2018 Grad Transfer Connor Cashaw (Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2018 Grad Transfer Connor Cashaw (Commit)

Postby Swellafelon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Loyola Ramblers fan here.

First, congrats on Cashaw's commitment. I agree with your board's sentiment that he will either start or be a valuable contributor off the bench.

Second, I'd like to set the record straight about Cashaw's recruitment. It wasn't quite so stealthy and singular as Mr. Polyfro paints it. In point of fact, Loyola was the first to offer Cashaw as a grad transfer, and this fact was ferreted out by the Loyola message board (Ramblermania) days before Cashaw's name first appeared here. Cashaw visited Loyola on the Thursday preceding his weekend visit to Creighton.
Ramblermania even identified Creighton as a late-arriving competitor for Cashaw.
There is a 5 page thread on Ramblermania discussing Cashaw's recruitment predating any news of his commitment, if anybody is interested in learning more detail. The thread is titled "Loyola Coach Porter Moser on Lack of Respect".
http://www.ramblermania.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

I know none of this matters anymore, but I just wanted to let Creighton fans know there was more to the story than what was related here.
Swellafelon

Postby jays911 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:51 pm

As I understand it, the Jays recruited him in high school, so I don't think we were late to the chase.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby JacobPadilla » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:05 pm

Jaysker12 wrote:connor knows what his game is, he knows how to be productive. tyshon is still figuring it out. we will know more about the rotation shakedown later this summer, but right now it looks like the spot is connor's to lose.

I doubt Mac promised Cashaw anything, so I don't see how the spot is his to lose before he even gets here.

A point guard transitioning to the college game is often difficult as is, so a freshman shooting guard having to play point guard at the highest level was likely an incredibly difficult thing for Ty-Shon. Overall, he did about as well as one could have expected. As for not having confidence in his shot, I don't think pull-up jumpers off the dribble are something a guy with no confidence looks for. He hit a rough patch midseason and shot 2-16 in January. Outside of that, he was 30-80 (37.5%) for the season including an 8-24 start in November as he was starting his career. He was very effective inside the arc all season until a 1-5 finish in March. I didn't see the same crushing loss of confidence that happened to Tazz during Big East play his freshman year. And now Ty-Shon gets to move back to his natural position.

Could Cashaw start? Certainly. But he's going to have to take that spot from a guy who already has a year in the program under his belt.
JacobPadilla

Postby Swellafelon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Believe me, my intent is not to get in a pissing contest, but to set the record straight again, it was Loyola and not Creighton who offered Cashaw out of high school. Just go to Cashaw's Verbal Commits page, click Offers, then click Closed.

The bottom line is you guys won a recruiting contest against Loyola. So congrats. I just wanted to correct Polyfro's erroneous claim that Creighton was the only school who was recruiting Cashaw as a grad transfer.

I wish Connor and Creighton nothing but good luck unless they meet the Ramblers.
Swellafelon

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:17 pm

Read the Ramblermania thread...Good read. It wasn't as stealthy a recruitment as we were lead to believe. Nice thread by the way. Excellent powers of deduction Swellafelon, excellent. Nice board over there at Ramblermania. Thanks for the related info and heads up.

As for HS we were after Brunson and didn't offer Cashaw.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby jays911 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Swellafelon wrote:The bottom line is you guys won a recruiting contest against Loyola. So congrats. I just wanted to correct Polyfro's erroneous claim that Creighton was the only school who was recruiting Cashaw as a grad transfer.

I wish Connor and Creighton nothing but good luck unless they meet the Ramblers.

Same to you. I have had a few cold ones with Porter when he would occasionally show up at the old Pauli's.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby WBR Tom » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Swellafelon wrote:Second, I'd like to set the record straight about Cashaw's recruitment. It wasn't quite so stealthy and singular as Mr. Polyfro paints it. In point of fact, Loyola was the first to offer Cashaw as a grad transfer, and this fact was ferreted out by the Loyola message board (Ramblermania) days before Cashaw's name first appeared here.

First off, welcome to the board. Second, thanks for the additional information -- in our discussion with Connor for the WBR interview we published after his commitment, he made a point to say he wanted to keep the recruitment as stealthy and quiet as possible out of respect for Rice, and by all accounts CU's staff respected those wishes. The Omaha World-Herald's interview yielded the same intel.

You're right, my original post played up the stealthiness a bit more than necessary. Though in my defense, with no on-the-record reports anywhere listing other offers (or even visits) for Connor, and no reports he was even considering a transfer, combined with his own comments about wanting it to be quiet and the CU staff being so unusually stern to both us and other outlets about not reporting his visit, it wasn't a very big jump to make. I'm guessing he asked Loyola's staff to be similarly quiet about it, and it's no surprise to anyone here that Porter would do so. He's a helluva guy and a helluva coach.

Anyway, congrats on the Final Four run, thanks for additional intel on Connor's recruitment, and best of luck this season!
WBR Tom

Previous

Return to Recruiting