2017 C Manny Suarez (Grad Transfer Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2017 C Manny Suarez (Grad Transfer Commit)

Postby ZMagic30 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:32 pm

WHY ARE YOU SO INFATUATED WITH A PLAYER WHO TRANSFERRED TO WALK ON AND IS NO LONGER ON THE ROSTER?
User avatar
ZMagic30
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:44 pm

 

Re: 2017 C Manny Suarez (Grad Transfer Commit)

Postby westojay » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:36 pm

drbluejay wrote:I watched Manny play in the summer league last night. He Impressed me with his fluidness and confidence. He isn't a guy who just stands around. He likes the ball and has a good touch with his shot. He is leaner than I thought he would be. You can tell he is an experienced player just the way he plays. I think Manny at this point will back up Hegner at the center spot to begin the season. I saw very little of Epperson as his team was playing on a different court. I watched Ballock and it appeared like his shot was a tad off. Ballock was bigger and stronger than I thought. Ty-shon looked pretty good from what I saw and I believe he was playing pt. guard. I wish Dunkum was playing summer ball and listed on the Creighton Roster.

Martin played very well, was pretty much more impressed with him than anyone else I watched. He was hitting 3's, dunking on people, rebounding. He was basically unstoppable the 2nd Half of his game. I still think Martin starts this year with Toby at the 4.
westojay
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: 2017 C Manny Suarez (Grad Transfer Commit)

Postby drbluejay » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:16 am

ZMagic30 wrote:WHY ARE YOU SO INFATUATED WITH A PLAYER WHO TRANSFERRED TO WALK ON AND IS NO LONGER ON THE ROSTER?

Why are you yelling at me for wanting to see a player I wish was still on the team? I root for all players and I never like to see players quit or transfer. Dunkums name alone makes him interesting to me. His story was interesting, he's at least 6'-10" and he expected to earn a scholarship as he was quoted. 6-'10" walk on transfers don't come along very often, especially if he isn't from this area.
drbluejay
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:19 am

Re: 2017 C Manny Suarez (Grad Transfer Commit)

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:35 pm

westojay wrote:
drbluejay wrote:I watched Manny play in the summer league last night. He Impressed me with his fluidness and confidence. He isn't a guy who just stands around. He likes the ball and has a good touch with his shot. He is leaner than I thought he would be. You can tell he is an experienced player just the way he plays. I think Manny at this point will back up Hegner at the center spot to begin the season. I saw very little of Epperson as his team was playing on a different court. I watched Ballock and it appeared like his shot was a tad off. Ballock was bigger and stronger than I thought. Ty-shon looked pretty good from what I saw and I believe he was playing pt. guard. I wish Dunkum was playing summer ball and listed on the Creighton Roster.

Martin played very well, was pretty much more impressed with him than anyone else I watched. He was hitting 3's, dunking on people, rebounding. He was basically unstoppable the 2nd Half of his game. I still think Martin starts this year with Toby at the 4.


We will have to count a lot on the two of them to produce this year. Martin's issue, IMO, is more defensive than anything else right now. He's probably our best rebounder, but he needs to be more assertive and confident offensively and most of all needs to use good positioning and awareness on D.

However they split up the minutes, I think the two of them likely get the most minutes among the full time 4/5 guys.
Chicagojayfan
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: 2017 C Manny Suarez (Grad Transfer Commit)

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:20 pm

So we accepted Manny to ride the pine, in spite of 4 years playing experience? Granted 2 years at Adelphi, but game experience nonetheless.

Manny starts with Martin coming off the bench - at least early on. If Martin has improved/found his AT, he can compete and win the starting spot.
"@OmahaEliteAAU: I refuse to lower my expectations for those who will not elevate their own." +1

I am an optimist. @gtmoBlue
Omaha Tech - Troy Lives.
User avatar
gtmoBlue
 
Posts: 2258
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:43 am
Location: Canal Zone, Panama

Re: 2017 C Manny Suarez (Grad Transfer Commit)

Postby go_jays » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:52 pm

Saurez may have experience, but not in Mac's system. While I am sure that Suarez will see plenty of time this year, I would be surprised if it were ahead of Martin... who HAS been in Mac's system... even though he doesn't have a lot of PT. But, who knows for sure. I guess I'm hoping that Martin develops more than playing behind a player that has just come into the system.

My guess is that Hegner will not play as much 5 as most people think. He'll be needed at the 4. At the 5 he is a serviceable player. At the 4 he could be an impact player... like he was before he got hurt last year. I, for one, would much rather see him at the 4.... and I think that the staff would too. I think it probably boils down to who can defend the post better... Martin or Hegner.... And I hope, for the team's sake that it will be Martin.

While I'm sure that Suarez has some offensive skills, I'm guessing that his role on this team will be as a post defender/rim defender coming off the bench. At least that is the biggest need this team has right now. But if Martin can't do that... then I suppose Suarez will see LOTS of time. But in either case, I don't see Hegner playing much at the 5... at least I hope not.
go_jays
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: 2017 C Manny Suarez (Grad Transfer Commit)

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:22 pm

go_jays wrote:Saurez may have experience, but not in Mac's system. While I am sure that Suarez will see plenty of time this year, I would be surprised if it were ahead of Martin... who HAS been in Mac's system... even though he doesn't have a lot of PT. But, who knows for sure. I guess I'm hoping that Martin develops more than playing behind a player that has just come into the system.

My guess is that Hegner will not play as much 5 as most people think. He'll be needed at the 4. At the 5 he is a serviceable player. At the 4 he could be an impact player... like he was before he got hurt last year. I, for one, would much rather see him at the 4.... and I think that the staff would too. I think it probably boils down to who can defend the post better... Martin or Hegner.... And I hope, for the team's sake that it will be Martin.

While I'm sure that Suarez has some offensive skills, I'm guessing that his role on this team will be as a post defender/rim defender coming off the bench. At least that is the biggest need this team has right now. But if Martin can't do that... then I suppose Suarez will see LOTS of time. But in either case, I don't see Hegner playing much at the 5... at least I hope not.


I think Saurez will play a consistent role, but I don't think he's starting and I don't think he'll hit 20 minutes a game (often our starting centers don't average much more than that).

Hegner's the best post defender we have, so if he doesn't play the 5 much, it will be because Martin has upped his defense enough to stick there so that Hegner can play the 4.

I think the 2 of them are two big keys to our season. If they step up big, our front court will surprise people
Chicagojayfan
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: 2017 C Manny Suarez (Grad Transfer Commit)

Postby go_jays » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:25 pm

Well, I think Hegner is a very good defender at the 4 but not nearly as good at the 5. Saying he is the best post defender we have doesn't really say much. So, while I can't disagree with you at the moment... I'm really, really, really (fingers legs, arms and toes crossed) hoping that can't be said by the time the season begins.

As a matter fact, I think it makes a huge difference in how successful our season will be as to whether or not Martin can step up his defense and become "the man" there.
go_jays
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: 2017 C Manny Suarez (Grad Transfer Commit)

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:53 pm

go_jays wrote:Well, I think Hegner is a very good defender at the 4 but not nearly as good at the 5. Saying he is the best post defender we have doesn't really say much. So, while I can't disagree with you at the moment... I'm really, really, really (fingers legs, arms and toes crossed) hoping that can't be said by the time the season begins.

As a matter fact, I think it makes a huge difference in how successful our season will be as to whether or not Martin can step up his defense and become "the man" there.


Martin's almost always played the 5, so the best case is if he can turn it up and play big minutes. He's by far our best rebounder and will clean up the boards nicely. It's just the other things he needs to worry about.

Don't underrate Hegner at the 5 on defense. He will be overmatched by some really big guys, but even last year Mac often had him play the D on the opposing 5 and let Patton play the weakside (e.g., as with Delgado)
Chicagojayfan
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: 2017 C Manny Suarez (Grad Transfer Commit)

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:17 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
go_jays wrote:Well, I think Hegner is a very good defender at the 4 but not nearly as good at the 5. Saying he is the best post defender we have doesn't really say much. So, while I can't disagree with you at the moment... I'm really, really, really (fingers legs, arms and toes crossed) hoping that can't be said by the time the season begins.

As a matter fact, I think it makes a huge difference in how successful our season will be as to whether or not Martin can step up his defense and become "the man" there.


Martin's almost always played the 5, so the best case is if he can turn it up and play big minutes. He's by far our best rebounder and will clean up the boards nicely. It's just the other things he needs to worry about.

Don't underrate Hegner at the 5 on defense. He will be overmatched by some really big guys, but even last year Mac often had him play the D on the opposing 5 and let Patton play the weakside (e.g., as with Delgado)


That was WAY more a result of Patton's defensive problems than Hegner's defensive abilities. Toby is a stretch 4 kind of player. He's not really a post player on either side of the ball -- and if we are seeing him play a lot of 5 next year, it's a bad sign. That's not a knock at all on Toby, but a reality that if we're relying on a guy who is not a post player as our best post defender then we've got problems.
User avatar
Outlaw_Wales
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests