2021 PG Chucky Hepburn (Bellevue West, Wisconsin Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2021 PG Chucky Hepburn (Bellevue West)

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:29 pm

Jayfan3535 wrote:Good enough to get an offer from Wisconsin but still hasn’t shown enough to the jays staff 10 miles up the road...even if the jays offer soon they are now trailing multiple programs

We've done a better job of scouting Omaha kids than any other team so far. Coaches deserve the benefit of the doubt here, and it's certainly worth debate over whether or not we want another kid of the same type as Mitchell in the next class

I'm sure he's aware of what the coaches are thinking in terms of an offer and what they are looking for prior to pulling the trigger.
Chicagojayfan

Postby ZMagic30 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:54 pm

Jayfan3535 wrote:Good enough to get an offer from Wisconsin but still hasn’t shown enough to the jays staff 10 miles up the road...even if the jays offer soon they are now trailing multiple programs

so are you his dad or his coach?
ZMagic30

Postby Jayfan3535 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:40 pm

Neither. Just someone quite familiar with the Tbird and creighton programs. No relation and not a coach. Big time fan of Chucky and big time fan of the jays.
Jayfan3535

Postby LJay » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:28 pm

What does “trailing multiple programs” mean? Trailing in making an offer? If that was critical CU would have 25 guys on scholarship.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Jays26 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:34 pm

Makes very little difference when you offer. (See Tristan) Kid either wants to be here or he doesn't.
Jays26

Postby omajay » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:

We've done a better job of scouting Omaha kids than any other team so far. Coaches deserve the benefit of the doubt here, and it's certainly worth debate over whether or not we want another kid of the same type as Mitchell in the next class

I'm sure he's aware of what the coaches are thinking in terms of an offer and what they are looking for prior to pulling the trigger.

I believe D’Rock was in charge of recruiting in Omaha during his years at CU. Obviously, Mac and Dana were involved as well. But, I don’t think you can underestimate D’Rock’s contributions to our past success with Omaha kids. I also don’t think you pass on a quality, local kid regardless of who is on our roster. Kids get hurt, transfer, and don’t live up to their hype for various reasons. I also don’t think you pass on a kid like Hepburn when we have left scholarships unused for the last couple of years. Holding scholarships for players like Tugs and Tristin hasn’t exactly worked out.
omajay

Postby go_jays » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:25 pm

omajay wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:

I believe D’Rock was in charge of recruiting in Omaha during his years at CU. Obviously, Mac and Dana were involved as well. But, I don’t think you can underestimate D’Rock’s contributions to our past success with Omaha kids. I also don’t think you pass on a quality, local kid regardless of who is on our roster. Kids get hurt, transfer, and don’t live up to their hype for various reasons. I also don’t think you pass on a kid like Hepburn when we have left scholarships unused for the last couple of years. Holding scholarships for players like Tugs and Tristin hasn’t exactly worked out.

Ok, let's do the math...

We have a total of 13 ships to give. So you average that out over 4 years... we have 3.25 ships to give per year. Right now, our situation is that we have 3 SHIPS, TOTAL, to give out over 2 YEARS. That's 1.5 per year (not factoring in grad transfers to keep it simple). So you have 1.5 ships per year... you already have 2 PGs, plus a combo guard (1 already in the '19 Class)... and you want to give one to a player because he's "local". Looks to me like it's time to be pretty selective on who you're giving ships to... even if he is in the '21 Class. A lot can happen between now and then.

No thanks... unless he's the second coming of Steph Curry, Kyrie Irving or Russell Westbrook.
go_jays

Postby bluejayb13 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:31 pm

go_jays wrote:
Ok, let's do the math...

We have a total of 13 ships to give. So you average that out over 4 years... we have 3.25 ships to give per year. Right now, our situation is that we have 3 SHIPS, TOTAL, to give out over 2 YEARS. That's 1.5 per year (not factoring in grad transfers to keep it simple). So you have 1.5 ships per year... you already have 2 PGs, plus a combo guard (1 already in the '19 Class)... and you want to give one to a player because he's "local". Looks to me like it's time to be pretty selective on who you're giving ships to... even if he is in the '21 Class.

No thanks... unless he's the second coming of Steph Curry, Kyrie Irving or Russell Westbrook.

Not taking a side here but Hepburn is 2021 dude. Mitch, Tyshon, DJ, and Mahoney will all graduate that spring.
bluejayb13

Postby go_jays » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:41 pm

Yes, I get that and mentioned it in my post. A lot can happen between now and the '21 Class... both ways. Do we really need to offer NOW?
go_jays

Postby bluejayb13 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:50 pm

go_jays wrote:Yes, I get that and mentioned it in my post. A lot can happen between now and the '21 Class... both ways. Do we really need to offer NOW?

I personally am not worried about us not having offered him. I skimmed over that mention because that scholarship math is kinda useless in his case. I'm not gonna really get worked up about many guys not having offers before their first day of junior year though unless they are a rare breed local talent. First offers can matter occasionally to a kid but we haven't been snubbing him, they've been in constant contact so I'm not too worried about it.
bluejayb13

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting