Transfer Targets :: 2018

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Transfer Targets :: 2018

Postby JacobPadilla » Wed May 16, 2018 6:47 pm

Yeah, he went juco, then sat out a year, then played a year at TSU then got hurt last year and got a medical redshirt. So he still has one more year to play as a grad transfer.
JacobPadilla

Postby ZMagic30 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:01 pm

Ah, gotcha. Figured it was a sixth year scenario
ZMagic30

Postby vivid_dude » Fri May 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Just a thought...

People seem fired up and upset about the lack of transfers choosing CU and I sense a lot of blame going Coach Mac's way. People are telling him to have more "fire in his belly" (?). Change when we offer (?). And a lot of other weird suggestions.

Why would he change anything based on his strong track record of success? Some of the more important players in Coach Mac's tenure have been transfers. There were a lot of programs after Grant Gibbs, Ricky Kreklow, Cole Huff, Mo Watson, Marcus Foster, etc. and Mac got them. Is one down year forgivable?

Plus, we could still get Mike Daum.
vivid_dude

Postby westojay » Fri May 18, 2018 12:25 pm

vivid_dude wrote:Just a thought...

People seem fired up and upset about the lack of transfers choosing CU and I sense a lot of blame going Coach Mac's way. People are telling him to have more "fire in his belly" (?). Change when we offer (?). And a lot of other weird suggestions.

Why would he change anything based on his strong track record of success? Some of the more important players in Coach Mac's tenure have been transfers. There were a lot of programs after Grant Gibbs, Ricky Kreklow, Cole Huff, Mo Watson, Marcus Foster, etc. and Mac got them. Is one down year forgivable?

Plus, we could still get Mike Daum.

Its been more than one down year. We havent had a transfer who has contributed meaningfully since Foster and that was 3 years ago.
westojay

Postby fritzpointer » Fri May 18, 2018 12:36 pm

So you have already decided that Jefferson won't contribute? I think Marcus was playing in March so that's like 3 mo. Go Jays!
fritzpointer

Postby westojay » Fri May 18, 2018 12:37 pm

fritzpointer wrote:So you have already decided that Jefferson won't contribute? I think Marcus was playing in March so that's like 3 mo. Go Jays!

Marcus signed 3 years ago.
westojay

Postby cujaysfan » Fri May 18, 2018 12:44 pm

if jefferson isn't a very meaningful contributor next season

we're in a whole lot of trouble
cujaysfan

Postby vivid_dude » Fri May 18, 2018 1:01 pm

westojay wrote:
fritzpointer wrote:So you have already decided that Jefferson won't contribute? I think Marcus was playing in March so that's like 3 mo. Go Jays!

Kaleb Joseph signed since then. He was quite sought after by other programs. Good get by Mac at the time.
vivid_dude

Postby mredle » Fri May 18, 2018 3:28 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
westojay wrote:

Kaleb Joseph signed since then. He was quite sought after by other programs. Good get by Mac at the time.

+
mredle

Postby vivid_dude » Fri May 18, 2018 3:48 pm

The criticism of Coach Mac on transfers didn't resonate well with me, so I did a bit of research to see if I am wrong, or the complainers are wrong. You're not going to believe this. I DON'T THINK I'M WRONG!!! In fact, I might argue that Creighton and Mac are as good as any program there is tapping this particular resource.

Here's an article just last year from the Washington Post, in which Coach McDermott is referred to as the "transfer whisperer." https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/11/11/these-five-college-basketball-coaches-make-the-most-of-what-theyve-got/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.aca69d7cd6da The point of this article is to show that even nationally, Coach Mac gets respect for his recruiting.

Mo Watson chose Creighton over Villanova, Illinois, Kansas, Purdue and Vanderbilt (among others).

Coach McDermott did such a great job recruiting Marcus Foster, when Kansas State didn't work out, I don't think Foster even considered anyone else - based on my memory and what I've read. Arguably the TOP transfer of that season chose Creighton. I'm not sure that's even arguable.

Ricky Kreklow chose Creighton for his final year, on his family's dime (not CU's), over programs like Missouri, Nebraska, Butler, and Virginia – who (I believe) were all going to give him a scholarship. Of note, Ricky’s father is a volleyball coach at Missouri, yet he still came to Omaha.

Kaleb Joseph was a Top 50 player out of high school. He chose Creighton without giving other programs who came calling much consideration.

Cole Huff was ranked as a Top 5 transfer candidate his year, and chose Creighton over Iowa and others. Huff said that when he decided to transfer, Creighton wasn't even on his radar - but Coach Mac and the staff did such a great job selling him on coming to Omaha.

Gregory Echenique chose CU over Indiana, Miami, Georgia Tech, and Maryland.

Grant Gibbs chose the Jays over Iowa, Iowa State, and Wisconsin.

Kobe Paras is another I forgot about. The list is long. That's eight high-end transfers choosing Creighton in eight years. If you include Damien Jefferson (not sure how sought after he was), it's nine.

And lest anyone forget the legend of Sam Dunkum (10?), who would have obviously averaged a triple double if allowed to play.

My point: one disappointing offseason on transfers should not deter Coach Mac from doing what has historically been very successful for him.
vivid_dude

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting