Long term recruiting ramifications of Mac's comments

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Long term recruiting ramifications of Mac's comments

Postby jon4thejays » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:12 pm

M Z has Mac’s back, look at the interview at the bottom.

https://gocreighton.com/news/2021/3/11/ ... utler.aspx
jon4thejays

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed May 26, 2021 1:19 pm

Venturajay wrote:Us that are older like myself, can take a step back and rationalize and reflect most of the times, more then an 18 year old kid in my opinion.

I know that when I was 18 I did not have that ability to think critically and look at all angles, I rushed to quick judgement without looking at all sides.

Hence, regardless of how contrite Mac is most kids in the 18 year old range have already formed their opinion of Mac after his racist remark and probably are not going to change that opinion.

Recruiting will be an issue for Mac going forward, I don't see how it could not be. Time will tell if he is still our coach after this year.

My two cents worth.

REALITY wrote:
oldbluebeard wrote:Each year there are usually no more than 4 classes + redshirts at games. After each win or loss Coach Mac says something to the team. Obviously Mac doesn't want to say the same thing each time in a 5 year period as he is trying to inspire the guys (am I racist if I say Boys?) especially after a loss. Someone somewhere probably has a few recordings of his after game talks. How about checking some of them out b4 you/we throw him under the Bus? Yes, he misspoke without thinking. Who hasn't??

I have been going to Anthony's luncheons since Mac came to Omaha. He has his arms around guys, he kids them & they kid back. I have seen or heard nothing which would ever imply racism. I suspect if so we would have heard about it. He Loves his job & team from everything I have seen or heard. I have been a long time 40+ years Jays season ticket holder and I love him as a coach. I feel this can be worked thru & I hope he will keep his job & don't think it will have much of a long term affect on recruits. Yes it may have some.

Someone asked me why the players haven't spoken out for Mac. I said look at todays world, if you're white & support him you may be considered racist & if you're black & support him you just don't care, so you say nothing as gee lets not offend anyone & be considered politically incorrect.

Very few of us are crucifying him for what happened. He misspoke, awfully, of course, and that happens to everyone. I don't think anyone really believes he's racist, in fact, the evidence speaks to the contrary.

No, the issue is what will happen with recruiting long term and how effective he can be leading the program as a result. I believe you're gravely underestimating how badly recruits are going to see this. I think Mac could definitely give an honest explanation that might satisfy recruits, BUT how many will be willing to open the door for him to do that in the first place? There's a complete lack of understanding of just how dark the world can be for young African American men - a fear of encounters with police even if the person is just going on with their day-to-day business, challenges getting work compared to white counterparts with equal qualifications, institutions that are inherently unfriendly to them, etc. and, of course, just plain racism. So if you're a recruit and you've heard that Mac said something racist (remember, this is what pretty much all media outlets are saying), would you pick up the phone in the first place to have a conversation? And let's be clear, them not opening their doors is not on those recruits, it's on Mac for saying what he did on Saturday.

Now, there are relationships that already exist with AAU coaches that should help to a degree, but still, I wonder how many of those coaches will pick up the phone as well. Some, likely those with the longest relationships, will. Others probably won't.

This is why I believe our recruiting will suffer to the point where we're lucky to get MVC to AAC type players if Mac remains.

Mac has secured the #7 Class/247 in the country (post-misspoke) and could climb to #5. Either way this is the top CU class in the modern era(since 2002 and recruiting svcs beginning to rank players).

Crow eating is in order Reality & Ventura...

Based on 2020, & now 2021, it appears that Jays recruiting is on the rise. Now granted we will only have 2 spots for 2022, so I don't expect a Top 10 class next cycle. However, we should p/u a couple of great kids in '22 also.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby jays911 » Wed May 26, 2021 4:38 pm

+1, GTMO.
So long Valley, hello big time.
jays911

Postby JayDO » Wed May 26, 2021 8:13 pm

Is it possible to NOW include the P word in the same context as the other bad word and STOP having this tired re-tread conversation about something that obviously is done and over.
JayDO

Postby jon4thejays » Wed May 26, 2021 8:37 pm

JayDO wrote:Is it possible to NOW include the P word in the same context as the other bad word and STOP having this tired re-tread conversation about something that obviously is done and over.

We can’t say providence any more?
jon4thejays

Postby REALITY » Wed May 26, 2021 9:27 pm

Once again, I was wrong and I'm quite happy to have been proven wrong.
REALITY

Postby drbluejay » Thu May 27, 2021 8:26 am

It is time to end this thread. Long term recruiting has never looked better.
drbluejay

Postby Venturajay » Sat May 29, 2021 7:10 am

I am happy to eat crow, once again I was wrong, and it proves that I know nothing. Go JAY!!!
Venturajay

Postby HandDownManDown » Sat May 29, 2021 3:09 pm

jon4thejays wrote:
JayDO wrote:Is it possible to NOW include the P word in the same context as the other bad word and STOP having this tired re-tread conversation about something that obviously is done and over.

We can’t say providence any more?

Hasn’t that always been the rule?
HandDownManDown

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat May 29, 2021 4:59 pm

Yes. That is correct.

Now, if we can just get the choir to stop singing the praises/using the C-word also (Cooley).
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting