pt range. Great pickup for the Jays.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting