2020 Rati Andronikashvili Commit

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2020 Rati Andronikashvili Commit

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu May 07, 2020 3:39 pm

LJay wrote:Wow. Jay’s coach is doing a great job of keeping things under cover. I wonder if they’re done?

Probably feel like they have to keep things under cover. We have a habit of finding guys and offering early only to have them blow up and get a lot of competition
Chicagojayfan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu May 07, 2020 3:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH-3xzabHuE

Worth watching. Good handle and very clever with the ball in the paint, but also long and can play D. Last part shows nice shooting tough also. Really happy to land him

Sorry, didn't realize Slaw posted this video early!
Last edited by Chicagojayfan on Thu May 07, 2020 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicagojayfan

Postby HomerJay » Thu May 07, 2020 3:50 pm

Channeling Shadow:

Another foreign player and nobody will be able to pronounce his name. Our coaches really aren't getting it done - what are they doing with these names? Can't they recruit kids with names like Sneezy, Doc or Dopey?
HomerJay

Postby White&BlueDude » Thu May 07, 2020 4:00 pm

White&BlueDude

Postby WBR Tom » Thu May 07, 2020 4:02 pm

Fellow Georgian Sandro Mamukeleshvili on him:

ESPN NBA Draft analyst Mike Schmitz:

And Rati himself, from the ESPN article:

"I knew Creighton way before they called me," Andronikashvili told ESPN. "I've always liked how they play. Their basketball program is amazing. They know me better than anyone, and they really understand me as a player. [Assistant] coach [Alan] Huss was at a lot of my games. Coach [Greg McDermott] has seen me at my best and at my worst. Being with a coach who really knows your game inside and out and how to improve your strengths and weaknesses is what I was looking for.

"They've been calling me every day, not just about basketball, but also asking about my family. That means they really care."

"Their playing style is so fast and so dynamic," Andronikashvili said. "They like to shoot a lot of 3s. Coach Mac gives his players freedom and trusts them to make the best decisions. Sometimes I get flashy and make passes that other coaches won't like. I love to run and pass the ball to open shooters so I will be a good fit.

"The point guards they have, Marcus Zegarowski, is really good. Their guards improve every year. I hope to do the same, and become a better player there, especially improving my physicality and outside shooting."
WBR Tom

Postby REALITY » Thu May 07, 2020 4:21 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:
LJay wrote:Wow. Jay’s coach is doing a great job of keeping things under cover. I wonder if they’re done?

Probably feel like they have to keep things under cover. We have a habit of finding guys and offering early only to have them blow up and get a lot of competition

I think keeping things "under cover" here is an understatement. I hadn't even heard of Rati 5 minutes ago and I'm sure most of if not everyone else here hadn't either.
This really seems like a good get. If he's a top 10 Euro player that's easily a top 100 or top 50 guy if he were rated here.
I do wonder though how we'll manage the ball now. Is Rati good enough to play on the wing? He definitely sounds like more of a pure point than a combo guy from what's online right now. Do we slide Marcus there and have Rati run the show? Ignoring COVID-19 ramifications, that seems pretty dependent on him picking up the offense in an offseason. Marcus did it, though, so I guess it's possible. And what about Reef?
Another question is would he take a redshirt year and work on his shot, learn the offense, build up his body, etc.? It seems like he expects to be here for a bit, so maybe this has already been discussed? That would clear up things a bit, for sure.
And even with Rati, we still have another scholarship to use, too, for a grad transfer, transfer, etc.
Lot of questions. Maybe WB&R can figure some of this out with the interview they normally do with commits?
REALITY

Postby vivid_dude » Thu May 07, 2020 4:27 pm

Initial impressions and questions:

- Fun highlight reel. The first comp that popped into my head was Ricky Rubio.

- He didn't shoot much on the video package, but when he did, the stroke looked solid. Something to build on at Creighton.

- CU's bigs - Epperson, Kalkbrenner and Bishop - are made for the pick-and-roll game. Mr. Andronikashvili seems like a good partner for them.

- Does he redshirt or does Modestas Koncleris (as you can see, I'm practicing spelling their names)? Based on nothing but the video package and what I perceive to be team needs, I'd like to see Mr. Andronikashvili on the court this upcoming season.

- He seems like a player who can create his own shot. Marcus Z and Denzel are the only two on this team that I would categorize as strong in that department. Having another play maker is a welcome skill set.

- Looks like a good on-the-ball defender. Lengthy. Quick hands.
vivid_dude

Postby Durango Jay » Thu May 07, 2020 4:32 pm

Reloaded and ready. Let’s go JAYS!
Durango Jay

Postby skinzfan23 » Thu May 07, 2020 4:48 pm

Welcome to Creighton Rati!

The thing that impresses me the most in the video is the way he plays angles, in all faucets (driving, shooting and passing) Basketball is a game of angles. With that skill set and knowledge you don't have to be the biggest and fastest, but you can be very effective as shown in his highlight video.

I think he will fit in nicely with the ball movement and style of play of Creighton.
skinzfan23

Postby bluejayb13 » Thu May 07, 2020 4:50 pm

This an exciting get. Looking at the names he is mentioned with in the 247 article they are all top 125 guys in their rankings. Should be good for him to learn behind the talent and experience we have back this year and then push for a starting roll after that.
bluejayb13

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting