Grad Transfers Targets :: 2018

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Grad Transfers Targets :: 2018

Postby cu8493 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:40 pm

I used to say that, and then I looked at his statistics.

2017-18

At Kansas 21 points, 11 rebounds
at Ole Miss 26 pts, 7 rbs
at Wichita State 31 pts 6 rbs
vs. tOSU 27 pts 6 rbs

2016-17

at Cal 14 pts 3 rbs
at Wyoming 24 pts 8 rbs
at Wichita State 20 pts 4 rbs
vs Gonzaga 17 pts 7 rbs

And his shooting average didn't necessarily go down against those teams - and in some cases was actually above his overall averages. its not like he took dozens of shots to hit those numbers. I was really skeptical last year, but I watched them play Gonzaga last year and several of those games against higher tier schools this year and came away much less skeptical. On top of that, the kid has really good basketball instincts, and that intangible ability to knock down a shot seemingly every time his team really needs it. How many who have played at CU over the years could you say that about? He is not Martin Krampelj quick, but he's no Manny, either. He also does not appear to be afraid to stick his nose in a scrum, which is something we really, really need.

I have no idea if he is really looking to transfer, but I guaranty you that if he does, there will be many P6 schools who will have much more than a passing interest in him. My two cents is that he would find quality minutes on our team next year.
cu8493

Postby Jaybird » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:43 pm

Well, there's also this. Elite level teams restock all the time from JuCo ranks, and those guys they bring in have only played two years in junior college and not at all against D1 competition. Daum has three years of D1 under his belt including three NCAA tournaments, and, gee, it seems like he's done okay. As for coming from smaller programs, one name that comes to mind without looking anything up is Kanter at X. He's scored 26 this season against the Jays, it seems to me he's made a bit of a difference for a team that was relegated to the Big East play-in round a year ago and this year was a national #1 seed, and he came from Wis-Green Bay, if memory serves. But I'll concede there must be plenty of even better examples of grad transfers around the country.

As for the "perimeter game" being the "difference maker in the end", the Jays have a pretty solid perimeter game. How's that been working out in the tournament, you know, "if national championships are the benchmark"? But if a perimeter game is what you want, Daum can give you that too.

When I made the Onion reference, I was trying to be kind and give you the benefit of the doubt.
Last edited by Jaybird on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaybird

Postby go_jays » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:45 pm

cu8493 wrote:I used to say that, and then I looked at his statistics.

2017-18

At Kansas 21 points, 11 rebounds
at Ole Miss 26 pts, 7 rbs
at Wichita State 31 pts 6 rbs
vs. tOSU 27 pts 6 rbs

2016-17

at Cal 14 pts 3 rbs
at Wyoming 24 pts 8 rbs
at Wichita State 20 pts 4 rbs
vs Gonzaga 17 pts 7 rbs

And his shooting average didn't necessarily go down against those teams - and in some cases was actually above his overall averages. its not like he took dozens of shots to hit those numbers. I was really skeptical last year, but I watched them play Gonzaga last year and several of those games against higher tier schools this year and came away much less skeptical. On top of that, the kid has really good basketball instincts, and that intangible ability to knock down a shot seemingly every time his team really needs it. How many who have played at CU over the years could you say that about? He is not Martin Krampelj quick, but he's no Manny, either. He also does not appear to be afraid to stick his nose in a scrum, which is something we really, really need.

I have no idea if he is really looking to transfer, but I guaranty you that if he does, there will be many P6 schools who will have much more than a passing interest in him. My two cents is that he would find quality minutes on our team next year.

Thanks, good stuff. Those stats are helpful. Still feel strongly that he wouldn't help us as much as a wing player with traits that I've mentioned earlier...especially given the fact that he'd be a one and done. We still have some building to do... and he's not a part of my puzzle.

JMO
go_jays

Postby go_jays » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:50 pm

Jaybird wrote:Well, there's also this. Elite level teams restock all the time from JuCo ranks, and those guys they bring in have only played two years in junior college and not at all against D1 competition. Daum has three years of D1 under his belt including three NCAA tournaments, and, gee, it seems like he's done okay. As for coming from smaller programs, one name that comes to mind without looking anything up is Kanter at X. He's scored 26 this season against the Jays, it seems to me he's made a bit of a difference for a team that was relegated to the Big East play-in round a year ago and this year was a national #1 seed, and he came from Wis-Green Bay, if memory serves. But I'll concede there must be plenty of even better examples of grad transfers around the country.

As for the "perimeter game" being the "difference maker in the end", the Jays have a pretty solid perimeter game. How's that been working out in the tournament, you know, "if national championships are the benchmark"? But if a perimeter game is what you want, Daum can give you that too.

When I made the Onion reference, I was trying to be kind and give you the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sure you were... ;)

I don't think you've been reading my other posts. I don't think we have a good perimeter game. We can shoot the 3 (most of the time but not all of the time), but we can't defend it to save our lives. That's why we always seem to find ways to give guys career nights from 3 that otherwise couldn't hit the ocean from a boat.

We need some nasty, pesky, annoying, in your face guys that have above average quickness and defend that dribble as well as contest 3s on a consistent basis. We don't have that... outside of KT... and he's probably gone.

Now, one guy whose name has not come up... Jefferson. If he has that quality, then we'll be a LOT better off.
go_jays

Postby go_jays » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:53 pm

Just look at who's been winning games in The Tournament.

UMBC won both of their games with exactly that. K-State beat us because they completely shut down our offense with those types of guys.

Like I said before... there has to be a balance. We are very shooter-heavy... Let It Fly. I love watching it as well as the Run 'Em Over transition game. But when the shit is hitting the fan, we have trouble getting stops.

Gotta get some work done now...
go_jays

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:58 pm

*EDIT* Looks like someone else did the research while I was doing it.

In my opinion, you are overthinking this. Let's simplify.

Next year's team, if Khryi leaves, doesn't look like one that is going to break the Sweet 16 curse. If we were to add a mature, efficient, proven scorer for one year - how does that hurt? For 2018-2019, why would you ever NOT add a player capable of scoring 20+ points/game. You mentioned the competition. Remember all the doubters saying Doug wouldn't be able to compete against the Big East? How'd that turn out?

And how'd Daum do against upper conference competition in 2017-2018?
@Kansas: 21 points, 11 rebounds
vs. Iowa: won, scored 14 points
@Ole Miss: won, 26 points, 7 rebounds, 3 steals
@Wichita St: 31 points, 6 rebounds
@Colorado: 37 points, 12 rebounds

So, I think you are astonishingly off-base with your opinion, but we are all entitled to them.
vivid_dude

Postby go_jays » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:09 pm

Yes, we are... and my opinion of your opinion is pretty much the same. And I don't think that I am over-thinking this at all. As a matter of fact, I'm bringing it down to its lowest common denominator.

BTW... as an addendum... while I think that our defense is sound schematically, it just doesn't have any bite. I guarantee you, anyone we have faced and has looked at us in advance is not walking away from their meeting saying... "how are ever going to score on these gusys????"

So, in summation... I've always felt that as a coach or manager, you need to address your weaknesses first. IMO, we have a glaring weakness on the defensive side of the ball. You are only as strong as your weakest link. Fix that first. Then you have the luxury of fixing other things as you see fit.
go_jays

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:18 pm

go_jays wrote:Yes, we are... and my opinion of your opinion is pretty much the same.

Fair enough. But given that you actually posed this question....

go_jays wrote:So ya wanna tell me why we would need more Doug McDermotts..

...I'm going to go ahead and do a cartwheel in celebration of the fact that we have different sports opinions.

Have a great afternoon!
vivid_dude

Postby go_jays » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:35 pm

And you as well...
go_jays

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:02 pm

http://kwsn.com/news/articles/2018/mar/21/zimmer-daum-likely-to-return-to-sdsu-but-dont-rule-out-nba/

Sioux Falls article yesterday on Daum. This says - very scientifically, I might add - that there's a 70% chance he stays at SDSU, 25% chance he goes to NBA, and 5% chance he ends up at a "higher-profile school like Creighton or Nebraska." The article does make a decent point about the risk/reward of going to a bigger conference, and whether it would be worth it for him.
vivid_dude

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting