Hunter Sallis offered (Gonzaga Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Hunter Sallis offered (Gonzaga Commit)

Postby slaw » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:19 am

I think Sallis would have been just what this team needed in terms of athleticism

So far 50% FG, 44% 3PT, 85% FT

Especially if we end up playing Baylor at the 4 more often with Farabello in a 3 guard line-up.
slaw

Postby omajay » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:31 pm

I am not sure how hard we tried to get Hunter last year. But if we didn’t pursue him aggressively in the portal, it was a huge miss.
omajay

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:10 am

omajay wrote:I am not sure how hard we tried to get Hunter last year. But if we didn’t pursue him aggressively in the portal, it was a huge miss.

We tried, but why would he come here if Trey was coming back? He's a 2 guard for Wake, playing 35 minutes a game, Miller's playing the PG spot and they funnel a lot of shots through the 2 of them. He isn't a PG, and if Alexander isn't a PG then we have the same issues we are seeing now. It'd be nice to have another bigger guard, but Sallis was smart enough to look for a place where he'd get a lot of playing time and a lot of shots
Chicagojayfan

Postby JacobPadilla » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:49 pm

omajay wrote:I am not sure how hard we tried to get Hunter last year. But if we didn’t pursue him aggressively in the portal, it was a huge miss.

Wake "pursued" him a lot more aggressively than Creighton could afford to match regardless of how interested he may have been from a basketball standpoint. Props to Steve Forbes; it was a big gamble based on what Hunter showed at Gonzaga, but he's been able to get him back to playing like the guy he was in high school, which I'm happy to see.
JacobPadilla

Postby omajay » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:06 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:

Wake "pursued" him a lot more aggressively than Creighton could afford to match regardless of how interested he may have been from a basketball standpoint. Props to Steve Forbes; it was a big gamble based on what Hunter showed at Gonzaga, but he's been able to get him back to playing like the guy he was in high school, which I'm happy to see.

Thanks for the information. If Wake offered more NIL money, then that answers my question. There is not much we could have done to offset that if we didn't have the funds.

NIL money aside, I look at Hunter vs. J. Lawson. Both had similar averages last year if my memory is correct. One is the leading scorer for an ACC team; the other never plays. Quite a difference, unfortunately. We sure could have used someone like Hunter to provide scoring options. NIL changes everything.
omajay

Postby #RollJays » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:49 pm

omajay wrote:
JacobPadilla wrote:

Thanks for the information. If Wake offered more NIL money, then that answers my question. There is not much we could have done to offset that if we didn't have the funds.

NIL money aside, I look at Hunter vs. J. Lawson. Both had similar averages last year if my memory is correct. One is the leading scorer for an ACC team; the other never plays. Quite a difference, unfortunately. We sure could have used someone like Hunter to provide scoring options. NIL changes everything.

If you've watched Wake play, they basically have no bench at all. Hunter gets a million opportunities every game. He wouldn't have that here with Baylor and Trey. Sometimes if you don't have the chances, you don't make the leap.

Obviously, right now Ashworth is struggling and his lack of size and defense hurts us. It also hurts us not having a true point guard or with having 3 guys share the load at PG. If you were going to do the latter, it probably would have made sense to go with a player with more size that can still stretch the floor for you like Hunter. But we didn't have the NIL allocation to match nor did we have the touches he wanted.
#RollJays

Previous

Return to Recruiting