2018 Grad Transfer Connor Cashaw (Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2018 Grad Transfer Connor Cashaw (Commit)

Postby McKinney's Neighbor » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:24 am

His game sounds Nick Porter-ish to me. I like it. The intangibles on this kid sound top shelf. I hope he's comfortable leading as a 5th year guy because we will definitely need it next season.
McKinney's Neighbor

Postby LJay » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:43 am

Technically, he’s a four year guy. Finishing undergrad in three years at a top flight academic school like Rice is danged impressive.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby Venturajay » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:26 pm

Nice pickup, according to Rice he has a 3.492 GPA. Hence, it looks like he has the intellect to adapt quickly to Mac's system.
Venturajay

Postby SeattleJay » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:02 pm

My best guess is that Connor starts and plays a lot. Does anyone else have an opinion? I know it’s way too early to know but I’m interested in what everyone else thinks at this early stage.

I have never seen the guy play but his numbers against good teams give me hope.
SeattleJay

Postby jfan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:19 pm

I tend to agree, unless Ty-Shon takes a big step forward, which is certainly possible. Next year I see starting:
5. Jacob
4. Martin
3. Mitch
2. Connor
1. Davion---at least at the start of the year
The wild card would be Damien J-- Just don't know much about him, but he could be at the 2 with Connor off the bench.
jfan

Postby whiteandblue77 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:24 am

jfan wrote:I tend to agree, unless Ty-Shon takes a big step forward, which is certainly possible. Next year I see starting:
5. Jacob
4. Martin
3. Mitch
2. Connor
1. Davion---at least at the start of the year
The wild card would be Damien J-- Just don't know much about him, but he could be at the 2 with Connor off the bench.

So would that be the TALLEST (overall) starting lineup in CU history?
whiteandblue77

Postby cu8493 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:30 am

Curious why you would pencil him in to start over Tyshon. I like seeing those rebounding numbers in a guard, and hopefully he brings some tough defense based on steal numbers. But his shooting is no better than Tyshon. I would posit that Tyshon played against better competition than Connor. Plus, Tyshon was playing as an 18/19 year old true freshman rather than a 20/21 year old junior, and now has a year in the system under his belt, while Conner will come in new. I understand that Connor is apparently a bright guy and might pick up the system quickly. But, I think we all understand Mac and "trust". I fully expect to see Tyshon take a big step going into next year. Is Connor able to make a similar step up in his game from junior to senior or is he at his ceiling? One of our bigger weaknesses last year was low shooting percentages from Tyshon, Mitch and Damion (all in the low 40%s). We lost three guys who shot 48%, 49% and 53% from the field. To be successful, we are going to have to have our guards shooting north of 45%, IMO. Connor is a career 40% shooter. No doubt Connor brings added depth and hopefully a defensive effort that will rub off on the guys, but personally I don't see any reason to just pencil him in as a starter over Tyshon at this time.
cu8493

Postby jfan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:04 am

I agree that there are reasons that Ty-Shon might start over Conner. The main concern I have about Ty-Shon is that, right now, he seems to lack confidence in his shot. At times last year, it seemed he was thinking too much before shooting, and you could see him hesitate. Mitch has never had that issue and I expect his shooting percentages will go up next year. Connor was on a very bad team last year and was the "man" for that team. His percentages were bad last year, but they were better the previous two years when he was a more peripheral player, which is what I think his role will be next year even if he starts. He is a proven scorer and Ty-Shon is not there yet. Agreed that it was not the same level of competition. I hope Ty-Shon takes the starting position, because that will mean he has stepped up his game and we will be better for that. Some players can make huge jumps between Fr and Soph year. In any case, it wouldn't surprise me if either player started, but I lean towards Connor right now.
Last edited by jfan on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfan

Postby Jaysker12 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:15 am

connor knows what his game is, he knows how to be productive. tyshon is still figuring it out. we will know more about the rotation shakedown later this summer, but right now it looks like the spot is connor's to lose.
Jaysker12

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Could *gasp* rebounding be a strength of this team? I love having Martin and Jacob in the starting lineup together. Harstad/Gallagher Part Deux!! The maturity, basketball IQ, motivation and talent of Cashaw adds to that. We have a ton of other pieces to place in those 1-3 slots, and I'm sure those will work themselves out over the next few months. I wonder if Froling will redshirt, or if he'll be that depth up front that may be a weakness.

If AJ Lawson comes onboard, the excitement level grows. Is his reclassification official or pending? Regardless, considering where we were just a few short weeks ago (and what happened at Villanova), I'm pretty ecstatic about this upcoming season.
vivid_dude

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting