Hunter Sallis offered (Gonzaga Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Hunter Sallis offered (Gonzaga Commit)

Postby Old MVC Days » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:20 am

It's a good choice for him. He'll do much better there than if he had chosen UK, KU or UNC. Hopefully we'll get to a point in our program where we land 5 star guys.
"This feels almost ... holy, as if Wragge and Co. were some breakaway group of ascetics who decided to shoot threes instead of chant sutras." - Deadspin
Old MVC Days

Re: Hunter Sallis offered

Postby bluejayfan00 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:33 am

LynchMob wrote:Being highly recruited doesn't do anything for local kids - performing up to that recruitment might help.

Not a surprise here, Creighton was only in that list as the local school, everybody knew he wasn't coming here, outside of wishful thinking.

I mean, that’s not entirely true. I don’t think any of us actually thought he was coming here, but to say he only included us cause we’re local is dismissing the job the staff did with him. He and his mom both really like Coach Mac, and they did a pretty good job with him. We just aren’t at the level as the other programs, and we all knew that. But I wouldn’t say he just threw us in there for shits and gigs because we’re in Omaha. We did a nice job with him, FWIW. Nebraska wasn’t on the list for shits and gigs, and Hoiberg has a damn good class coming in.

Also, from Jacob Padilla on Twitter:

“When asked for a runner-up, Hunter said he really liked Creighton, North Carolina and Kentucky.

The visit he took last year played a big part in his decision.”
bluejayfan00

Re: Hunter Sallis offered

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:39 am

bluejayfan00 wrote:
LynchMob wrote:Being highly recruited doesn't do anything for local kids - performing up to that recruitment might help.

Not a surprise here, Creighton was only in that list as the local school, everybody knew he wasn't coming here, outside of wishful thinking.

I mean, that’s not entirely true. I don’t think any of us actually thought he was coming here, but to say he only included us cause we’re local is dismissing the job the staff did with him. He and his mom both really like Coach Mac, and they did a pretty good job with him. We just aren’t at the level as the other programs, and we all knew that. But I wouldn’t say he just threw us in there for shits and gigs because we’re in Omaha. We did a nice job with him, FWIW. Nebraska wasn’t on the list for shits and gigs, and Hoiberg has a damn good class coming in.

Also, from Jacob Padilla on Twitter:

“When asked for a runner-up, Hunter said he really liked Creighton, North Carolina and Kentucky.

The visit he took last year played a big part in his decision.”

Hard to complain about making it to the final list (when that is the list). I get that he's local, but he really looked to me like he was going to get out of town for college ball so I'm not all that disappointed about this. Too bad as he could have been an instant starter and would have been perfect for our system.

Hopefully we get a bit of revenge and take down Zaga this weekend ;)
Chicagojayfan

Postby Altmanforprez » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:54 am

I've thought from the start that if he didn't end up at Creighton I really hoped he would choose Gonzaga from the rest of the schools on the list. I don't think I would have been at all disappointed if it wasn't for the fact it ended up being two days before we play Gonzaga in the biggest game in school history.
Altmanforprez

Postby Realhoops » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:18 am

Wish him all the best and hope it works out for him. With these really highly touted and high potential local kids, I always hope for the best for them wherever they go and always look forward to watching to see if it pans out for them. Such a great opportunity for him to go play for Few and that program and, like others, I'd much rather see him there than at UNC or Kentucky or Duke or somewhere.

In this year's class, but Sallis and Hepburn seem like the kind of local kids with really high potential that I hope thrive wherever they end up. Lots of local kids that have seemed to have that potential have never really realized it when going elsewhere (at least over the last decade or so) compared to those who stayed here and played for the Jays when given the opportunity, so it'll be interesting to see if the sharp uptick in local talent and the larger pool of local kids likely to end up at other high profile programs do succeed.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Mr. Tuxedo » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:43 am

He'll be back. Wait and see.
Ask for Red.
Mr. Tuxedo

Postby jaysfan3 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:08 pm

jaysfan3

Postby JacobPadilla » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:56 pm

"I really liked Creighton, UNC and Kentucky" was the exact quote. Rex missed one in there. The question was about who the runner-up was.

Like bluejayfan00 said above, Creighton wasn't a pity inclusion. He actually did like Creighton. Just hard to compete with the best program in the country who he got a chance to visit before the pandemic hit.

He also said he didn't make his final decision until Monday and didn't tell Few until Wednesday.
JacobPadilla

Postby TBC Alum » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:44 pm

Mr. Tuxedo wrote:He'll be back. Wait and see.

Right, Tennessee. Rrrriiiiiiight.

(You probably need to be over 50 to get a reference to Tennessee Tuxedo.)
TBC Alum

Postby SeattleJay » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:32 pm

Guys on the radio said he was a verbal commit to Gonzaga but hadn’t signed on the dotted line.
SeattleJay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting