Transfer Targets :: 2018

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Transfer Targets :: 2018

Postby ictjay » Fri May 18, 2018 3:49 pm

And we get Mahoney.
ictjay

Postby vivid_dude » Fri May 18, 2018 3:50 pm

And as I type my novel about recent transfer success, we get another good one.

Nice job, Mac and staff!!
vivid_dude

Postby ictjay » Fri May 18, 2018 5:55 pm

vivid_dude wrote:The criticism of Coach Mac on transfers didn't resonate well with me, so I did a bit of research to see if I am wrong, or the complainers are wrong. You're not going to believe this. I DON'T THINK I'M WRONG!!! In fact, I might argue that Creighton and Mac are as good as any program there is tapping this particular resource.

Here's an article just last year from the Washington Post, in which Coach McDermott is referred to as the "transfer whisperer." https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/11/11/these-five-college-basketball-coaches-make-the-most-of-what-theyve-got/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.aca69d7cd6da The point of this article is to show that even nationally, Coach Mac gets respect for his recruiting.

Mo Watson chose Creighton over Villanova, Illinois, Kansas, Purdue and Vanderbilt (among others).

Coach McDermott did such a great job recruiting Marcus Foster, when Kansas State didn't work out, I don't think Foster even considered anyone else - based on my memory and what I've read. Arguably the TOP transfer of that season chose Creighton. I'm not sure that's even arguable.

Ricky Kreklow chose Creighton for his final year, on his family's dime (not CU's), over programs like Missouri, Nebraska, Butler, and Virginia – who (I believe) were all going to give him a scholarship. Of note, Ricky’s father is a volleyball coach at Missouri, yet he still came to Omaha.

Kaleb Joseph was a Top 50 player out of high school. He chose Creighton without giving other programs who came calling much consideration.

Cole Huff was ranked as a Top 5 transfer candidate his year, and chose Creighton over Iowa and others. Huff said that when he decided to transfer, Creighton wasn't even on his radar - but Coach Mac and the staff did such a great job selling him on coming to Omaha.

Gregory Echenique chose CU over Indiana, Miami, Georgia Tech, and Maryland.

Grant Gibbs chose the Jays over Iowa, Iowa State, and Wisconsin.

Kobe Paras is another I forgot about. The list is long. That's eight high-end transfers choosing Creighton in eight years. If you include Damien Jefferson (not sure how sought after he was), it's nine.

And lest anyone forget the legend of Sam Dunkum (10?), who would have obviously averaged a triple double if allowed to play.

My point: one disappointing offseason on transfers should not deter Coach Mac from doing what has historically been very successful for him.

Not sure where you got the thought that everyone was criticising Coach for bringing in transfers. I and others remarked that "grad transfers" were overrated.
ictjay

Postby mredle » Fri May 18, 2018 6:30 pm

vivid_dude wrote:And as I type my novel about recent transfer success, we get another good one.

Nice job, Mac and staff!!

And did Mahoney commit without a visit? I lost track. I went back and saw he did visit early (like so many this year) but apparently he like what he saw and we liked him.
mredle

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed May 30, 2018 1:05 pm

Reid Travis... maybe we'll get him on the rebound? Transfer U and all.
I'm assuming the Jays will have interest...

Jeff Goodman

@GoodmanESPN
Stanford’s Reid Travis will withdraw and transfer elsewhere, sources told ESPN. The odds-on favorite to land Travis is Kentucky.

9:38 AM - May 30, 2018
90 people are talking about this
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu May 31, 2018 1:04 pm

All of UNevada's 3 draft hopefuls returned to school. UN is now at 15 scholied guys. The 2 grad transfers will
probably go back on the market - Ehab Amin and Trey Porter.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby westojay » Thu May 31, 2018 1:19 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:All of UNevada's 3 draft hopefuls returned to school. UN is now at 15 scholied guys. The 2 grad transfers will
probably go back on the market - Ehab Amin and Trey Porter.

I wonder where Tre’ Shawn Thurman fits over there now
westojay

Postby ictjay » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:49 am

@GoodmanESPN
Following Following @GoodmanESPN
More
Nevada commit Ehab Amin told ESPN he will re-open his recruitment. Averaged 17 points, 6.6 rebounds and led nation in steals two years ago at Texas A&M-CC. Redshirted this past year due to injury. Also looked at Wichita State and Texas Tech before committing to Nevada.
ictjay

Postby ictjay » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:50 am

ictjay wrote:

@GoodmanESPN
Following Following @GoodmanESPN
More
Nevada commit Ehab Amin told ESPN he will re-open his recruitment. Averaged 17 points, 6.6 rebounds and led nation in steals two years ago at Texas A&M-CC. Redshirted this past year due to injury. Also looked at Wichita State and Texas Tech before committing to Nevada.

Not convinced he would help.
ictjay

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:34 pm

St Louis U has landed 2 grad transfers - Maryland's Dion Wiley and Drexel's Tramaine Isabell. Good pickups.
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting