Transfers - 2021

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: Transfers - 2021

Postby TXJaysFan » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:01 am

Oldfan wrote:I totally disagree. What is stopping a major Creighton donor (or group of donors) from giving a recruit way more NIL $ than they would otherwise receive in order to overcome the fact Creighton doesn’t have a scholly to offer said player? Seems like a very possible scenario, if there are donors willing to pony up the cash

Again, that's overthinking it. I'm not saying it is impossible. I'm sure it will happen at some point across the country. I just don't think it is going to be some rampant game changer. I mean if Creighton's donors are willing to pony up, don't you think the same would be true for the other schools as well? Schools that might still have a scholarship available.

It just seems a lot of stars have to align (no scholarships, good player being added late, competition that can't afford bigger donations, school being the best fit, etc.) for it to happen. Creighton has had an empty scholarship for much of the past five years. So it is a stretch to me to think that now we are going to be in some weird scenario where players are dying to come to CU but the only way it can happen is if we pay them to walk on.

The more likely scenario to me is that NIL will have a big impact as top players choose schools - they just won't walk on because it won't be an issue.
TXJaysFan

Postby Oldfan » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:55 pm

Oh, I agree with you that it likely will happen everywhere. I agree with the previous poster who said the NIL rules could essentially end scholarship limits for schools with big donor $ resources.
Oldfan

Postby LJay » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:07 pm

The difference between have’s and have nots may get ridiculously large. Big Donor: “Son, how would you like to be the Internet Spokesman for my company, say $75,000 per year?” Player: “Yes, sir, I’m your Huckleberry.”

Now, I have done no NIL study at all so they may be imposing some restrictions but the cursory information I have seen leads me to believe this may be the wild, wild, west.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby LJay » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:45 pm

89 - 60
LJay

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:17 pm

LJay wrote:

Do we have any real chance here?
SonofFrankTomera

Postby Taco Bell » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:56 pm

SonofFrankTomera wrote:
LJay wrote:

Do we have any real chance here?

Sounds like Oklahoma State
Taco Bell

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:07 am

And Oklahoma St. it is.
SonofFrankTomera

Postby Ethanfor3 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:36 am

Would have been nice, but....

The interesting thing is that we are being mentioned far more frequently with big name transfers, recruits, etc.

Seems like an indication that our profile as a power program is definitely gaining momentum and is really strong right now. It seems "cool" for potential recruits to mention us as someone that's interested in their services.

Feels good to be considered whether we win or not...and we're definitely winning more than our share.
Ethanfor3

Postby HandDownManDown » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:39 am

People are going to go where they can get paid to play. It’s going to need to be both.

That said, all it takes is someone to pony up a mill a year for whatever made up BS they want to call the task the player is nominally being paid to perform and you can buy yourself whatever you want.

At some point you can’t buy everyone because there’s not enough PT but as Kentucky has shown, guys are willing to play 12 min a game as a 5 star if the ‘situation’ is right.

All that’s changed is the ‘situation’ now involves direct payments.

LJay is right, the programs with a Phil Knight or a T Boone Pickens will now rule the roost.
HandDownManDown

Postby Angry Dan » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:29 pm

HandDownManDown wrote:People are going to go where they can get paid to play. It’s going to need to be both.

That said, all it takes is someone to pony up a mill a year for whatever made up BS they want to call the task the player is nominally being paid to perform and you can buy yourself whatever you want.

At some point you can’t buy everyone because there’s not enough PT but as Kentucky has shown, guys are willing to play 12 min a game as a 5 star if the ‘situation’ is right.

All that’s changed is the ‘situation’ now involves direct payments.

LJay is right, the programs with a Phil Knight or a T Boone Pickens will now rule the roost.

Watch Oregon and Oklahoma State with Phil and T Boone going forward.
Angry Dan

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting