2018 C Brady Heiman (Nebraska Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2018 C Brady Heiman (Nebraska Commit)

Postby Oldfan » Fri May 03, 2019 10:41 am

I’m pretty sure we’ve asked numerous players not to return - Gilmore and Marlon Stewart come to mind immediately.
Oldfan

Postby bluejayfan00 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:06 am

Oldfan wrote:I’m pretty sure we’ve asked numerous players not to return - Gilmore and Marlon Stewart come to mind immediately.

Telling a player you aren't sure how they'll fit on a roster and being honest about their future with the program is different then flat out asking them to leave.
bluejayfan00

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Fri May 03, 2019 11:19 am

I think the biggest problem with this is that a Fusker beat writer announced it before the decision had even been made. Hieman wanted to stay at Nebraska but he was told to leave, so in essence he found out through twitter that he was being cut. Didnt something similar happen with the Jays and Marlon Stewart? I could be wrong
SonofFrankTomera

Postby mightyskid » Fri May 03, 2019 11:20 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:
Oldfan wrote:I’m pretty sure we’ve asked numerous players not to return - Gilmore and Marlon Stewart come to mind immediately.

Telling a player you aren't sure how they'll fit on a roster and being honest about their future with the program is different then flat out asking them to leave.

I'll bet any amount of money they just didn't ask, "Can you please leave?", and I'll also bet any amount of money they discussed how he didn't fit what they were going to try and build in year 1, and that he might want to look at other opportunities. Like it or not, think it's a douche move or not, and yes, Creighton has done it a time or two (if not more) over the years. This sort of thing isn't brand new in college athletics! Come on guys, hate all you want.......but don't be like some Husker fans, and play the 'higher than mighty' card. smh Ugh!
mightyskid

Postby hilltopalum » Fri May 03, 2019 11:22 am

Not a great look for Hoiberg, telling the kid right before his last final. Maybe the Jays have done it like that in the past but it hasn't made the media, not sure, either way not a good look for a coach hoping to make in-roads in the NE marketplace.

As for the Jays, I think that ship has sailed. Jays offered Heiman a gray-shirt option last year. He took Miles up on his offer. Jays have targeted some really promising 2020 Center's, who would be eligible same time as Heiman.
hilltopalum

Postby mightyskid » Fri May 03, 2019 11:26 am

hilltopalum wrote:Not a great look for Hoiberg, telling the kid right before his last final. Maybe the Jays have done it like that in the past but it hasn't made the media, not sure, either way not a good look for a coach hoping to make in-roads in the NE marketplace.

As for the Jays, I think that ship has sailed. Jays offered Heiman a gray-shirt option last year. He took Miles up on his offer. Jays have targeted some really promising 2020 Center's, who would be eligible same time as Heiman.

Basically, what I'm saying.......let's worry about what Creighton's staff is doing with regards to recruiting and roster management. I'd be disappointed if Creighton staff were to have offered Heiman anything more than a greyshirt, or went after him now........the kid is Omaha level.
mightyskid

Postby Trifecta » Fri May 03, 2019 11:31 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:

Semantics. The difference is that ours didn't leak to the media...or our beat writer didn't immediately feel the need to broadcast it prior to the situation being resolved.
Trifecta

Postby Angry Dan » Fri May 03, 2019 11:45 am

When Tim Floyd was at Iowa State he once called a press conference to announce a player was transferring before he told the player.
Angry Dan

Postby bluejayb13 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:48 am

mightyskid wrote:
hilltopalum wrote:Not a great look for Hoiberg, telling the kid right before his last final. Maybe the Jays have done it like that in the past but it hasn't made the media, not sure, either way not a good look for a coach hoping to make in-roads in the NE marketplace.

Basically, what I'm saying.......let's worry about what Creighton's staff is doing with regards to recruiting and roster management. I'd be disappointed if Creighton staff were to have offered Heiman anything more than a greyshirt, or went after him now........the kid is Omaha level.

I do think it is unfair to Heiman that everyone is pretty much is labeling him a bust at major level college basketball after one season in which he wasn't even supposed to play. The guy was a 3 star mid 300 recruit. That would be like Mitchell or Windham being thrust into playing time this year and if they don't play well saying they aren't cut out for this level. Guy needs to bulk up, and it is shitty that the local guy who picked Nebraska because it was a local school gets shoved out pretty publicly.
bluejayb13

Postby ZMagic30 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:55 am

I agree with that. I personally had family members who were mad that he wasn’t offered by CU, but they were pretty close to the situation. Not sure that he should’ve been offered by a B1G school to begin with, at least right out of high school, but it’s been talked about numerous times on this board - scholarships are not for four years. They’re for one year. It’s pretty par for the course for this to happen. It’s a shitty situation, no doubt about it, but Creighton has absolutely done the same thing. They haven’t done it in the context of asking a local kid to transfer after one season, but cmon - Leon Gilmore, Marlon Stewart, Darian Harris. These are all guys from the past 5-6 years who have transferred under similar circumstances.
ZMagic30

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting