2021 F Mason Miller (Signed)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2021 F Mason Miller (Signed)

Postby bluejayfan00 » Sat May 01, 2021 11:23 am

Chicagojayfan wrote:
Trifecta wrote:Pretty sure Mason's trainer knows better what type of lifting regiment is better for his personal circumstances than random message poster X.

I squat the same way as instructed by my trainer in the past. Though I concede I'm almost twice Mason's age though.

My original quote was this "I think some programs use partials like this to add weight and pump up mass a bit" -- which is what I think is happening here.

The full squat/partial squat debate is well established in training circles (and medical research) these days. Partial squats can be useful with a specific purpose in mind and with good form, but have drawbacks as well from muscle imbalances, etc. Here is a pretty good list of the pros/cons

https://barbend.com/half-squat-vs-full/

As I mentioned in my original post, it can be useful for specific purposes, and I suspect they're trying to get Mason to deal with as much weight as possible sometimes (big stress on nervous system and forces muscles all over the body to react), so used in combination it's good, but people shouldn't take this as an example of a proper squat

And just because a trainer is recommending it, it doesn't mean that it's a good idea. Fitness trainers are often woefully uninformed about lifting technique and training.

Personally, I think you should reach out to Mason and offer to be his trainer. Guessing if he took your advice instead of his trainers he'd come in to CU in August at 6'9, 255 and SHREDDED. With a 47 inch vert.
bluejayfan00

Postby Chicagojayfan » Sat May 01, 2021 12:03 pm

shocked that people don't know this debate at all and why it's important.

Either way, Mason was my favorite recruit for most of the last recruiting cycle and since the very beginning. He's going to be great for us.
Chicagojayfan

Postby Django » Sat May 01, 2021 12:09 pm

I pray that Miller doesn’t play the 5, but tell me how many minutes Kalk will play and who will play the 5 when he’s not in there?
At Creighton Bob Gibson majored in sociology and starred in Basketball and Baseball. In 1957 Gibson received a $3,000 sign-on bonus with St. Louis Cardinals, but delayed his HOF Cards career a year to play pro B-ball with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Django

Postby REALITY » Sat May 01, 2021 12:44 pm

Django wrote:I pray that Miller doesn’t play the 5, but tell me how many minutes Kalk will play and who will play the 5 when he’s not in there?

Kalk will play 20-25 MPG, assuming he's a bit smarter about fouling.

We're still working on the backup 5, but we'll at least land someone, even if it's Kelvin Jones 2.0. I'm at least somewhat confident that we'll get a competent backup and not be in a position where we've got a Manny Suarez, who was an alright 3rd center that could chip in 10 MPG in non-con and even a few MPG in BE play when we had foul trouble, as the *primary* backup center that we need 10-20 MPG from in conference play, which was way over his head.
REALITY

Postby Trifecta » Sat May 01, 2021 12:48 pm

Chicagojayfan wrote:shocked that people don't know this debate at all and why it's important.

Either way, Mason was my favorite recruit for most of the last recruiting cycle and since the very beginning. He's going to be great for us.

Shocked that you assume most posters here, many us at least a decade(s) removed from college age , are super dialed in on the full squat vs. half squat debate. :lol: Weird flex, but good for you.

If Mason adopts full squat, do you project that his rebounds per 40 will skyrocket?
Trifecta

Postby vivid_dude » Sat May 01, 2021 1:15 pm

I do 4/9th squats for warmups and 9/13th squats to feel the burn. Any other squat regimen is for imbeciles and if you do not understand that, delete your account, boomer.
vivid_dude

Postby cu8493 » Sat May 01, 2021 1:39 pm

Why the vitriol today? So Cubby-land Jay wanted to share a little knowledge. I don’t get the need to attack. Life’s too short. Just saying. Besides, given that we have a pretty good physical therapy school and offer an exercise science degree program, I am guessing Bluejay nation has quite a few alum who are in fact very knowledgeable in the area.
Last edited by cu8493 on Sat May 01, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cu8493

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat May 01, 2021 1:39 pm

Our players, Mason included, are indeed fortunate to have the benefit of this mountain of expert advice...for free! Imagine the additional thousands$ they save by attending CU and receiving this excess tutelage from our esteemed fanbase.

Thanks to your advice, Mason & the rest of our guys will develop into basketball gods, on the court.

At my advanced age I'm lucky to cop a squat in the baño. God Bless Depends...
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby vivid_dude » Sat May 01, 2021 5:53 pm

All in good fun. CJF is one of the most valuable contributors on this board. Squat humor always works though.

I may have actually learned something, which pisses me off over a weekend.
vivid_dude

Postby Trifecta » Sat May 01, 2021 7:52 pm

vivid_dude wrote:All in good fun. CJF is one of the most valuable contributors on this board. Squat humor always works though.

I may have actually learned something, which pisses me off over a weekend.

Yup, just poking fun. No vitriol intended.
Trifecta

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting