2020 C Ryan Kalkbrenner (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2020 C Ryan Kalkbrenner (Signed)

Postby Django » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:59 pm

Watching St John’s beating Duke in MSG, lol, love Tariq Owens. Skinny as all get out but smoove as hell. I really hope we don’t force feed Ryan and try to hard to turn him into a Big East 5. Hopefully our strength and conditioning program enhances his strength but also his speed and agility. After watching some old games with Echenique Vs this year with Bishop I’m blown away how quick and athletic Christian plays. I’m sure Kalkbrenner will develop, I just hope we enhance his SKILLS rather than try and turn him into Shaq
At Creighton Bob Gibson majored in sociology and starred in Basketball and Baseball. In 1957 Gibson received a $3,000 sign-on bonus with St. Louis Cardinals, but delayed his HOF Cards career a year to play pro B-ball with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Django

Postby #RollJays » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:41 pm

Django wrote:Watching St John’s beating Duke in MSG, lol, love Tariq Owens. Skinny as all get out but smoove as hell. I really hope we don’t force feed Ryan and try to hard to turn him into a Big East 5. Hopefully our strength and conditioning program enhances his strength but also his speed and agility. After watching some old games with Echenique Vs this year with Bishop I’m blown away how quick and athletic Christian plays. I’m sure Kalkbrenner will develop, I just hope we enhance his SKILLS rather than try and turn him into Shaq

I can’t think of a single player that Mac has tried to beef up to their detriment. It’s always been about pace and skill. If anything I would probably complain about the lack of weight lifting.
#RollJays

Postby Django » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:12 pm

#RollJays wrote:
Django wrote:Watching St John’s beating Duke in MSG, lol, love Tariq Owens. Skinny as all get out but smoove as hell. I really hope we don’t force feed Ryan and try to hard to turn him into a Big East 5. Hopefully our strength and conditioning program enhances his strength but also his speed and agility. After watching some old games with Echenique Vs this year with Bishop I’m blown away how quick and athletic Christian plays. I’m sure Kalkbrenner will develop, I just hope we enhance his SKILLS rather than try and turn him into Shaq

I can’t think of a single player that Mac has tried to beef up to their detriment. It’s always been about pace and skill. If anything I would probably complain about the lack of weight lifting.

He definitely tried and succeeded to beef up Patton, you're absolutely right it wasn't to his detriment, at least while at Creighton. He did the same with Jake and I love the kid but to be honest he looks like he skipped leg days. I don't remember Jake complaining about being "bulked up" because he's so polite, but man Patton would talk about it EVERY interview! :lol: :D

at the 2:35 minute:
"like we would go on road trips and Coach Mac would shove all the leftover food on my table on the plate in front of me.
-Justin Patton

https://youtu.be/N1cvTgCoZVM

"If we were going to get him to where we thought we could, he needed to make a lot of changes in his life," McDermott said. For one, he ate like, well, a kid. Patton's diet had been big on french fries and fried foods. (Patton's eating habits were so poor that his AAU program has since mandated what their players eat between games.)
McDermott took Patton to Spaghetti Works in downtown Omaha before the 2015-16 season, "just so I could get him a good pasta meal and start to send the message early," he said. He laid out a nutrition and workout plan for Patton, who weighed 205 pounds at that time. (He's now 233 pounds.)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/268 ... eaming-big
At Creighton Bob Gibson majored in sociology and starred in Basketball and Baseball. In 1957 Gibson received a $3,000 sign-on bonus with St. Louis Cardinals, but delayed his HOF Cards career a year to play pro B-ball with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Django

Postby Realhoops » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:42 pm

Django wrote:
#RollJays wrote:

He definitely tried and succeeded to beef up Patton, you're absolutely right it wasn't to his detriment, at least while at Creighton. He did the same with Jake and I love the kid but to be honest he looks like he skipped leg days. I don't remember Jake complaining about being "bulked up" because he's so polite, but man Patton would talk about it EVERY interview! :lol: :D

at the 2:35 minute:
"like we would go on road trips and Coach Mac would shove all the leftover food on my table on the plate in front of me.
-Justin Patton

https://youtu.be/N1cvTgCoZVM

"If we were going to get him to where we thought we could, he needed to make a lot of changes in his life," McDermott said. For one, he ate like, well, a kid. Patton's diet had been big on french fries and fried foods. (Patton's eating habits were so poor that his AAU program has since mandated what their players eat between games.)
McDermott took Patton to Spaghetti Works in downtown Omaha before the 2015-16 season, "just so I could get him a good pasta meal and start to send the message early," he said. He laid out a nutrition and workout plan for Patton, who weighed 205 pounds at that time. (He's now 233 pounds.)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/268 ... eaming-big

There's a pretty big difference between trying to get guys to eat properly and to eat in a way that lets them put on muscle to handle the physicality of big-time college ball vs. dominating local high school hoops on the one hand (what Mac did with Patton) and trying to bulk somebody up to look like Shaq and not maintain mobility and skills. There is zero history of Mac ever trying to turn somebody into a "Shaq" at the expense of that guy being able to run the floor and move -- Patton bulked up and got better nutrition, stronger, etc., but was still able to run the floor ahead of almost everyone else except maybe Mo.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:48 pm

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised by the conditioning of the team this past year. Obviously, we play small and a lot of bigger teams have trouble keeping up, but our big 3 played heavy minutes and everyone to me looked both stronger and more fit this past season.

I think the new changes to S&C have been excellent (wonder if Coach Mac's been getting some ideas from Doug's experiences in the NBA)
Chicagojayfan

Postby Django » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:56 pm

cherry picking a sarcastic exaggeration about shaq and mixing it with another post replying to another post? :roll:

my original thought came when watching one of my favorite New Big East player Tariq Owens--Man that dude is huggy bear snoop dog if I've ever seen him. Love that guy and it looked like he got skinnier all four years. Made the NBA, with the Suns in a similar position as Patton. Still looks skinny. Also Henson from North Carolina comes to mind. He was pretty skinny but held his own as a 5 because of his ability to move. Christian isn't very big or tall, but he's so damn fast and crafty, similiar to Doug was around the rim, but more athletic.

Regarding Ryan, he seems to be a mix between Epperson and Patton. Not quite as dynamic and fast as Patton on the offensive end but definitely is faster and a bit smoother than Jake and Justin blocking shots. I would just like to see him NOT redshirt (I know that nobody is saying he is) to put on any weight and just get in there for some good minutes to take the pressure off Christian, who I think should continue to get the bulk of minutes at the 5. Artino's freshman year was his best because he came off the bench with fresh legs and was great for a few sprints up and down the floor before Echenique or another rotated at the 5. I think Ryan is 1,000 times what Artino was, so I'd also expect his role to get bigger and bigger as his freshman year goes on, similiar to Christian's freshman year. No injuries this time, just continuing to get Mac's trust as the year goes on. We're going to need him most in MSG, where we will win the REAL championship 8-)
Django

Postby Helmzy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:55 pm

https://twitter.com/eliteamsports/statu ... 97571?s=21
Love that he plays with some emotion. I really hope he’s ready to play next year.
Helmzy

Postby LJay » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Man, his defensive timing is special. I look forward to watching him ball out. But man, he is thin. Sure wish he could get on campus and start his weight training and nutrition regimen in June.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:23 pm

Helmzy wrote:https://twitter.com/eliteamsports/status/1251186709749997571?s=21
Love that he plays with some emotion. I really hope he’s ready to play next year.

"Best rim protector in the 2020 class."

Love that quote. It's something that has been missing since Echenique. CU has improved so much defensively, and if we maintain that mindset, plus have a mistake-eraser manning the paint, it could be special.
vivid_dude

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:17 pm

I will enjoy watching him for the year he is here! :twisted:
SonofFrankTomera

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting