2019 C Kofi Cockburn (Offered)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2019 C Kofi Cockburn (Offered)

Postby drbluejay » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:38 am

Alphawalt wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:per twitter, Alex Slater...Cockburn reduces friction by narrowing his focus & list... Jays didn't make the cut.

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/stat ... 8913921026

Looks like my comments at the top of this page were spot on. I don’t mind putting out a lot of offers. I do mind putting out unrealistic ones.

I assume you talked to Kofi Cockburn right after his Creighton offer and he told you he wasn't interested in Creighton.
drbluejay

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:09 am

Alphawalt wrote:
Looks like my comments at the top of this page were spot on. I don’t mind putting out a lot of offers. I do mind putting out unrealistic ones.

Can you expand on why this bothers you? I'm sincerely interested. How does it hurt Creighton in any way to put out an offer, even if it is unrealistic? By putting out an offer, it gets Creighton mentioned in these articles. It gives Creighton a chance. When the Jays offered, not many of the big programs had done so yet. Occasionally, recruits reward some of the first programs to show interest or loyalty. It didn't work out here, but it could elsewhere.

If our staff sees a talented recruit, establishes some sort of relationship or even minimal contact with him, they should offer. Every time, in my opinion. If you don't offer, you have NO CHANCE. If you do offer, that's not the case.
vivid_dude

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:20 am

Appears that the coaches and Alphawait have differing definitions of what "realistic" offers are. The coaches evidently have greater confidence in their possibilities to land more well known recruits. (Jays can't survive on Omaha kids alone). Creighton recruits nationwide, invariably we'll offer some kids who don't have great interest. As has been said by others in this and other recruiting threads - making offers gets and keeps our name/program mentioned and gives the Jays a shot at the commit. Alpha seems to think there is a hi-dollar cost/risk associated with making an offer. You can't win if you don't play.

The Jays put out 20-30 offers per year, just to pickup 2-4 players. We aren't UK/Duke who can put out 10-12 offers to top players and get 6 of them a year. Creighton has to work harder and smarter.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby mredle » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:46 am

Alphawalt wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:per twitter, Alex Slater...Cockburn reduces friction by narrowing his focus & list... Jays didn't make the cut.

The most apt analogy for recruiting isn't dating, it's sales. Sometimes in sales salesmen make what are called "cold calls." That's part of it as are contacts with kids you have some kind of connection with. My aunt used to teach at St Cats high school in Racine Wisconsin. When Jim Chones (now does color commentary for the Clevveland Cavaliers) was in 8th grades he received letters and promotional materials from close to a hundred colleges and universities. The vast majority of those are "cold calls." When I was getting recuited I knew 1 of the coaches. My coach knew several more. I guarantee you I certainly didn't know the coach at Dartmouth.
mredle

Postby Alphawalt » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:23 pm

mredle wrote:
Alphawalt wrote:

The most apt analogy for recruiting isn't dating, it's sales. Sometimes in sales salesmen make what are called "cold calls." That's part of it as are contacts with kids you have some kind of connection with. My aunt used to teach at St Cats high school in Racine Wisconsin. When Jim Chones (now does color commentary for the Clevveland Cavaliers) was in 8th grades he received letters and promotional materials from close to a hundred colleges and universities. The vast majority of those are "cold calls." When I was getting recuited I knew 1 of the coaches. My coach knew several more. I guarantee you I certainly didn't know the coach at Dartmouth.

I agree with your sales analogy. However, rather than doing “cold calls”, relying solely on sheer sales ability to talk someone into doing what they don’t want to buy, it is better to get “leads” from solid info. I remember a summer between semesters while I was in college, I was essentially a “cold calls” salesman for that product, and it was frustrating to have people say no all the time. When I got my hands on a list of “prospects”, boy did the sales come easier. Same with recruiting, an offer should not be casually made simply on the hopes that maybe with a really super long shot, we may sign a recruit. It should be based on at least some kind of “lead”. It seems sometimes we offer a kid when we see them at a tourney, and offers are made at the same time by most coaches who attended the tourney. I know that was the basic deal with this offer. We should be more selective. Sure we will never compete with Kentucky or Duke, but we need to make offers in part based on some probability of signing.
Alphawalt

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:06 pm

Alphawalt wrote:
mredle wrote:
Alphawalt wrote:

I agree with your sales analogy. However, rather than doing “cold calls”, relying solely on sheer sales ability to talk someone into doing what they don’t want to buy, it is better to get “leads” from solid info. I remember a summer between semesters while I was in college, I was essentially a “cold calls” salesman for that product, and it was frustrating to have people say no all the time. When I got my hands on a list of “prospects”, boy did the sales come easier. Same with recruiting, an offer should not be casually made simply on the hopes that maybe with a really super long shot, we may sign a recruit. It should be based on at least some kind of “lead”. It seems sometimes we offer a kid when we see them at a tourney, and offers are made at the same time by most coaches who attended the tourney. I know that was the basic deal with this offer. We should be more selective. Sure we will never compete with Kentucky or Duke, but we need to make offers in part based on some probability of signing.

Why?

How did making an offer you seem to believe was based on nothing at all harmed you, Creighton, or anyone else? And, of course, you have no clue at all if there was any kind of “lead” here ... you’re just assuming. But seriously - what harm is there that has you all upset about an offer being made?
Outlaw_Wales

Postby vivid_dude » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:05 am

Outlaw_Wales wrote:Why?

I've been trying to get this out of him in a couple different ways now. Hopefully, you have more luck than I do.

I see absolutely no downside to offering top recruits, especially in this case - where it was earlier in the process, i.e. before a lot of the other top programs had offered.
vivid_dude

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:11 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
Outlaw_Wales wrote:Why?

I've been trying to get this out of him in a couple different ways now. Hopefully, you have more luck than I do.

I see absolutely no downside to offering top recruits, especially in this case - where it was earlier in the process, i.e. before a lot of the other top programs had offered.

Yeah -- I get that it may not actually pay off in the long run very often (or ever). But it's not like we have a limited number of offers that can be made and it's wasting it. As noted, regardless of the likelihood of success there are very real benefits you can point to just from being mentioned with some of these guys who get written about a lot. And nobody has pointed out a single actual harm yet.

If you're in sales do you have better luck with customers that are leads you have connections to? Sure. Does that mean cold-calling in addition is something you better not do? Not at all.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:24 pm

"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby bluejayfan00 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:38 pm

To Illinois. Would have been nice to have him along with Ayo Dosunmu, who the Illini also have. We went after him pretty hard, having a nice freshmen year.
bluejayfan00

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting