2023 PG Josiah Dotzler, Bellevue West (Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Josiah Dotzler Belle West Soph.

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:51 am

Jayfan3535 wrote:Josiah is a very good player. He is not a natural point guard and does not see the floor the way chucky or his brother Josh did. He is more of a scorer/slasher. Decent shooter but not consistent enough to be considered a knockdown shooter yet. He plays extremely hard all the time which tends to him getting sped up (which is something chucky or Josh almost never let happen). MVC Creighton he is flat out sure offer….big east Jays he is probably not at that level unless the point guard skills improve dramatically.

To compare to Chucky is not fair because Chucky was a generational type of talent to grace the Nebraska high school basketball scene.

Thanks. Sooo Unless his shooting improves (as a SG) and/or his PG skills improve - he is not a CU level recruit. Got it.

Again, thanks.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby JacobPadilla » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:28 pm

He definitely gets tunnel vision at times and tries to do too much, but he's more of a point guard than Shereef was in high school. He'll play point at the next level wherever he ends up and be fine there. Decision-making and consistency with the jumper are definitely the areas where he can make the biggest strides to boost his stock.
JacobPadilla

Postby Jayfan3535 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:50 am

Seems as if Josiah he made some significant strides in both shooting consistency and floor game and may be getting a serious look from staff. I know they aren’t just throwing offers at whomever due to a numbers crunch but he may be close to forcing their hand.
Jayfan3535

Postby JacobPadilla » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:10 pm

Jayfan3535 wrote:Seems as if Josiah he made some significant strides in both shooting consistency and floor game and may be getting a serious look from staff. I know they aren’t just throwing offers at whomever due to a numbers crunch but he may be close to forcing their hand.

He played really well at their team camp over the weekend, but I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. What makes it even tougher is they really don't need that position in this class.
JacobPadilla

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:33 pm

One never knows what may happen. Jays have a great year: Reef graduates, R2 tests the pro waters, Rati to Euro Pro...all that's left is Devin, Trey, Ben, & JC. Jays have several 2023 offers to PGs (8), SGs (3), CGs (2) according to 247 Jays tally.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby jon4thejays » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:47 pm

Mac has recruited more than one HS point and turned them into an off guard. Is Dotzler big enough and good enough scorer/defender to move off the ball and still contribute in the Big East?
We loose nobody to eligibility but could loose 3 to the draft, unfortunately all 3 are 6’-6” are or taller (Baylor, Kalk and Art ) still not a position of need for the Jays.
I love seeing local kids play and contribute for the jays, but this looks like bad timing for a good fit.
jon4thejays

Postby LJay » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:15 pm

89 - 60
LJay

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:03 pm

Thanks LJay, great article and read. I hope we find/make a spot for Dotzler. Great to hear he's ballin' out
so far this summer. I'm not fond of prep schools, but if that gets him here...okay. I can live with him doing an RS
much easier than a prep year.

If we pass then i would hope Darian gets him at DU.
gtmoBlue

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:17 am

jon4thejays wrote:Mac has recruited more than one HS point and turned them into an off guard. Is Dotzler big enough and good enough scorer/defender to move off the ball and still contribute in the Big East?
We loose nobody to eligibility but could loose 3 to the draft, unfortunately all 3 are 6’-6” are or taller (Baylor, Kalk and Art ) still not a position of need for the Jays.
I love seeing local kids play and contribute for the jays, but this looks like bad timing for a good fit.

I think a lot of PG's in HS are just the best player on the court, so coaches turn them into the PG so they handle the ball the most.. because the coach trusts them to make good decisions and score when other things aren't working.

To me Dotzler looks like a PG or at least a combo guard. The idea of the Prep school for a year or the RS makes sense, especially with Mitchell likely to get a year back from last year. He looks to have 2 years of eligibility left, so pushing back Dotzler's eligibility a year might work really well.

And Mitchell's a pretty good example of how we can use a HS PG. Dotzler may not be the defensive stopper that MItchell is, but he looks to be a better shooter and we've run 2 PGs onto the court at the same time before.

Also like Gtmo's thoughts on the RS versus the prep school, and it works better for Dotzler as he gets to start school and working toward his degree early as well.
Chicagojayfan

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:10 pm

I'll be very curious to see how this plays out. Josiah needs a good July, but the truth is he didn't really play very much for MOKAN in the spring. They're loaded at guard including a 4-star kid in Trey Green. He may have a tough time showing the coaches who like him what they need to see to pull the trigger with an offer if the situation doesn't change.

But he was really good for Bellevue West in June whenever I watched them, especially after a week or so to get his rhythm back (short thread below).

JacobPadilla

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting