2021 SG Joshua Primo (Bama Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2021 SG Joshua Primo

Postby vivid_dude » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:53 pm

Aren't the betting odds on both Windham and Mintz leaving? That's not to say it'll happen, but reading the tea leaves - isn't that more likely than not?

With that as a likelihood (not certainty), we could use another wing. It'll be a luxury, and not a necessity, because Jones (in theory) could step in and replace what we'd want from Mintz. Our roster will be exceptional with or without adding another rotation player in 2020-2021.

Recruiting priorities if we miss out on Primo/Walton:
- Landing two top-end grad transfers that sit a year, and come in 2021-2022. DJ Carton and one of the others linked to Creighton. (Griffin?)
- Tamar Bates - '21 and/or Jalen Warley - '21 and/or Hunter Sallis - '21 (Carton would hurt our chances with Sallis, theoretically)
- A tall player
- "Tugs" Bowen (should I start a thread on him?)
vivid_dude

Postby bluejayfan00 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:58 pm

I disagree with the argument that any guard/wing player we recruit or land would hurt the chances of landing another, especially in 2021. Unless they’re strictly POINT guards. Our offense trots out 3 guards at a time, anyways.

If we could *hypothetically* land Carton, Sallis, and let’s say Bates.. they could all play the 1-3 in that order. Same with someone like Warley and Griffin, or Brantley from NY who seems to be a PG size but is a scorer.

If MZ stays for his senior year, he’s obviously the 1. If we were to land Carton, he can play the 2. Then at the 3, a 6’4/6’5 ish wing like Sallis, Warley, or Bates could play the 3. We will have so many minutes available in 2021-22 that we should take all the talent we can get, regardless of position.
bluejayfan00

Postby CURx » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:01 pm

Completely spit-balling here, but I wonder if this whole Covid thing is factoring majorly into Davion's decision. With no contact between players/coaches I would think it would have to be difficult to "marry" a coach/program for 1 year in which you haven't been able to meet in person or see their facilities. Also, realistically you will lose an entire summer of going to the school and preparing yourself with their schemes, building team camaraderie/relationships, adjusting to new scenery, etc. Maybe Davion is happy with Creighton and his potential role within it, his relationship with the coaches and players, the overall potential of playing on a Sweet 16/Final Four (I can dream) type team, and the uncertainty of the next 6 months.
CURx

Postby vivid_dude » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:40 pm

CURx wrote:Completely spit-balling here, but I wonder if this whole Covid thing is factoring majorly into Davion's decision. With no contact between players/coaches I would think it would have to be difficult to "marry" a coach/program for 1 year in which you haven't been able to meet in person or see their facilities. Also, realistically you will lose an entire summer of going to the school and preparing yourself with their schemes, building team camaraderie/relationships, adjusting to new scenery, etc. Maybe Davion is happy with Creighton and his potential role within it, his relationship with the coaches and players, the overall potential of playing on a Sweet 16/Final Four (I can dream) type team, and the uncertainty of the next 6 months.

I hadn't really thought of this - and in my mind, chalked Mintz up as gone - but it made a lot of sense as I read it. But I still think that if an ACC team or program like UNC-Charlotte calls, promises him a starting gig and 30 minutes, he's likely gone for his professional basketball aspirations. It'd be tough to blame him.

If you can dream about the Final Four, I can take it further. (This is assuming Davion stays)

Final Four, last possession, Creighton up by 2 over Kentucky and it's the Wildcats ball. We put out a defensive line-up, for that final possession, of Shareef, Davion, Ty-Shon, Kalkbrenner and Jones/Bishop. That's some athleticism/defense!

(In my dream, Ty-Shon completely takes Kentucky's best player out of his game who throws up a garbage runner from 10 feet that Kalkbrenner comes into block emphatically out to the half-court line and the 20,000 Jay fans in attendance rush the court. Kevin Willard complains about it and we charter a plane to the Prudential Center in New Jersey and cut down the nets on Seton Hall's home court. It wasn't the most coherent dream.)
vivid_dude

Postby SeattleJay » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:34 pm

Dare to dream Vivid.
SeattleJay

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:20 pm

Vivid_dude: Same dream different version:

Championship Game, last possession, Creighton up by 2 over North Carolina and it's the Cheaters ball. We put out a defensive line-up, for that final possession, of Shareef, Davion, Ty-Shon, Kalkbrenner and Jones/Bishop. That's some athleticism/defense!

(In my dream, Bishop smacks John Henson's wrist who throws up a garbage runner from 10 feet that Kalkbrenner comes into block emphatically out to the half-court line and the 20,000 Jay fans in attendance rush the court. UNC fans worldwide let out an audible whine heard by researchers at McMurdo Station in Antarctica. Kevin Willard complains about it and we charter a plane to the Prudential Center in New Jersey and cut down the nets on Seton Hall's home court. It wasn't the most coherent dream.)
vivid_dude

FIFY
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby drbluejay » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:27 am

247sports crystal ball prediction has Alabama 100% but they can be wrong. About 5 years ago they said Creighton was 100% for a kid that ended up at Michigan St. This has happened to many schools. Let's turn the tables on this prediction.
drbluejay

Postby #RollJays » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:01 am

drbluejay wrote:247sports crystal ball prediction has Alabama 100% but they can be wrong. About 5 years ago they said Creighton was 100% for a kid that ended up at Michigan St. This has happened to many schools. Let's turn the tables on this prediction.

Primo is going to Bama. Don't get your hopes up. It's a done a deal.
#RollJays

Postby bluejayb13 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:57 am

It’s official. To Bama.
bluejayb13

Re: 2021 SG Joshua Primo (Bama Commit)

Postby minakirogue » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:10 am

No surprise. I've never felt better about the program to not get a 5*.
minakirogue

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting