2020 Class

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2020 Class

Postby Ethanfor3 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:38 am

Helmzy wrote:https://theathletic.com/1815244/2020/05/18/why-creighton-is-going-overseas-to-help-address-its-recruiting-needs/

Cliff notes? It's a pay site.

TIA
Ethanfor3

Postby T-bone » Mon May 18, 2020 10:17 am

Creighton is recruiting international players like Gonzaga has been. Al Huss has been going over there for years.

For the price, I don't think there is any other outlet that is worth the content as much as the Athletic, if you are a sports fan.
T-bone

Postby creightonotter » Mon May 18, 2020 10:33 am

T-bone wrote:For the price, I don't think there is any other outlet that is worth the content as much as the Athletic, if you are a sports fan.

+1
creightonotter

Postby vivid_dude » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:58 am

It's interesting (for me, at least) to see how the players CU "missed out on" are doing in their freshman seasons. When I look at the Jays' targets for the 2020 class, the four players that hurt most when they signed elsewhere were Kerwin Walton, Joshua Primo, DJ Carton, and Daniel Batcho.

Thus far, averages:
Walton - 11 minutes, 1 points, 1.6 rebounds, 1.6 assists
Primo - 17 minutes, 5 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist
Carton - 22 minutes, 8 points, 3 rebounds, 2.3 assists
Batcho - injured; knee surgery; out two months

It was disappointing to miss out on all, but you gotta wonder. If one of the guards signed, would CU land TyTy and Rati? Would the Jays be in the hunt for Hunter Sallis still? If Batcho signs, does Mason Miller commit? Lots of pointless, mind-throttling choose-your-own-adventure scenarios all lead me to one conclusion - I'm pretty happy with how it all played out. Maybe it was meant to be for everyone. Good luck to all of them and all of us.

Also of note:
Tristan Enaruna ('19) isn't playing much at Kansas. Two minutes against Kentucky tonight. CU could be losing Mitch, DJ, and Denzel after this season. Just sayin'...
Jalen Windham (Creighton transfer) had 11 minutes in his first game for Ball State. Scored 5 points.
Max Murrell ('20, Omaha kid, playing for Stanford) - 7 minutes and 5 minutes in first two games
Ian Steere ('18; former Creighton commit) - sitting out a redshirt transfer year at UNC-Wilmington. When Steere de-committed from Creighton, I was crushed. His tape was exceptional and the type of player Creighton hasn't recruited often. Hope he finds what he's looking for. Surprised he didn't get a waiver.
Tugs Bowen - just signed a 2-way contract with the Pacers on 11/27. Good for him.
vivid_dude

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:25 am

T-bone wrote:Creighton is recruiting international players like Gonzaga has been. Al Huss has been going over there for years.

For the price, I don't think there is any other outlet that is worth the content as much as the Athletic, if you are a sports fan.

I'm getting a 12 months for $1.00 a month offer until Friday on my Facebook feed right now. May want to go look for it if someone is interested. I signed up to test it out.

I wish the Underground here had a model where we could chip in a buck or two a month to help them keep up their great work.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:39 am

vivid_dude wrote:It's interesting (for me, at least) to see how the players CU "missed out on" are doing in their freshman seasons. When I look at the Jays' targets for the 2020 class, the four players that hurt most when they signed elsewhere were Kerwin Walton, Joshua Primo, DJ Carton, and Daniel Batcho.

Thus far, averages:
Walton - 11 minutes, 1 points, 1.6 rebounds, 1.6 assists
Primo - 17 minutes, 5 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist
Carton - 22 minutes, 8 points, 3 rebounds, 2.3 assists
Batcho - injured; knee surgery; out two months

It was disappointing to miss out on all, but you gotta wonder. If one of the guards signed, would CU land TyTy and Rati? Would the Jays be in the hunt for Hunter Sallis still? If Batcho signs, does Mason Miller commit? Lots of pointless, mind-throttling choose-your-own-adventure scenarios all lead me to one conclusion - I'm pretty happy with how it all played out. Maybe it was meant to be for everyone. Good luck to all of them and all of us.

Also of note:
Tristan Enaruna ('19) isn't playing much at Kansas. Two minutes against Kentucky tonight. CU could be losing Mitch, DJ, and Denzel after this season. Just sayin'...
Jalen Windham (Creighton transfer) had 11 minutes in his first game for Ball State. Scored 5 points.
Max Murrell ('20, Omaha kid, playing for Stanford) - 7 minutes and 5 minutes in first two games
Ian Steere ('18; former Creighton commit) - sitting out a redshirt transfer year at UNC-Wilmington. When Steere de-committed from Creighton, I was crushed. His tape was exceptional and the type of player Creighton hasn't recruited often. Hope he finds what he's looking for. Surprised he didn't get a waiver.
Tugs Bowen - just signed a 2-way contract with the Pacers on 11/27. Good for him.

Nice breakdown. It will be interesting to see how they progress as the season goes on. I am also watching to see how much Lok Wur plays for Oregon this year (shocking just how much local talent there's been in Nebraska the past few years).

Agree that I'm really happy with how things worked out. Wouldn't trade what we have coming in for the ones we missed out on really. Coaches have done great work in building a roster and haven't had that many misses, so we've had a stacked roster for a couple of recruiting cycles that made it hard to show a path for minutes to some of these kids... and yes, they're top recruits and expect to play, but beating out established BE players is different than beating out another recruit who's yet to make it.

Although losing out on Enuaruna hurt a lot given when he could have come in and played and our need at the 4. I really thought he might look around after last year. During the conference season he ended up seeing his minutes drop to 7.4 a game while not playing every game which looks like the same minutes he's getting this year.. .but this year's a freebie in eligibility so may as well go with the team where he'll get games and practice time.

I'm rooting for Windham to do well there. Closer to home and I expect him to earn minutes fast at that level. Kid has a sweet shot

FWIW, if Rati gets healthy I think he'll be good, and there were some good things said about Modestas.. and Kalkbrenner's just a special player, so our 2020 class in combination with '21 should be very, very good.
Chicagojayfan

Previous

Return to Recruiting