2021 PG Chucky Hepburn (Bellevue West, Wisconsin Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2021 PG Chucky Hepburn (Bellevue West)

Postby Alphawalt » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:05 am

cu8493 wrote:I don't think Ryan Sears ever shot over 40% from the field (or right at about 40%), certainly not from 3, where I think he was a lot closer to 34-5%. In fact, I can remember some games where teams backed way off of him, and he had a number of 3-13 type games. Those could be frustrating games. But, he also averaged almost 3 steals per game and was very effective at pushing the ball, particularly in transition. He averaged 4-5 assists per game and about that many rebounds, I believe. A PG can be effective even if not a threat to bomb a bunch of threes if he can move the ball and has the vision to find guys in the right spots. I like what I read about Chucky (though it sounds like he has to improve shoot some even to get to where Sears was - but I assume that will come with some hard work and maturation). The timing would be good, as Z would be a senior his freshman year, I think, and Alvin would be a junior (assuming no redshirt), so a good time to bring in the next PG. I certainly like teaching a really good play-making PG to shoot better than spending 2 1/2 seasons trying to shoehorn a shooting guard into the PG spot.

Ryan Sears, with all due respect, was a MVC player. He would never have a chance at starting for a Jays BE team, simple fact. If you compare film of Zegarowski’s last two years of high school with Hepburn, you will clearly see why we should let the Huskers have Hepburn. We need to aim higher.
Alphawalt

Postby Jayfan3535 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:45 am

Alphawalt wrote:
cu8493 wrote:I don't think Ryan Sears ever shot over 40% from the field (or right at about 40%), certainly not from 3, where I think he was a lot closer to 34-5%. In fact, I can remember some games where teams backed way off of him, and he had a number of 3-13 type games. Those could be frustrating games. But, he also averaged almost 3 steals per game and was very effective at pushing the ball, particularly in transition. He averaged 4-5 assists per game and about that many rebounds, I believe. A PG can be effective even if not a threat to bomb a bunch of threes if he can move the ball and has the vision to find guys in the right spots. I like what I read about Chucky (though it sounds like he has to improve shoot some even to get to where Sears was - but I assume that will come with some hard work and maturation). The timing would be good, as Z would be a senior his freshman year, I think, and Alvin would be a junior (assuming no redshirt), so a good time to bring in the next PG. I certainly like teaching a really good play-making PG to shoot better than spending 2 1/2 seasons trying to shoehorn a shooting guard into the PG spot.

Ryan Sears, with all due respect, was a MVC player. He would never have a chance at starting for a Jays BE team, simple fact. If you compare film of Zegarowski’s last two years of high school with Hepburn, you will clearly see why we should let the Huskers have Hepburn. We need to aim higher.

That is part of what “projecting” a player to be is. You want to compare someone’s jr/sr film against fr/so film. Not an apples to apples comparison. Comparing most 14/15 yr olds to 17/18 yr olds is going to give the advantage to the older more mature kid in most cases.
Jayfan3535

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:16 am

Excellent points 3535. Chucky has 2 years of growth and development to do. and...you can never have too many PGs. ;)
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby cu8493 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:41 pm

My post had absolutely nothing to do with whether Ryan could have started for Jays in the Big East, so don't know why that is your response. However with all due respect I disagree. Ryan was solid, quick, an exceptional passer with great court vision and quick hands. In 16 games against major conference teams, including 4 ranked at the time we played them, he averaged almost 6 assists, 11 points, 3-4 rbs and almost 3 steals per game, including 7 assists and 5 steals against #5 Maryland, 19 points 9 assists against #23 Iowa, and 18 points 8 assists against #24 Auburn. As a freshman, he had 6 points 7 assists and 3 steals going against Tyrone Lue at UNL, who was a first round draft pick at the end of that year. I think he could have started on most Jays Big East teams.
cu8493

Postby hilltopalum » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:30 pm

Only a matter of time before an offer at this point. Chucky has been balling out in the early AAU season
hilltopalum

Postby Jayfan3535 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:20 pm

hilltopalum wrote:Only a matter of time before an offer at this point. Chucky has been balling out in the early AAU season

Like a matter of time as in Preston will be officially gone soon and the blinders will be removed to the fact that Chucky is on so many levels a better player than Preston Jr?
Jayfan3535

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:34 pm

hilltopalum wrote:Only a matter of time before an offer at this point. Chucky has been balling out in the early AAU season

Hard to understand how there hadn’t been an offer yet. Letting Nebraska get the upper hand on the top prospects in state isn’t good.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby bluejayfan00 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:21 pm

I think we should prepare ourselves for Nebraska having the upper hand over us in recruiting period.
bluejayfan00

Postby Realhoops » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:11 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:I think we should prepare ourselves for Nebraska having the upper hand over us in recruiting period.

Definitely not the attitude I’m taking. Hopefully not the attitude most fans, the staff, etc. are adopting. Especially before Hoiberg has signed a single recruit ...
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting