2020 G Alex O'Connell (Transfer - Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2020 G Alex O'Connell (Transfer - Committed)

Postby NUgradCUfan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:42 am

bird_call wrote:This sounds like an interesting pick-up.

For all of you noting that "Duke is a top-talent team", I note that Creighton is ranked #2 or #3 in the preseason polls right now. This is a transfer to a higher quality team, not a lower one. He'll have to perform to get minutes.

He’s not playing until 2021-22. He’s going to get starter minutes from simply having a firmer grasp of the offense and defense alone, unless we fill the rest of our roster with NBA one-and-dones.
NUgradCUfan

Postby #RollJays » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:48 am

For all of you noting that "Duke is a top-talent team", I note that Creighton is ranked #2 or #3 in the preseason polls right now. This is a transfer to a higher quality team, not a lower one. He'll have to perform to get minutes.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
#RollJays

Postby Duke1Agn » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:37 am

Duke was stacked with NBA lottery pick talent the last 3 years. Alex still carved about 12-15mpg. If you think he won’t be a starter for us in 21-22, you’re kidding yourself.
"Feed him 'til he burps" - Doug Gottlieb on Doug McDermott.
Duke1Agn

Postby Jays26 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:03 am

Duke1Agn wrote:

Duke was stacked with NBA lottery pick talent the last 3 years. Alex still carved about 12-15mpg. If you think he won’t be a starter for us in 21-22, you’re kidding yourself.

I think his tongue was firmly planted in his cheek when he wrote this. At least I hope it was.
Jays26

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:48 am

Glad to see this commitment.

Also thought it was funny that he used an old picture of mine from Wikipedia for the background in his tweet. :)
skinzfan23

Postby go_jays » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:20 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:https://youtu.be/SDnBsX7wEuA

Good clip of O’Connell filling it up against Syracuse in the 2018-19 season

Love the arc on his shot!
go_jays

Postby go_jays » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:30 pm

wildjays wrote:WBR caught up with Alex. Here is more on him.

https://whiteandbluereview.com/creighto ... -oconnell/

Wow.. this kid is already pretty athletic. After a year of our S&C I could see him playing anywhere from the 2 to a stretch 4. He already looks pretty decent defending on the perimeter. And if he beefs up a bit, He could prolly defend the other teams 4 in our go-small defense.

Great find and fit!
go_jays

Postby go_jays » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:31 pm

LJay wrote:Don’t know his game at all but a knock on him by Duke sites/commentators is his D is not a strength at all.

We'll see. After a year of S&C I think that could change drastically.
go_jays

Postby Angry Dan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:05 pm

And a year with a little direction from Coach Lusk
Angry Dan

Postby mightyskid » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:23 am

go_jays wrote:
wildjays wrote:WBR caught up with Alex. Here is more on him.

https://whiteandbluereview.com/creighto ... -oconnell/

Wow.. this kid is already pretty athletic. After a year of our S&C I could see him playing anywhere from the 2 to a stretch 4. He already looks pretty decent defending on the perimeter. And if he beefs up a bit, He could prolly defend the other teams 4 in our go-small defense.

Great find and fit!

I agree. Same HS class as TyShon & Mitch. I went in and watch all film of the three during their recruitment. You could make strong argument his film was the better of the three. Then look at his development while at Duke, and compare it to the development of TyShon and Mitch. The big thing that sticks out.......adding in his sit out season in Omaha mixed with all that big game experience with one of the top blue bloods in Duke. Sort of makes this pickup a very welcomed addition to a team and program that will need that sort of maturity and experience coming in right after what looks like a strong defining year for the Jays program. This is the sort of continued momentum you want to see going into the program with all the other positive mojo already in place. Imho, lot more positive with this pickup than questions that arise with the pickup.
mightyskid

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting