2021 PG Chucky Hepburn (Bellevue West, Wisconsin Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2021 PG Chucky Hepburn (Bellevue West)

Postby go_jays » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:21 am

You may think it's useless... cause that's your choice. But I don't. Every move you make either opens or closes doors/options in the future. Bottom line is... with the limited amount of ships over the next 2 years, they need to get it right and get it right now, or they could really be in a hole in 2021.
go_jays

Postby bluejayb13 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:00 am

go_jays wrote:You may think it's useless... cause that's your choice. But I don't. Every move you make either opens or closes doors/options in the future. Bottom line is... with the limited amount of ships over the next 2 years, they need to get it right and get it right now, or they could really be in a hole in 2021.

I'm confused on what you are getting at I guess. We have 3 scholarships for 2019 and 2020 combined. Are you saying if we offer Hepburn now that it will prevent us from getting a potential top 100 or top 50 player in the next two cycles? I don't think who they have offered is going to effect who we get, the staff just needs to do a better job of sealing the deal with top tier talent. Not like Hepburn is really a slouch, current 113 in 247, but I'm not concerned over having not offered a kid who just got his drivers license. I don't agree that a Hepburn offer is going to be the reason we miss out on any top flight talent, though.
bluejayb13

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:24 pm

go_jays wrote:
Ok, let's do the math...

We have a total of 13 ships to give. So you average that out over 4 years... we have 3.25 ships to give per year. Right now, our situation is that we have 3 SHIPS, TOTAL, to give out over 2 YEARS. That's 1.5 per year (not factoring in grad transfers to keep it simple). So you have 1.5 ships per year... you already have 2 PGs, plus a combo guard (1 already in the '19 Class)... and you want to give one to a player because he's "local". Looks to me like it's time to be pretty selective on who you're giving ships to... even if he is in the '21 Class. A lot can happen between now and then.

No thanks... unless he's the second coming of Steph Curry, Kyrie Irving or Russell Westbrook.

Our having three scholarships for the next two years and our need for a big next year does not have any impact on whether we should offer a kid in the 2021 class. If this was a case of him coming this fall, yeah, the fact that we have one open right now would suggest you don't give it to a point guard. But that's not the case at all. By 2021 we will have additional open spots from players who will graduate or leave by then. Why are you averaging out the open numbers for the next two years and acting like that means you don't offer the best available kids for three years down the road?

The last 2 years we have "saved" scholarship spots -- maybe because of this "math" thing you are talking about. And the result is that we've used an available scholarship that could have gone to a player who might have been available to contribute meaningful minutes when we've suffered injuries -- which have happened every single year -- that leave us shorthanded, instead on a walkon for 1/2 of the year. I like Scurry a ton. But we shouldn't continually be in position to give him a ride for half a year just because we didn't use up available scholarship spots for players who could contribute.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby yankeejay » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:48 pm

Wisconsin offered after watching him play once, Minnesota offered based on film. Our people may finally plan to look at him at a a tournament out of town when he's been down the street for 2 years. His coach has said he's the best he's coached.
yankeejay

Postby Jays26 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:03 pm

yankeejay wrote:Wisconsin offered after watching him play once, Minnesota offered based on film. Our people may finally plan to look at him at a a tournament out of town when he's been down the street for 2 years. His coach has said he's the best he's coached.

"Our people" I assume you mean Creighton? Where do you get your info?

The Jays know all about Chucky. And he knows all about the Jays.
Jays26

Postby JacobPadilla » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:12 am

yankeejay wrote:Wisconsin offered after watching him play once, Minnesota offered based on film. Our people may finally plan to look at him at a a tournament out of town when he's been down the street for 2 years. His coach has said he's the best he's coached.

Chucky has played pick-up with the team. Also, Minnesota hasn't offered him.
JacobPadilla

Postby hilltopalum » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:28 am

It is cool to think the Jays could trot out Mitchell, Hepburn, Sallis maybe Wur, sometime in the near future.
hilltopalum

Postby bluejayfan00 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:42 am

hilltopalum wrote:It is cool to think the Jays could trot out Mitchell, Hepburn, Sallis maybe Wur, sometime in the near future.

Would be cool. As long as Nebraska doesn't get any. I feel like Sallis' interest in Nebraska has risen big time since the hiring of Hoiberg. From his Twitter, at least
bluejayfan00

Postby Helmzy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:23 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:
hilltopalum wrote:It is cool to think the Jays could trot out Mitchell, Hepburn, Sallis maybe Wur, sometime in the near future.

Would be cool. As long as Nebraska doesn't get any. I feel like Sallis' interest in Nebraska has risen big time since the hiring of Hoiberg. From his Twitter, at least

What from his Twitter makes you think his interest has risen for Nebraska?
Helmzy

Postby bluejayb13 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:32 am

Helmzy wrote:
bluejayfan00 wrote:

What from his Twitter makes you think his interest has risen for Nebraska?

https://twitter.com/HunterSallis_/statu ... 1793594369

Is the choice of hat color just a coincidence or is he straight up saying no Creighton here
bluejayb13

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting