2021 F Mason Miller (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2021 F Mason Miller (Signed)

Postby WBR Tom » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:17 am

Here's another video with Mason and his trainer from earlier in the week. He's really putting in work to get ready:

WBR Tom

Postby Django » Sat May 01, 2021 3:57 am

Does he know he will have to play the 5 and defend Big East centers because he’s the only one of two players taller than 6’5 on our roster? Are we ever going to get a Big East center? Patton was the only one weve had in this conference yet ironically everyone complained about how he was too skinny. Bishop left because he had to play out of position so instead of getting a true Big East big are we really going to make this rail thin incoming frosh guard Seton Hall, UCONN and Georgetown’s front line?
At Creighton Bob Gibson majored in sociology and starred in Basketball and Baseball. In 1957 Gibson received a $3,000 sign-on bonus with St. Louis Cardinals, but delayed his HOF Cards career a year to play pro B-ball with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Django

Postby Realhoops » Sat May 01, 2021 5:03 am

Django wrote:Does he know he will have to play the 5 and defend Big East centers because he’s the only one of two players taller than 6’5 on our roster? Are we ever going to get a Big East center? Patton was the only one weve had in this conference yet ironically everyone complained about how he was too skinny. Bishop left because he had to play out of position so instead of getting a true Big East big are we really going to make this rail thin incoming frosh guard Seton Hall, UCONN and Georgetown’s front line?

Don’t know if you’ve heard, but we have a guy on the roster named Ryan Kalkbrenner. He will be a sophomore. It may be a risky prediction, but I think he will likely start against all those BIG EAST centers.

We also had a guy named Jacob Epperson who was a legitimate center. Unfortunately he suffered some injuries and now graduated.

Miller won’t be playing center because, unlike Bishop, he can shoot and handle the ball on the wing.

Oh - and both Bishop and Krampelj were used in ways that let them thrive way beyond anything either likely would have done if they had been used as a more traditional four. Just my .02. And we absolutely need to get somebody to back up Kalk in the middle.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby mel ott » Sat May 01, 2021 8:40 am

Realhoops wrote:
Django wrote:Does he know he will have to play the 5 and defend Big East centers because he’s the only one of two players taller than 6’5 on our roster? Are we ever going to get a Big East center? Patton was the only one weve had in this conference yet ironically everyone complained about how he was too skinny. Bishop left because he had to play out of position so instead of getting a true Big East big are we really going to make this rail thin incoming frosh guard Seton Hall, UCONN and Georgetown’s front line?

Don’t know if you’ve heard, but we have a guy on the roster named Ryan Kalkbrenner. He will be a sophomore. It may be a risky prediction, but I think he will likely start against all those BIG EAST centers.

We also had a guy named Jacob Epperson who was a legitimate center. Unfortunately he suffered some injuries and now graduated.

Miller won’t be playing center because, unlike Bishop, he can shoot and handle the ball on the wing.

Oh - and both Bishop and Krampelj were used in ways that let them thrive way beyond anything either likely would have done if they had been used as a more traditional four. Just my .02. And we absolutely need to get somebody to back up Kalk in the middle.

+1 -idea- don't post stupid stuff early in the am, unless you want to get used by RealHoops later in the early am.
mel ott

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat May 01, 2021 8:58 am

Polyfro wrote:Here's another video with Mason and his trainer from earlier in the week. He's really putting in work to get ready:

Nice work. I'm not a huge fan of squats that aren't full range, but I think some programs use partials like this to add weight and pump up mass a bit. Believe it's more protective of the knees to do the full squats, though, so hopefully this is part of the program and not the only type of squats he's doing
Chicagojayfan

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat May 01, 2021 8:59 am

mel ott wrote:
Realhoops wrote:

+1 -idea- don't post stupid stuff early in the am, unless you want to get used by RealHoops later in the early am.

+1 as well. Perfectly stated RealHoops
Chicagojayfan

Postby bluejayfan00 » Sat May 01, 2021 10:11 am

Chicagojayfan wrote:
Polyfro wrote:Here's another video with Mason and his trainer from earlier in the week. He's really putting in work to get ready:

Nice work. I'm not a huge fan of squats that aren't full range, but I think some programs use partials like this to add weight and pump up mass a bit. Believe it's more protective of the knees to do the full squats, though, so hopefully this is part of the program and not the only type of squats he's doing

:roll: :roll: :roll:
*Sigh*

I'm glad that we have a resident personal trainer on BJU. I don't think Mason Miller, who is a D-1 athlete, and has a father who spent 15 years in the NBA would be doing anything that he or his trainer, who is right there in the video, wouldn't think is good for his body.
bluejayfan00

Postby Trifecta » Sat May 01, 2021 10:12 am

Pretty sure Mason's trainer knows better what type of lifting regiment is better for his personal circumstances than random message poster X.

I squat the same way as instructed by my trainer in the past. Though I concede I'm almost twice Mason's age though.
Trifecta

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat May 01, 2021 10:44 am

Trifecta wrote:Pretty sure Mason's trainer knows better what type of lifting regiment is better for his personal circumstances than random message poster X.

I squat the same way as instructed by my trainer in the past. Though I concede I'm almost twice Mason's age though.

My original quote was this "I think some programs use partials like this to add weight and pump up mass a bit" -- which is what I think is happening here.

The full squat/partial squat debate is well established in training circles (and medical research) these days. Partial squats can be useful with a specific purpose in mind and with good form, but have drawbacks as well from muscle imbalances, etc. Here is a pretty good list of the pros/cons

https://barbend.com/half-squat-vs-full/

As I mentioned in my original post, it can be useful for specific purposes, and I suspect they're trying to get Mason to deal with as much weight as possible sometimes (big stress on nervous system and forces muscles all over the body to react), so used in combination it's good, but people shouldn't take this as an example of a proper squat

And just because a trainer is recommending it, it doesn't mean that it's a good idea. Fitness trainers are often woefully uninformed about lifting technique and training.
Chicagojayfan

Postby bluejayfan00 » Sat May 01, 2021 11:22 am

Oh, FFS.

"Well, actually"

"Dear diary"

:lol:
bluejayfan00

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting