Switch to full style
Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.
Post a reply

Re: 2016 SF Damien Jefferson (Transfer Commit)

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:09 am

chicago guard Rennard Edwards mid 1980's and yes I feel old too...

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:23 am

This kid is loaded with talent/athleticism. Needs this year to hone those skills. Great get. With the # of schollies we have, hell yes cuz he has huge upside.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:30 am

We'll have guys like Alexander, Mintz, Ballock and Bishop for shooting. We need another big guard who can replace Khyri's defensive abilities, rebounding and all around junkyard dog attitude. Jefferson could be that.

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:26 pm

cu8493 wrote:perhaps coaches now know the UMass duo are going elsewhere so they accepted his commitment.

Not sure why this wouldn't occur to people.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:33 am

At first blush, from a production standpoint, this one is a bit of a scratcher to me. Yes, we need tough nosed defenders. However, IMO our offense requires every player on the floor to be able to knock down shots. If any one opposing defender can sag off his man to help on clogging passing and driving lanes, we run into problems. But, I recognize he was just a freshman. Biggest thing to me is that Al Huss has seen him work for a year. Giving Al the benefit of the doubt on his evaluation of the kid in terms of potential to become at least a competitive Big East basketball player and I assume having seen his character over the past year - particularly where he may not have been playing as much or as well as he would have liked, I am optimistic.

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:29 am

cu8493 wrote:At first blush, from a production standpoint, this one is a bit of a scratcher to me. Yes, we need tough nosed defenders. However, IMO our offense requires every player on the floor to be able to knock down shots. If any one opposing defender can sag off his man to help on clogging passing and driving lanes, we run into problems. But, I recognize he was just a freshman. Biggest thing to me is that Al Huss has seen him work for a year. Giving Al the benefit of the doubt on his evaluation of the kid in terms of potential to become at least a competitive Big East basketball player and I assume having seen his character over the past year - particularly where he may not have been playing as much or as well as he would have liked, I am optimistic.

Some recent Bluejays' freshman numbers: Mintz 3.3, Harrell 3.2, Thomas 6.2, Hanson 2.8, Hegner 6.7, Doug 14.9, Antoine 4.9.
Damien's freshman year:
PPG RPG APG
5.3 2.3 1.0
That's pretty productive. He might not be a long-range bomber, but he seems to be able to score effectively.
Damien Jefferson can shoot. The 6-foot-6 wing can also pass. Mr. Jefferson can rebound really well, too. Block shots? Yes. And he can dunk. Really, really, really, really good. Really.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/east-chicago-s-damien-jefferson-striving-to-be-indiana-s/article_d9f1e6e0-b9d9-5eb3-9ea2-7e91a4cc5445.html

Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:46 am

James Farr (Chicago - Mt. Carmel H.S.)

There was also a kid from Brother Rice H.S. in Chicago that played for a year (didn't play much) and then transferred, but his name escapes me...

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:16 am

I think the kid from Brother Rice was Jimmy Sexton

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:48 pm

Lamont Scott

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:08 pm

Gmorrowfan wrote:I think the kid from Brother Rice was Jimmy Sexton

that's the guy - i think i said jimmy chamberlin - but that was the dude from Smashing Pumpkins

in my defense - he's also from Chicago
Post a reply