Spring Signing Period

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Spring Signing Period

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri May 19, 2017 8:36 pm

Firstly, I'm merely saying that Starting Tugs at the 4 and Khyri at the 3 puts us in a hole immediately when playing against conventional lineups. Small ball lineups are great when your opponent is tired, or is sagging a zone, or packing the paint. As your starting lineup such a lineup needs to be Wragge-esque and hit a lot of shots, cause the opponent is likely to grab most of the rebounds, get a good number of 2nd chance points, etc.

I am not "worried" about the Jays matador defense - it is what it is. Just don't make things worse by deliberately playing a guy (Tugs) in positions they are not suited for. With a true 4 (Hegner or Krampelj) starting we have sufficient size to keep opponents honest, to rebound, to protect the rim.

No one said anything about Khyri not playing, merely not starting at the 3. He'll get minutes in the normal rotation, just not 31 of them. Playing both Thomas and Bowen out of position provides the opponents great mismatch opportunities to exploit and potentially gets our guys tagged with early fouls. Thomas can still do his thing defensively...as he is a very good defensive player, but no one is indispensable.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Realhoops » Fri May 19, 2017 8:46 pm

I do not understand the reality in which people are living who think there is any possibility at all that Mac will not be starting KT next year, as the best player in the team. It blows my mind, both from a rational-thinking pov and from an understanding of how Mac plays guys he trusts pov.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri May 19, 2017 10:49 pm

Realhoops wrote:I do not understand the reality in which people are living who think there is any possibility at all that Mac will not be starting KT next year, as the best player in the team. It blows my mind, both from a rational-thinking pov and from an understanding of how Mac plays guys he trusts pov.

It is a reality where things change, where a coach may opt to depart from parts of his 6-year history due to an upgrade in the talent of his team.

Most would say Marcus is the teams' best player.

Khyri is a very good player and a hometown kid. By most accounts Tugs is a game changer type player. When you have such a situation you make the change as needed. Khyri will still get his minutes (20+/-).

Bowen is a sf not a pf, so start him at the 3. Why would a coach intentionally put a potential game changing player in at a major disadvantage by playing him at pf against taller, bigger, stronger players? The goal is to enhance, not limit or hamper, his effectiveness.

Creighton has never had a top 10 to 20 player (except Benoit, prior to ratings - Patton was 24 [Scout]), so it is understandable that there needs to be some adjustments made by staff & fans, in attitudes, expectations, and player management practices. Khyri will adjust to help the team and will remain a valued asset to the Jays team.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Alphawalt » Fri May 19, 2017 11:05 pm

Khyri is one of the best defensive players in the country, there can be no debate about that. Offensively, starting this season, he is either the second best (if Tugs does not don a Jays uniform), or even the best (if Tugs is not here, and Foster has one of his bad shooting nights). He is the most complete and reliable player we have. I would not be surprised if he averages More than 31 minutes per game. I view him as the cornerstone of our team for next season.

In reading the last few pages of this thread, it seems people have forgotten our rallying mantra #letitfly. The current team including signed incoming players clearly is built to be a small ball sharpshooting offense, with pesky ball hawking defense. We don't have players to outrebound teams with big interior players. I for one think our shooting and hopefully crisp passing will overcome any size disadvantage. Our style of play and shooting will create more problems for teams with big players that aren't swift than vice versa. I personally do not want to see three of any combination of our taller players on the court at one time. Where would the points come from? I say this year, more than ever #letitfly. That is the team Tugs wants to join, the most exciting style of play, and the most opportunity to win the most games.
Alphawalt

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Sat May 20, 2017 8:12 am

In the world I live in, Khyri is the best two way player on our team by a landslide. He will lead our team in minutes played barring injury.
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby LJay » Sat May 20, 2017 9:12 am

Yeah, there is a lot of "next-bright-shiny-object'itis" among this group.

Taz is the shitz!
89 - 60
LJay

Postby AttyAlum » Sat May 20, 2017 9:13 am

I get a kick out of people saying we will be poor defensively without more height. We played with Patton at the five last year and he didn't rebound at all and regularly got owned while playing D against other centers.

I'm of the belief that rebounding is the most underrated stat in basketball. I also believe that most of the games we lose, we lose because we don't rebound well. That being said, I've learned after Artino and Patton that height is severely overrated when it comes to a player being a good rebounder. Strength, attitude ("want to") and athleticism are much more important.
"But I truly care about Creighton and the fans and what they've done for me the last three years. I want to give them one more year and take care of business in the Big East so we can prove people wrong.'' ---- Doug McDermott
AttyAlum

Postby BostonBlueJay » Sat May 20, 2017 9:32 am

gtmoBlue wrote:If I recall the post (previous page) I believe I said "Splitting time with Khyri". I never mentioned starting over Khyri. :lol:
:o

Still shouldn't "split time" with your best player.
BostonBlueJay

Postby BostonBlueJay » Sat May 20, 2017 9:34 am

AttyAlum wrote: That being said, I've learned after Artino and Patton that height is severely overrated when it comes to a player being a good rebounder. Strength, attitude ("want to") and athleticism are much more important.

Barkley and Rodman weren't tall... Barkley was what? 6'6"?? ...but both could rebound like no one's business.
BostonBlueJay

Postby Syajeulb » Sat May 20, 2017 10:53 am

Bob Harstad
Syajeulb

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting