2018 C Brady Heiman (Nebraska Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2018 C Brady Heiman

Postby WBR Tom » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:57 pm

Writeup from the OWH has some quotes from Heiman, and notes that beyond the obvious development he'd get in reclassifying to 2019, it'd space out the classes a bit so Epperson and Heiman aren't both freshmen in 2018 (should Epperson redshirt).

He'd be a surefire redshirt if he came here in '18, so if he were to accept the offer it'd be a nice bit of roster maneuvering for Creighton -- have him on the roster in the fall of '19 without having him on scholarship in 2018-19, while presumably getting a lot of the same development benefits.

http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruit ... 726bb.html
WBR Tom

Re: 2018 C Brady Heiman (Offered)

Postby Dough Boy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:09 pm

Commits to Nebraska
Dough Boy

Postby Helmzy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:19 pm

Surprising
Helmzy

Postby Jet915 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:36 pm

Good luck to him
Jet915

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:38 am

That was his best offer, in the sense that it's a Big Ten school. He'll get his release next spring after Miles is fired, maybe he can find something better.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby JayPharmAlum » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:00 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:That was his best offer, in the sense that it's a Big Ten school. He'll get his release next spring after Miles is fired, maybe he can find something better.

On one hand, it's the state school. Pretty hard to fault a kid for choosing that path. However, unless you really want to play for the state school, waiting to see who the coach is next year before committing does make some sense. It's hard for me to imagine it will be Miles.

As far as Creighton goes, he clearly wasn't a priority if we were asking him to reclassify.. Doesn't mean he can't be a very good player, but I don't think Mac lost too much sleep last night.
JayPharmAlum

Postby cu8493 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:31 am

I haven't seen him play on the AAU circuit, but I have seen him play a few times against Class B competition. As of the end of last season, he is no where near Big East (or Big Ten for that matter) caliber. I think Miles offered because he had to, and he has plenty of scholarships lying around. I think GM offered, because Miles did, and possibly to stay in good with Franzese (sp?) at OSA - perhaps as a favor for Tim, so he can point to beating CU for recruit as a reason for UNL to give him yet another year to turn the corner. The longer we keep that guy in Lincoln, the better - but I digress. If Brady is truly 6'11", as claimed, then his height gives him a chance to do something someday in DI basketball. But, I don't see any chance of him blowing up like JP. He just doesn't have near the athleticism of JP. He will never have Gregory E. size and I don't see him becoming an anchor in the middle of a P6 conference. In the games I watched, he wasn't a very good shooter away from the basket - a little under than 50% FT shooter also, I believe. He could not impose his will on GPAC level Class B players who were 5 or more inches shorter than him. And before you say, well opposing coaches would have game-planned to shut him down, he had on his team probably one of the better pure shooters in Nebraska high schools last hear in fellow senior to be Nick Thayer - who shot over 52% from three and averaged like 21 points per game. So, teams couldn't just focus on stopping Brady.

I don' see how he is going to push around Big Ten Bigs or chase around Big Ten stretch fours. I know with hard work all of that can get better and he can probably put on some weight and strength. But, my guess is he ends up at a MVC or Summit League school eventually. Time will tell, but I am not losing sleep over him going to UNL.
cu8493

Re: 2018 C Brady Heiman (Nebraska Commit)

Postby Panhandle Jay » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:54 am

A project probably, but a nice get for Miles and Nebraska. Seems more like a mid-major player right now but he could be something of Big Ten/Big East caliber in a couple of years. UNO was probably the better option for him.
NCAA Tournament appearances
Creighton: 23
UNL: 7
Panhandle Jay

Postby Jaysker12 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Its a solid pickup for them, especially considering their schollie situation.At 6'11, if he can run the floor well enough, add weight, and adjust to the speed of the high major game he'll be a good player for them down the road. Likely not a contributor his first season on the court. Perhaps a redshirt candidate for NU? Miles hasn't really resorted to that strategy for player development.

I'm not bent out of shape on this one... there's no solid indication that the staff was planning on making him a priority. We already have two guys 6'8 or taller committed for the '18 class...there'll be more, albeit less talented, big men to grab this fall.
Jaysker12

Postby LJay » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:08 pm

We are done for bigs this year. That's why CU asked him to prep for a year before coming aboard.

If Marcus Z comes aboard I bet we're done for the fall with the extra held for areas of need that become apparent during the next season.
89 - 60
LJay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting