2019 Guard Shereef Mitchell (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2019 Guard Shereef Mitchell (Commit)

Postby LynchMob » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:32 pm

This should work itself out in time, but if Creighton puts Shereef in the Association - that would be 3/3 in recent Omaha kids. Building a real pipeline and dispelling the myth that local kids aren't talented.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!
LynchMob

Postby drbluejay » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:14 pm

LynchMob wrote:This should work itself out in time, but if Creighton puts Shereef in the Association - that would be 3/3 in recent Omaha kids. Building a real pipeline and dispelling the myth that local kids aren't talented.

Tony Barone once said you can't recruit guards out of Omaha because of lack of talent which was a ridiculous statement to make as many D-1 guards have come out of Omaha. Woolridge and Stricklin were playing high school at the time. This was one of 2 reasons I couldn't stand Barone.
drbluejay

Postby PhoenixBluejay » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:42 pm

Lots of good reasons not to like Barone. Ask his first class of players....most who left. Dana Altman was the right kind of coach, players were treated with respect. He made the players better and People from Omaha wanted to play for him.
PhoenixBluejay

Postby Jet915 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:03 pm

OmahaHSHoops
OmahaHSHoops
@OmahaHSHoops
·
Jul 22
FINAL FROM ADIDAS #GauntletSeries BOYS SUMMER CHAMPIONSHIPS: Compton Magic 73 OSA 17U Adidas 69. @OSACrusaders were neck-and-neck with the 2nd-best 17U team in the USA the whole entire game. Creighton-commit Shereef Mitchell carried OSA on his shoulders with 21 pts and 4 reb

Shereef earned an invite to the Adidas All American Camp for the top 50 players of the Adidas Circuit.
Jet915

Postby BoarCommaThe » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:10 am

Jet915 wrote:OmahaHSHoops
OmahaHSHoops
@OmahaHSHoops
·
Jul 22
FINAL FROM ADIDAS #GauntletSeries BOYS SUMMER CHAMPIONSHIPS: Compton Magic 73 OSA 17U Adidas 69. @OSACrusaders were neck-and-neck with the 2nd-best 17U team in the USA the whole entire game. Creighton-commit Shereef Mitchell carried OSA on his shoulders with 21 pts and 4 reb

Shereef earned an invite to the Adidas All American Camp for the top 50 players of the Adidas Circuit.

Loving this signing more and more each and every day!
You can't chase the night - World Wide Wes

Picture me Rollin - Tupac Shakur
BoarCommaThe

Postby ictjay » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:14 am

JacobPadilla wrote:Creighton has been tracking local guard Shereef Mitchell, who played with Brady Heiman for OSA this summer. He goes to Omaha Burke. Creighton doesn't have an offer for him in the 2018 class as they have their sights set on the likes of Marcus Zegarowski and Ayo Dosunmu, but if Shereef reclassifies to 2019 that might change.

http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruit ... 4dc5f.html

I know Creighton's coaches like Shereef a lot. He is a pure bucket-getter who is also an incredible on-ball defender. The problem is he's 6' and 158 pounds. Considering he's young for his class and he only has mid-major offers at this point, the prep school route is much more likely than it was with Heiman. He's much more of a scorer than a pure point, but he's shown the ability to run a team as well. Offensively, he's tough to keep out of the paint and has improved his mid-range pull-up tremendously, but his perimeter shot still isn't there consistently. Shereef's dad, Alvin, played for Nebraska and UNO back in the day.

Not always on your side 100% Jacob, but you were spot on with Shereef. Thanks for the coverage.
ictjay

Postby JayPak » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:51 pm

PhoenixBluejay wrote:Lots of good reasons not to like Barone. Ask his first class of players....most who left. Dana Altman was the right kind of coach, players were treated with respect. He made the players better and People from Omaha wanted to play for him.

Moser/Eisner/Petty/Roggenburk et al. would beg to differ.
Very loyal to Barone.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... story.html
Last edited by JayPak on Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I want to beat (NU) so bad. This is a blue state...I’m a Creighton Bluejay. I’ve always wanted to go to Creighton...never really liked Nebraska...Creighton trusted me and Nebraska was just…out there...Can’t wait to play ’em..." ~Justin Patton
JayPak

Postby cujaysfan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:54 pm

Barone's comment was pretty ill-timed IIRC.

around that time there were some pretty good players coming out of Iowa and surrounding. Acie Earl was one that I remember (only because in 8th grade I scored 10 points on him at a basketball camp (sucker for headfake back then)).
cujaysfan

Postby PhoenixBluejay » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:38 am

[quote][Moser/Eisner/Petty/Roggenburk et al. would beg to differ.
Very loyal to Barone.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... story.html/quote]

Ed Johansen would beg to differ with you, he was from Omaha, the starting center, who left after his freshman year with barone to UC Irvine. Jamie Whetstone a phenom from Indiana averaging over 20 points a game in high school left after his freshman year. Rich Goldberg left. Bill Wirske left etc. Not saying some players on other barone teams did not like barone, they did. Just my opinion and you can have yours.
PhoenixBluejay

Postby cu8493 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:55 am

Not all the players liked Altman, either. Just ask Cavel or any number of players who left while he was coach.

Lots of guys leave when there are coaching changes - especially one that results in a serious upgrade in talent on the team. Most or all of the guys you mention were Willis Reed recruits. Ed Johansen actually played two years at CU and frankly wasn't all that good at CU. I think he played maybe 10 a game in one season at UC Irvine. He was also about to be replaced by Chad Gallagher when he left. Whetstone might have averaged 20 in HS, but he average about 2 his year at CU. Lots of guys who go for 20 plus in HS don't do much in college. Did he even play after that? Wirske and Goldberg never played under Barone. They left at the end of the year after Reed resigned. Can't really say they were his first class of players. Lots of guys aren't happy with a new coach. I was there during the Reed era and knew some of the players. Reed demanded nothing out of his players. Barone changed that culture, and demanded hard work and tough, hard-nosed play. Not everyone likes that when they were used to skating by. And when a new coach has to put together a quick class of recruits for the first season, it isn't unusual for those guys to get replaced by better players in the next few years as he has a chance to get better recruits. Happened when Altman took over, and happened when McDermott came in. And many who get replaced by better players recruiting by the new coach aren't happy. So of course guys didn't like him. You may not like Barone, that's fine. But, you can't argue with his success, and to imply he didn't make his players better or that his players didn't like playing for him is just not true for the most part. He could be an abrasive SOB however, I will give you that.
cu8493

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting