2021 PG TyTy Washington (Decommitted)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2021 PG TyTy Washington (Decommitted)

Postby go_jays » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:11 pm

Trifecta wrote:Why are some people still acting like jilted lovers when it comes to TyTy? He broke up with us, move on :lol:

"We cooled on him" is the universal slogan for every fanbase that missed out on a recruit.

Haha... yeah, I'm a jilted lover. Coaches/Staffs cooling on recruits happens. Sometimes the further/deeperyou get with a recruit, the more you begin to realize it's not a good fit. You don't recruit a player because he's a a 5 star or is a potential NBA drat pick. You recruit a player because he fits your system/culture and compliments what you already have in place. And because he can help you win and not cause you problems off the court or in the locker room.

And the reason you don't hear about it is because you can't talk about players you are recruiting. And even after you could talk about it, you don't want to because in the long run, it doesn't help you any. And people jump to conclusions like the one you just did. Someone might take it as a jilted lover or sour grapes.

So, not sayin' we did. Just sayin' it's a possibility.
go_jays

Postby Altmanforprez » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:44 pm

The chances we cooled on TyTy are less than zero degrees Kelvin (Jones).

With that being said, it definitely ended up getting the better end of his decommit
Altmanforprez

Postby vivid_dude » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:24 pm

Could TyTy have decommitted because he hates really stupid opinions, hypotheticals and conjecture with nothing to back them up? I’m not saying that’s why. Just asking if it’s a possibility.

This fella just accused someone else of jumping to a conclusion. Derpity derp derp derp.
vivid_dude

Postby jon4thejays » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:26 am

Mac, asked his dog what he thought of TyTy and the dog said “ruff” we cooled on TyTy after that. True story just ask any dog, they all know.
Last edited by jon4thejays on Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
jon4thejays

Postby jpinkham3 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:50 am

This thread devolved quickly.
Follow me on Twitter: @BluejayBuff
jpinkham3

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:18 am

jpinkham3 wrote:This thread devolved quickly.

One terrible, unfounded, no-logic-behind-it opinion can do that rather easily.

I hope TyTy becomes an NBA All-Star. Jay fans can have some nice Russell-Westbrook-esque reminiscing about him. In this case, it totally worked out for the better for the Jays. I wouldn't trade any of our three freshmen for TyTy today. Everybody would have traded any of the three for TyTy 9 months ago. Get your revisionist history outta here if you say otherwise!
vivid_dude

Postby Realhoops » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:31 am

vivid_dude wrote:

I hope TyTy becomes an NBA All-Star. Jay fans can have some nice Russell-Westbrook-esque reminiscing about him. In this case, it totally worked out for the better for the Jays. I wouldn't trade any of our three freshmen for TyTy today. Everybody would have traded any of the three for TyTy 9 months ago. Get your revisionist history outta here if you say otherwise!

I would absolutely not have traded two of our three freshman for him at any time. I watched a lot of both him and Nembhard in high school, and I thought Nembhard was the better player the entire time -- he outplayed him every single time they faced each other, was a better team player, and led his team the national championship. He looked so much more like a Creighton PG than Ty-Ty did from the start. And based on raw potential and physical projections, I wouldn't have traded Art for him, either. Coming out of high school you could see the potential projections for Art and his potential to be a player we have never seen here before. Totally different players and positions, so that "trade" would have been weird anyway, but I would have taken Art over Ty Ty if you'd told me I got to pick one.

Probably would have taken him over Trey at the time. And now Trey might be my favorite of all of them. And that's probably the biggest comparison, anyway -- think that's the one we got because of the decommit that we would have missed out on otherwise.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Jaybird » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:26 am

Realhoops wrote:I would absolutely not have traded two of our three freshman for him at any time. I watched a lot of both him and Nembhard in high school, and I thought Nembhard was the better player the entire time -- he outplayed him every single time they faced each other, was a better team player, and led his team the national championship. He looked so much more like a Creighton PG than Ty-Ty did from the start.

Something we can agree on. I watched high school Nembhard every chance that presented itself and I had exactly the same impression. I thought he clearly outplayed TyTy and, for that matter, BryBry, or whatever the cornstarch's recently departed 5 star likes to call himself. I remember his coach saying something along the lines of, well, if I oversleeep or my engine blows on the way to a game, I can just tell Nembhard to coach for me. He'd do at least as good a job anyway. If Washington was intent on playing point guard, I just don't see how that would have worked. Maybe he has more pro potential, dunno, but Ryan seems like the perfect PG for Mac and Creighton. Now, if he can just break that habit of driving headlong for the baseline without an escape plan.
Jaybird

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:30 am

vivid_dude wrote:

I don't think Kaluma and Alexander were committed when TyTy left, but I guess there was some risk TyTy was leaving after a year, but he's not a typical one-and-done type in my mind, so maybe he wouldn't have left with us, who knows.

IF we knew he was leaving after a year for sure, then the equation is pretty easy as I'd rather have the kind of top 100 guys who stay longer than a top 100 guy who leaves even as highly ranked as Washington was.

Kaluma vs. Washington would be a tough decision, but Kaluma should be at least 50/50 with Washington if we'd polled the 2 ahead of time.
Most probably would have leaned toward Washington in the Alexander vs. Washington decision (provided we didn't think of TyTy as one and done),
Nembhard vs. Washington - We needed a PG (Mitchell's great, but not a pure PG) and I was early on in saying Washington wasn't a PG, but more of a combo guard... So I thought we needed Nembhard more.
Miller vs. Washington - While Miller redshirted, this isn't as crazy as people might think. We're talking about a 74th ranked guy vs. a top 20 kind of guy. Miller has more unique skills than people realize (and think we'll see that next year), but probably Washington also
JC vs. Washington - JC could be a good player, but probably not a lot of question here

Knowing that he's jumping to the NBA after a year (hindsight and all of that), I wouldn't trade any of the Frosh (including Miller) for him except for JC.

Anyway, doesn't matter as we ended up better off overall. Good luck to him. Better luck to the guys who are here
Chicagojayfan

Postby vivid_dude » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:44 pm

Jaybird wrote: Now, if he can just break that habit of driving headlong for the baseline without an escape plan.

I believe that's called a "Cavel Witter" in the basketball world. Loved Cavel, but that was a frustrating part of his game too.

My apologies for being so brash in suggesting everyone would have taken TyTy over the three. Good points to the contrary. I still contend it's insane to suggest, without any evidence, that CU cooled on him and that's why he went to Lexington. But that's a different argument.

I think everyone agrees it worked out for the best, so let's sing Kumbaya for Kaluma and the guys who stuck around and, I don't know, might eventually win a national championship.

vivid_dude

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting