2021 PG Chucky Hepburn (Bellevue West, Wisconsin Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2021 PG Chucky Hepburn (Bellevue West)

Postby yankeejay » Tue May 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Chucky tore it up at a recent tournament averaging 25 against much more mature and older competition. Word out is that he will soon receive a Husker offer. I'm afraid our staff is sitting on their hands with this one. There is NO local player as good and personal bias may be obscuring objectivity.
yankeejay

Postby JacobPadilla » Tue May 22, 2018 3:24 pm

yankeejay wrote:Chucky tore it up at a recent tournament averaging 25 against much more mature and older competition. Word out is that he will soon receive a Husker offer. I'm afraid our staff is sitting on their hands with this one. There is NO local player as good and personal bias may be obscuring objectivity.

Where are you getting this information? He didn't average 25 and he wasn't playing against older competition. He played very well, but there's no need for hyperbole.
JacobPadilla

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Tue May 22, 2018 3:30 pm

yankeejay wrote:Chucky tore it up at a recent tournament averaging 25 against much more mature and older competition. Word out is that he will soon receive a Husker offer. I'm afraid our staff is sitting on their hands with this one. There is NO local player as good and personal bias may be obscuring objectivity.

"Personal bias may be obscuring objectivity"?

What does that even mean? Why would you suggest somebody on our staff would have a personal bias against Chucky Hepburn?

I hope he gets a Creighton offer soon simply because I believe he's going to be the best Nebraska player in that class, is going to be capable of competing at a major conference level, etc. And I absolutely don't want to see him go to Nebraska. He's been quoted in the paper as saying that Creighton and Oregon are the schools he has dreamed of suiting up for, so I think Creighton has an in if they want it.

Think he averaged about 20 at that recent tournament -- Battle of the Lakes or something like that, but thought it was in the U15 division, so comparable age and maturity competition.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby cujaysfan » Tue May 22, 2018 3:40 pm

isn't he rated about the same as Newmann the PG out of Valpo?

I don't think their games are quite the same (i'm sure someone who follow recruiting a lot closer than i do can comment on that)

but - Newmann is supposed to be a superior shooter with good size at the position (6'4 IIRC) and Hepburn is pretty small although lightning quick

other than Mo - Mac has shown a preference for guards with size when he can get em...
cujaysfan

Postby westojay » Tue May 22, 2018 3:44 pm

Hepburn and Murphy Jr are in same class correct? I hope we get both.
westojay

Postby cu8493 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:23 pm

"Personal bias may be obscuring objectivity"?

What does that even mean? Why would you suggest somebody on our staff would have a personal bias against Chucky Hepburn?

Not sure if he meant coach's personal negative bias or his own personal positive bias being someone close to Chucky in asserting that Chucky is the best player in the state. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he meant the later.
cu8493

Postby yankeejay » Tue May 22, 2018 4:55 pm

If you want hyperbole, talk to anyone who has coached him or played against him. As for subjective bias, its trying to fairly evaluate someone when your own kid is in the mix. I would hate to lose out on this kind of local talent.
yankeejay

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Tue May 22, 2018 8:14 pm

yankeejay wrote:If you want hyperbole, talk to anyone who has coached him or played against him. As for subjective bias, its trying to fairly evaluate someone when your own kid is in the mix. I would hate to lose out on this kind of local talent.

Didn’t know Mac had another kid in the mix ...

I agree that he needs to be in blue - but I haven’t heard anything to suggest the staff is turning a blind eye because of some bias.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby Jaysker12 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:21 pm

I wish yankeejay would come out and be explicit. who are the coaches looking at that might cloud their judgment in recruiting chucky?
Jaysker12

Postby cu8493 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:26 pm

yankeejay wrote:If you want hyperbole, talk to anyone who has coached him or played against him. As for subjective bias, its trying to fairly evaluate someone when your own kid is in the mix. I would hate to lose out on this kind of local talent.

Ok, appreciate the enthusiasm for your brother/nephew/cousin/buddy, but that's just silly. Whoever "your own kid" is, Mac himself didn't sign his own son at Iowa State, the son who turned out to be one of the all time greatest college players because he wasn't sure if he was good enough to play in the Big12. He sure as hell isnt passing on a kid he thinks can produce in the BEast out of some personal bias toward a kid of someone he knows. If he doesn't offer Chucky, it will have zero to do with anyone else.
cu8493

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting