Tamar Bates 2021 Wing (Indiana commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Tamar Bates 2021 Wing

Postby Waylon Van Smack » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:52 pm

SonofFrankTomera wrote:
drbluejay wrote:In other words, Tamar turned down Creighton's offer because the coach is white.

My money was that Waylon was going to post something like this.

Exscrotum me?
Waylon Van Smack

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:38 pm

Waylon Van Smack wrote:
SonofFrankTomera wrote:
drbluejay wrote:In other words, Tamar turned down Creighton's offer because the coach is white.

My money was that Waylon was going to post something like this.

Exscrotum me?

Exactly!
SonofFrankTomera

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:01 am

ZMagic30 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:He'll probably follow Shaka to Marquette but Tamar just ask for his release from Texas.

Yeah, Marquette seems like the likely landing spot. I would say there's a snowball's chance in hell that he even responds to a text from a Creighton coach reaching out to him.

I thought Bates was a great recruit and would have fit well for us. He's likely following Shaka to Marquette, but can pretty much guarantee we're reaching out to him.

With TyTy gone, he'd fit that role of a guy who can score, handle and distribute from the wing. He's also long and athletic and can play D. He'd see really early playing time with us and fill in a need on a team that has a lot of the other pieces around him.
Chicagojayfan

Postby loynograd98 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:16 pm

per the KC Star when announcing his original commitment to Texas.

“I wanted to play for a Black head coach with everything that is going on (socially in the country),” Bates said. “It was very important and I feel like I can help get something started. It was important to me to show that I am actually going to do it.

“I feel like Black coaches don’t get the same opportunities to get good players at their schools. I want to go and start something at Texas and bring back the winning tradition.”
loynograd98

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:38 pm

The likelihood of a recruit going from "I wanted to play for a black coach" to committing to the guy who made the plantation comment...I'm not even willing to allow myself Lloyd Christmas-level optimism here. That seems like a 0% chance. I know nothing about how close Tamar was to committing to Creighton, but with those two facts in front of me, I won't be holding out any hope here.
vivid_dude

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:15 pm

vivid_dude wrote:The likelihood of a recruit going from "I wanted to play for a black coach" to committing to the guy who made the plantation comment...I'm not even willing to allow myself Lloyd Christmas-level optimism here. That seems like a 0% chance. I know nothing about how close Tamar was to committing to Creighton, but with those two facts in front of me, I won't be holding out any hope here.

True, but also it's all interesting given that Shaka was pulling down more than 3M a year at Texas and had access to all of that state's recruits and all of the massive resources Texas could throw at the program (and landed the 8th ranked class just back in 2018 and 6th in '17)
Chicagojayfan

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:20 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:The likelihood of a recruit going from "I wanted to play for a black coach" to committing to the guy who made the plantation comment...I'm not even willing to allow myself Lloyd Christmas-level optimism here. That seems like a 0% chance. I know nothing about how close Tamar was to committing to Creighton, but with those two facts in front of me, I won't be holding out any hope here.

True, but also it's all interesting given that Shaka was pulling down more than 3M a year at Texas and had access to all of that state's recruits and all of the massive resources Texas could throw at the program (and landed the 8th ranked class just back in 2018 and 6th in '17)

I'm failing to make the connection. This could be user error on my end. What does Shaka's salary or access to great in-state recruits have to do with what I said? (It's quite possible I'm missing something right in front of me, but I'm not seeing it.)
vivid_dude

Postby Realhoops » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:57 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
Chicagojayfan wrote:

I'm failing to make the connection. This could be user error on my end. What does Shaka's salary or access to great in-state recruits have to do with what I said? (It's quite possible I'm missing something right in front of me, but I'm not seeing it.)

I don’t think it was about your thoughts regarding Bates coming here. But there’s a bit of a disconnect between Bates saying on the one hand he wants to go play for a black coach because they may have difficulty landing the same kind of players and dont have the same opportunities as high profile white coaches, but them going to play at Texas that has never really had an issue landing high quality players and has more resources to throw around than just about anywhere in the country.

Compare to the really high level recruits who pledged last summer to go play at one of the HBCUs for example - actually acting consistently with their message.

Maybe?
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby vivid_dude » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:25 pm

My disconnection is now connected. Thanks, RH.
vivid_dude

Postby CUGrads03 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:14 pm

loynograd98 wrote:per the KC Star when announcing his original commitment to Texas.

“I wanted to play for a Black head coach with everything that is going on (socially in the country),” Bates said. “It was very important and I feel like I can help get something started. It was important to me to show that I am actually going to do it.

“I feel like Black coaches don’t get the same opportunities to get good players at their schools. I want to go and start something at Texas and bring back the winning tradition.”

Could come to CU and get behind something really special that Mac et al decide to start/promote as a result of Mac’s actions that have brought the issue even more to the forefront of our community. I can only hope that they put vigorous action behind the post issue statements and “promises” and partner with and explode the already positive efforts going on with the likes of the Josh’s and others. The ball is squarely in their/our hands to do something great. Will they? I’m hopeful. Obviously not the same as solving the desire for a young man to play for a minority coach but if Creighton and Mac are to turn the negative into a positive by showcasing learning and progress, there could be something he’d want to get involved with. Maybe? Maybe not. I don’t know.
Colors True...
CUGrads03

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting