2020 Modestas Kancleris - COMMIT

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2020 Modestas Kancleris - COMMIT

Postby LJay » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:42 am

Truly the worst mixtape ever created. Will not hold that against him.

A 6’9 wing player presents interesting options for the Jays.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby vivid_dude » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:42 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:I've never seen a highlight film with so many misses. He needs a good film editor. That being said, he does run the floor well.

Yeah, that stretch where he air-balled a wide-open three, his teammate got a rebound and hit him in stride for a layup (which he missed) wasn't that inspiring.

Doing a bit of research:
- Shot 24% from 3PT in both the '18-'19 and '19-'20 seasons playing for Zalgris Kaunas (my second favorite team to the Jays).
- In his three seasons playing for my Zalgris boys, his FT% was 37.5%, 49.2%, 43.8%
- has always been one of the younger players on Zalgris, but not by much. Average age around 19, and he played as a 16, 17 and 18 year old.
- if you really want to dive into his stats, have a ball: https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Modestas-Kancleris/Summary/108662
- attended the NBA Top 100 camp last summer (which is cool)

He visited Creighton on Feb. 6, so he's had face time with the staff (I assume). The Jays have had more success than not with international players (but poor luck with late roster additions), so while the stats and horrifyingly-edited mix tape don't have me doing cartwheels, I will go ahead and trust the process. What choice do I have?

Modestas Kancleris = MK
Martin Krampelj (who a lot of people - including me - weren't that excited about) = MK

It's gotta work out if the initials are the same.
vivid_dude

Postby REALITY » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:02 pm

vivid_dude wrote:
Wizard of Westroads wrote:I've never seen a highlight film with so many misses. He needs a good film editor. That being said, he does run the floor well.

Yeah, that stretch where he air-balled a wide-open three, his teammate got a rebound and hit him in stride for a layup (which he missed) wasn't that inspiring.

Doing a bit of research:
- Shot 24% from 3PT in both the '18-'19 and '19-'20 seasons playing for Zalgris Kaunas (my second favorite team to the Jays).
- In his three seasons playing for my Zalgris boys, his FT% was 37.5%, 49.2%, 43.8%
- has always been one of the younger players on Zalgris, but not by much. Average age around 19, and he played as a 16, 17 and 18 year old.
- if you really want to dive into his stats, have a ball: https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Modestas-Kancleris/Summary/108662
- attended the NBA Top 100 camp last summer (which is cool)

He visited Creighton on Feb. 6, so he's had face time with the staff (I assume). The Jays have had more success than not with international players (but poor luck with late roster additions), so while the stats and horrifyingly-edited mix tape don't have me doing cartwheels, I will go ahead and trust the process. What choice do I have?

Modestas Kancleris = MK
Martin Krampelj (who a lot of people - including me - weren't that excited about) = MK

It's gotta work out if the initials are the same.

Uh, no choice on this one. It should be pointed out, however, that if he visited campus during the season that he almost certainly scrimmaged with the team. While I'm sure he didn't knock it out of the park, otherwise we would have made a solid offer since we had one ride open at that point, he must have held out well enough that now that we have more scholarships open, the coaches thought he was worth a spot on the second go-round. I'd expect him to redshirt this season and develop skills, his body, etc. If we go get another play-right-away wing it'll be clear (at least to me) that that's the intention.
REALITY

Postby vivid_dude » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:12 pm

My incredibly paranoid take on this signing is that the staff is concerned that either DJ or Mahoney (or both) may actually be done at Creighton. Again, this is extreme paranoia, as I don't think that happens - but if it does, we have a lot of scholarships to fill, Modestas plays their positions, and so you take a player like this.

God, I hope I'm wrong. I remember one of the first posts on Justin Patton's thread when he committed was: "Walk-on?", so maybe I'll look back at this as Modestas wins Big East Player of the Year in 2022-2023 and laugh.

For comparison, Luka Doncic shot 28%, 32% and 31% from 3PT during his final three seasons internationally. So, with the initials and that spot-on comparison, Modestas must be a combination of Luka Doncic and Martin Krampelj.
vivid_dude

Postby REALITY » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:31 pm

vivid_dude wrote:My incredibly paranoid take on this signing is that the staff is concerned that either DJ or Mahoney (or both) may actually be done at Creighton. Again, this is extreme paranoia, as I don't think that happens - but if it does, we have a lot of scholarships to fill, Modestas plays their positions, and so you take a player like this.

God, I hope I'm wrong. I remember one of the first posts on Justin Patton's thread when he committed was: "Walk-on?", so maybe I'll look back at this as Modestas wins Big East Player of the Year in 2022-2023 and laugh.

For comparison, Luka Doncic shot 28%, 32% and 31% from 3PT during his final three seasons internationally. So, with the initials and that spot-on comparison, Modestas must be a combination of Luka Doncic and Martin Krampelj.

That is a bit paranoid. Remember, though, we had 3 scholarships open before Modestas committed. We absolutely have room for a project that could take a redshirt year. We still have room for a sit-out transfer, too, for that matter.
REALITY

Postby mannygakou » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:40 pm

REALITY wrote:
vivid_dude wrote:My incredibly paranoid take on this signing is that the staff is concerned that either DJ or Mahoney (or both) may actually be done at Creighton. Again, this is extreme paranoia, as I don't think that happens - but if it does, we have a lot of scholarships to fill, Modestas plays their positions, and so you take a player like this.

That is a bit paranoid. Remember, though, we had 3 scholarships open before Modestas committed. We absolutely have room for a project that could take a redshirt year. We still have room for a sit-out transfer, too, for that matter.

agreed. too many open scholarships and since open scholarships won't play big minutes next year, this is a good opportunity to add a raw project that can provide meaningful contribution in 2 years.
mannygakou

Postby WBR Tom » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:08 pm

WBR Tom

Postby Jaysker12 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:03 pm

6'9? Hopefuly he's not a point guard. Coaches, please shield this fine young man from Vivid's vitriol
Jaysker12

Postby Angry Dan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:58 pm

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mod ... is-100708/

In 17 Draft Express was digging Kancleris…….Modestas fever on the horizon.
Angry Dan

Postby LJay » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:01 pm

The Jays last Lithuanian Launcher, Nerijus Karlikanovas!! I would take these stats from Modestas and call it good.

https://whiteandbluereview.com/number-5 ... likanovas/

Also the subject of my deep hatred for Helmet Head Alford. I’ve enjoyed watching his coaching career flame out. Couldn’t happen to a more deserving guy.
89 - 60
LJay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting