Long term recruiting ramifications of Mac's comments

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Long term recruiting ramifications of Mac's comments

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:36 pm

one other aspect to consider in the recruiting vein.

Success breeds success. The performance of the 2020 and 2021 classes will profoundly impact our recruiting in
2022, 2023 and beyond. These classes are CU's best classes ever. Their successes will have more influence and impact on
those upcoming classes than any other aspect of Creighton's program. Yes, our coaches, facilities, culture, style
of play all factor in, but the level of play, the force of being a winning program, and the "let it Fly" they see on
TV in the process of maintaining a Top 10-15 program, are overwhelming aspects of positive recruitment.

#RollDamnJays
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby PHXJayFan » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:14 pm

But say next year we see a drop off? Which isn’t a huge shock if that happens considering what we’re losing. Miss the tourney next year, and we still struggle to recruit? What happens then?
PHXJayFan

Postby REALITY » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:03 pm

PHXJayFan wrote:But say next year we see a drop off? Which isn’t a huge shock if that happens considering what we’re losing. Miss the tourney next year, and we still struggle to recruit? What happens then?

They don't have an answer. Many still can't imagine that Mac won't keep recruiting as well as he has been.

I'll give you an answer, though, all sorts of trouble and a program that's stuck at the bottom of the league.
REALITY

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:18 pm

Okay, okay...yes, I was incorrect in saying no effect on recruiting. My bad.

Tyty has reconsidered his recruitment. However, given his play these last few months, that is not unexpected.
Direct pressure, constricting band, even a tourniquet, whatever it takes to stop the bleeding.
Work like hell to retain the rest of the class.

The quote below still stands. Winning cures all ails.

gtmoBlue wrote:one other aspect to consider in the recruiting vein.

Success breeds success. The performance of the 2020 and 2021 classes will profoundly impact our recruiting in
2022, 2023 and beyond. These classes are CU's best classes ever. Their successes will have more influence and impact on
those upcoming classes than any other aspect of Creighton's program. Yes, our coaches, facilities, culture, style
of play all factor in, but the level of play, the force of being a winning program, and the "let it Fly" they see on
TV in the process of maintaining a Top 10-15 program, are overwhelming aspects of positive recruitment.

#RollDamnJays
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby section221jay » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:37 pm

REALITY wrote:
PHXJayFan wrote:But say next year we see a drop off? Which isn’t a huge shock if that happens considering what we’re losing. Miss the tourney next year, and we still struggle to recruit? What happens then?

They don't have an answer. Many still can't imagine that Mac won't keep recruiting as well as he has been.

I'll give you an answer, though, all sorts of trouble and a program that's stuck at the bottom of the league.

The best case scenario is that the damage is limited to Washington and that Mac is not crippled going forward.

Those that think "well, Washington decommitted and therefore Mac will never be able to recruit another black kid...fire him" are delusional.

1. CU is not a powerhouse as far as head coaches are concerned...in other words they aren't just going to go hire a can't miss guy. Not happening. Period.

2. "Just hire D-Rock". CU will almost certainly have to hire a black coach. That means cutting the potential pool of candidates by 70-90%.

The fastest way to DePaul status is to be in a position where CU has to hire a coach. We've been lucky with Altman and then Mac. The odds are WAY greater that we get another Rick Johnson the next time around as opposed to another Altman/Mac.

Ideally, Washington is the only recruit that bails and CU is smart enough to try to weather the storm with Mac. This isn't a plug and play program.
section221jay

Postby mel ott » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:55 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Okay, okay...yes, I was incorrect in saying no effect on recruiting. My bad.

Tyty has reconsidered his recruitment. However, given his play these last few months, that is not unexpected.
Direct pressure, constricting band, even a tourniquet, whatever it takes to stop the bleeding.
Work like hell to retain the rest of the class.

The quote below still stands. Winning cures all ails.

gtmoBlue wrote:one other aspect to consider in the recruiting vein.

#RollDamnJays

GTMO - I've appreciated your input on this situation and what the future holds. I believe in what your are saying - and it's not drinking the blue cool aid. Donny Marshal said it as well- time and winning helps. More importantly, it was a big first step tonight- the focus on the starters from the beginning to the end with the walk-ons and the starters cheering was "joyful" as Lavin mentioned in the post game. Mac's post games remarks were good as well. Not phony.
mel ott

Postby CUGrads03 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:39 pm

mel ott wrote: GTMO - I've appreciated your input on this situation and what the future holds. I believe in what your are saying - and it's not drinking the blue cool aid. Donny Marshal said it as well- time and winning helps. More importantly, it was a big first step tonight- the focus on the starters from the beginning to the end with the walk-ons and the starters cheering was "joyful" as Lavin mentioned in the post game. Mac's post games remarks were good as well. Not phony.

Mel, not that it means anything, but I agree here. Great comments by Gus and Raf earlier this week, solid comments by Mac today, and nice praise by Donny and Steve as well. Kinda feels like those closest to the team and close to basketball and Mac’s history, are addressing things and offering to move forward with a watchful eye but a forgiving heart. More so than what can be said “here at home” which, in the national eye, may be even more important from strictly a “basketball/recruiting success” perspective.

More to be seen on what changes/actions are taken on the home front that can spur real and impactful conversations and change... that can be used to build trust and repair relationships and opinions. But on a pure basketball front, there were a lot of encouraging comments tonight.
Colors True...
CUGrads03

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:57 pm

I wonder if we offer Saint Thomas out of Millard North now (assuming he still considers CU his dream school).
SonofFrankTomera

Postby section202jay » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:26 am

section221jay wrote:
2. "Just hire D-Rock". CU will almost certainly have to hire a black coach. That means cutting the potential pool of candidates by 70-90%.

Oof, no. This is just not correct. They will not have to. Now, if Kelvin Sampson wants to come here, great. But I don't see them only seeking Black coaches if Mac departs within the next year or two.
section202jay

Postby Venturajay » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:58 pm

Us that are older like myself, can take a step back and rationalize and reflect most of the times, more then an 18 year old kid in my opinion.

I know that when I was 18 I did not have that ability to think critically and look at all angles, I rushed to quick judgement without looking at all sides.

Hence, regardless of how contrite Mac is most kids in the 18 year old range have already formed their opinion of Mac after his racist remark and probably are not going to change that opinion.

Recruiting will be an issue for Mac going forward, I don't see how it could not be. Time will tell if he is still our coach after this year.

My two cents worth.
Venturajay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting