Grad Transfers Targets :: 2018

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Grad Transfers Targets :: 2018

Postby ictjay » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:37 am

go_jays wrote:Didn't say that he couldn't score points... as a matter of fact I said... "While he can score points...".

But, IMO we already have guys who can do that. We need guys that can play on BOTH sides of the ball. That's what we are lacking right now and why we are having trouble in March. Plus, he could possibly be a trailer in transition.... but we already have that too!

The teams that are still dancing have struck a balance between scoring points and denying points.

I'm sure all of you have heard this before. But if you can keep it out of our own bucket, then you always have a chance to win.

Believe me, I LOVE to watch the Let It Fly/Let's Run 'Em Over game we play. But I'm also into results.

I've seen him play a few times. I was surprised he averaged over 10 rebounds a game. Just haven't seen or heard anything that would indicate he would be transferring. Guessing a move to a league such as the BE could either enhance or destroy his hopes of being drafted.
ictjay

Postby go_jays » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:43 am

Keep in mind the level of play that he was playing at when he averaged those 10 rebounds.

I think a grad transfer for him would be a very bad idea. I think his weaknesses would be exposed in dramatic fashion. If he has a chance of being drafted in the 1st, or even 2nd round at this point? Grab the money and run like you just stole something.

Not saying that I might not be wrong. But I just don't see it. PLUS, we don't need his skill-set at this point, IMO. We need to focus on getting basketball players with above average athleticism that can shoot from AND defend the perimeter.

That's where most games are won or lost in this era... being good at it from both sides of the ball. You need the inside game to open up the perimeter game. BUT, the perimeter game is the difference-maker in the end... over the long haul.
go_jays

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:59 am

go_jays wrote:And what was the result?

Three-time consensus All American.
National Player of the Year.
5th All Time scorer in NCAA history.
One of three players EVER to score 3,000 points and have 1,000 rebounds.
Most double digit scoring games in NCAA history.
vivid_dude

Postby go_jays » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:08 pm

And how did the team do?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the goal here...
Last edited by go_jays on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go_jays

Postby Jaybird » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:09 pm

go_jays wrote:I think a grad transfer for him would be a very bad idea. PLUS, we don't need his skill-set at this point, IMO.

Um, what now? Is this suddenly an Onion parody?
Jaybird

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:28 pm

go_jays wrote:And how did the team do?

I think you're definitely misunderstanding something. I'm having a tough time understanding your "logic." So, you're essentially saying that if we had a chance to get another Doug McDermott, you'd pass, because his team didn't do well?

Let's take this further. Klay Thompson never played in an NCAA tournament game. Team never got there. Should Washington State have a new "no Klay Thompson type players" rule? Pete Maravich averaged 44 points/game in college during his freshman through junior seasons - never made the NCAA tournament. LSU should really stop recruiting potential 40 point scorers.

Yes, the goal is to win NCAA tournament games. Of course. But saying "players like Doug McDermott aren't going to get us to that goal" is quite ridiculous.
vivid_dude

Postby go_jays » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:29 pm

Onion guy... Is this the best you got?
go_jays

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:30 pm

go_jays wrote:Onion guy... Is this the best you got?

Well, it's exponentially better than "we don't need more Doug McDermotts."
vivid_dude

Postby go_jays » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:36 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
go_jays wrote:And how did the team do?

I think you're definitely misunderstanding something. I'm having a tough time understanding your "logic." So, you're essentially saying that if we had a chance to get another Doug McDermott, you'd pass, because his team didn't do well?

Let's take this further. Klay Thompson never played in an NCAA tournament game. Team never got there. Should Washington State have a new "no Klay Thompson type players" rule? Pete Maravich averaged 44 points/game in college during his freshman through junior seasons - never made the NCAA tournament. LSU should really stop recruiting potential 40 point scorers.

Yes, the goal is to win NCAA tournament games. Of course. But saying "players like Doug McDermott aren't going to get us to that goal" is quite ridiculous.

First of all, I think that the main problem here is that we are equating a player to player that he doesn't even come close to being.

Secondly, another Doug McDermott would be great. But do I think he, or a player of his type, is the answer to what keeps us from going deeper into the Tournament? No. We don't need more scoring. We need more defense... for when our scoring tanks... and even with Doug it tanked once in awhile.

The whole thing comes down to what we are cooking here. Every team has a chemistry... and it's up to the coaching staff to get the recipe right. In my opinion, we don't need more sugar, we need more salt.
Last edited by go_jays on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go_jays

Postby go_jays » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:37 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
go_jays wrote:Onion guy... Is this the best you got?

Well, it's exponentially better than "we don't need more Doug McDermotts."

Ok, that's better, but not exponentially. So ya wanna tell me why we would need more Doug McDermotts... of which Daum is not...

Ya know, you can only play with one ball at a time.

And like I said before... how did the team do with Doug? And I'm not degrading or diminishing any of Doug's accomplishments. He was a great player. But I always thought that National Championships was the benchmark.
Last edited by go_jays on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go_jays

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting