Transfer Targets :: 2018

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Transfer Targets :: 2018

Postby Savannah Jay » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:35 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:
drbluejay wrote:
bluejayfan00 wrote:And on the court, which is sad considering he’s an average coach at best.

Creighton finished in 3rd place while Marquette finished in 6th place in the standings last year.
I'll take 3rd over 6th any day.

Comprehension is hard for you, huh Dr.? The original poster said "head to head" Wojo has dominated Mac on recruiting trail. I stated it's been much of the same on the court, HEAD TO HEAD, where Mac is 2-6 against Wojo. Thanks!

This is true, although no opponent has benefitted more from CU's mid-season injuries than MU. Both last year and this, we played Marquette twice after the season ending injuries to Mo and Martin. No guarantee we would have beaten them once if fully healthy but one could make the argument that we could have won all 4 if healthy (all 4 were single digit games).
Savannah Jay

Postby drbluejay » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:12 am

Only 23 days left for recruits to sign. I'm hoping we sign a couple of quality players by the deadline, May 16th.
drbluejay

Postby mannygakou » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:44 am

Savannah Jay wrote:This is true, although no opponent has benefitted more from CU's mid-season injuries than MU. Both last year and this, we played Marquette twice after the season ending injuries to Mo and Martin. No guarantee we would have beaten them once if fully healthy but one could make the argument that we could have won all 4 if healthy (all 4 were single digit games).

I'd argue that maybe Providence was the biggest benefactor of our mid-season injuries, as they likely aided in both of their tourney bids the last two years. Pre-injuries, the Jays went 2-0 against Friars and 1-3 post-injuries. Friars needed each of those 3 wins to get into the each of the last 2 tournaments.
mannygakou

Postby jaybacker11 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:18 pm

3 transfers leaving University of Milwaukee Wisconsin: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ve-program

Milwaukee's top three scorers from the 2017-18 season were granted their releases from the men's basketball program, the school announced Monday.

Junior guards Jeremiah Bell (14.1 points per game) and Brock Stull (13.4 ppg) and sophomore forward Bryce Nze (10.3 ppg) will be allowed to "pursue and explore other basketball and academic opportunities," the school said in a statement.

Additional article on Brock Stull - my favorite of the bunch (Junior) - 13.4 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 3.1 APG - specifically mentions Creighton in Top 5

https://minnesota.rivals.com/news/looki ... rock-stull

Brock Stull is a name that is frequently coming out of the mouths of Minnesota basketball fans.

The 6-foot-4 guard officially received his release from UW-Milwaukee Monday, and Gopher followers were immediately mentioning the belief that he could be the missing piece next season, as Richard Pitino looks to add another ball handler.

Stull just completed his third season of play with the Panthers, after redshirting his first year. The native of Rockford, Illinois will receive his degree in Criminal Justice.

There are several reasons one could visualize a mutual attraction between Stull and Minnesota.

For starters, he is looking at playing his final season at a higher level than the Horizon League. The Big Ten certainly fits that bill.

"You work to get this hard to get where you want to be," Stull told Todd Rosiak of The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Tuesday. "I was hesitating on what I wanted to do. But the opportunity is there to move up a level. I think that is the final goal."

"I'm looking for whatever fits best," Stull told The Gopher Report Tuesday afternoon. "The name of the league doesn't matter, I mean whether its the Big Ten or the Big East, or the SEC, but going up to a higher level has been a goal since high school. The opportunity is there right now, so why not take it."

Stull graduated from Boyland Catholic High School in 2014, besides Milwaukee, his offers were scarce. Others came from Albany, South Dakota State, and SIU-Edwardsville.

His first two seasons with the Panthers were certainly indicative as why there was not a lot of buzz around him. After sitting out a season, he averaged only 2.6 points per game in 9.2 minutes of play in 2015-16.

But from there, everyone saw the transformation of Brock Stull.

In his sophomore season, he averaged 13.6 points per game. He shot 43.9 percent overall, and 39.9 percent from deep. He also went for 6.5 rebounds and 2.9 assists in each contest.

Last season, he averaged 13.4 points, and shot 37.9 percent from both inside and outside the arc. He also had 4.8 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game.

He went for twenty points or better five different times in 2017-18. He top scoring outing was in the Horizon League Tournament against UIC, when he poured in 25 points. But probably his most well known game was against Final Four participant and national darling Loyola-Chicago. Stull had 23 points on four 3-pointers, as the Panthers upset the Rambers 73-56.

Overall, Stull scored 952 points in his three seasons in Milwaukee. He went 333-806 from the field, for a 41.3 percent clip. He converted 136 of 358 trifectas for a 38 percent rate. He also was 150 of 195 from the line, which was good for 77 percent. He grabbed 423 points, and handed out 216 assists against 155 turnovers.

That type of play has led to him being a hot commodity in less that 24 hours after his official release was announced. Stull says the five schools he is really looking at are Minnesota, Xavier, Creighton, LSU, and North Carolina State.

The other link besides being a Midwestern kid who would like to play in the Big Ten, is his previous relationship with Gophers' assistant coach, Rob Jeter.

When Stull came out of high school, Jeter was the Head Coach at Milwaukee. He recruited and signed the Illinois native, and directed the program during Stull's redshirt and first season on the floor.

"I think so," Stull replied when asked if Jeter's presence would help Minnesota in his recruitment. "It's comforting to know someone at a new program. Akeem Springs was also at Milwaukee before he transferred to Minnesota. So it's important to know what you're looking for."

Stull said that he has spoken with both Pitino and Jeter in the past two days, and he has already learned a lot in that small amount of time.

"At Milwaukee, the facilities were really sub-par," he explained. "You can't get into the gym after a certain time, and you can't go in early because they use it for rec leagues. At Minnesota, they have a new facility, and it looks incredible. I also know Coach Jeter and Coach (Ed) Conroy. Coach Pitino has told me how he lets players play. I've been talking to Akeem about it, and the coaches aren't telling me any lies."

Stull then went onto explain what he is looking for in a program.

"I don't want to go to a school just to be a shooter. I had over 100 assists two seasons ago, and I had over 90 last year, and I missed some games. I've had to play in a different system in each of my three years at Milwaukee. I want to go somewhere where they will utilize me off of a ball screen, and put the ball in my hands."

Stull said that type of play matches his strengths on the floor.

"I have a high basketball IQ. I am a good passer and a good shooter. When I come off of the ball screen I tend to make the right decision more times than not. I have a really high IQ, and I am a competitor."

Even though, Stull has a great idea of who the five schools he is talking to are at this point, he is in no hurry to get the process done quickly.

"I have a wedding to attend this weekend, so I won't be taking any visits the next few days. I'm not going to move super fast yet. I want to find the right fit. I'm going to spend my time doing my research on each school."
jaybacker11

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:17 pm

Give the young man a thread.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby vivid_dude » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:18 pm

Big East dominating transfer market in 2018. https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/04/24/big-east-basketball-league-dominating-2018-transfer-market/

This same site did an assessment of recruiting classes for each Big East team. Creighton's is pasted below. I would not have guessed the Jays would have been ranked 31st nationally. I like our three guys, but that struck me as high (in a good way).

(In case you were wondering, this site ranked Nebraska as last in the Big 10, and 98th nationally.)

CREIGHTON
Class rankings: 4th in Big East, 31st nationally
Commitments: Marcus Zegarowski (102), Christian Bishop (127), Sam Froling (130)

The Bluejays may not have landed any recruits ranked in the top-100 but all three of their players are highly-touted across recruiting services. Considering the departures of Marcus Foster, Toby Hegner, and (likely) Khyri Thomas, it is good to see that Creighton has brought in such a great class. Head coach Greg McDermott has taken this program to new heights recently, especially in the recruiting department.

Leading the way for this class if Marcus Zegarowski, a 6’1″ guard from New Hampshire. He is an excellent playmaker who understands how to get all of his teammates involved. Considering Creighton’s reputation as a 3-point shooting program, adding a facilitator like this makes complete sense. In addition, it is hard to dislike a player as committed to a school as Zegarowski is. According to Omaha.com, the star recruit had this to say about following the Bluejays: “It’s tough because they play sometimes at the same time as my games, but I’m always going on the apps. I gotta see what’s going on with Creighton.”

An athletic finisher, Christian Bishop received interest from several top programs prior to committing to Creighton. Among the teams interested were Kansas State, Missouri, and Wichita State. The last member of the recruiting class is arguably the most intriguing. Sam Froling, an Australian native, is a 6’11” big man with a ton of game. He is an excellent scorer who holds his own inside the paint as a rebounder.
vivid_dude

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:05 pm

Banks to Georgia Tech.

James Banks
‏@00jbanks
Apr 24
More
#Blessed

As for Creighton team recruiting rankings: 34th on 247, 38th on ESPN.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Angry Dan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:57 am

Matt Mooney is down to CU, TTech and NW
Angry Dan

Postby LJay » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:27 pm

Courtney Ramey just committed to Texas. Cremo would be silly to go there now as that kid will be working minutes on his way to getting NBA pay.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:22 pm

Flynn a Top 7 regular transfer (impact transfer)

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...r ... -offseason

MALACHI
FLYNN

Flynn was an early contributor for Ernie Kent's Washington State program as a freshman, averaging close to 10 points per game. He bumped his numbers across the board as a sophomore, averaging 15 points, four assists and three rebounds per game. The 6-foot-1 playmaker has already taken an official visit to Creighton and has also heard from Baylor, San Diego State, Boise State, Nevada, Texas A&M and Gonzaga.

Cremo and Mooney top 2 grad transfers...

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...h ... the-market

ALBANY GUARD JOE CREMO
Cremo is not lacking for college suitors. The 6-foot-4 guard can play all three spots in the backcourt and is coming off a season where he averaged nearly 18 points, four rebounds and four assists per game while knocking down nearly 46-percent of his perimeter attempts. Cremo is someone that can immediately bring shot-making, size and talent to a high major program.

He has already taken an official visit to Creighton and will check out Texas this weekend. Gonzaga, Penn State and Oregon are also in the mix.

SOUTH DAKOTA GUARD MATT MOONEY
Mooney, one of the best players in the Summit League last season, is a standout prospect that can make shots and fill a variety of backcourt roles. He is extremely productive and has started all 68 games during his last two seasons at South Dakota. Last season, he finished with 26 and 31 points against UCLA and TCU respectively, which should quiet any questions about his ability to succeed against top competition.

Mooney is down to a final five of Creighton, Texas Tech, Utah State, Arizona State and Northwestern.

gtmo note: Let's take all 3 of 'em.
Mooney reportedly dwn to 3: Jays, TT, and NW. Visits TT on Tuesday.
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting