2021 W Johnathan Lawson (Transfer Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2021 W Johnathan Lawson (Offered, Memphis Commit)

Postby REALITY » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:52 pm

hilltopalum wrote:again, patience... Jays will be okay

It is not fair to assume anything 'fishy' happened here. Johnathan and the Lawson family are synonymous with basketball in Memphis. The chance to play with his brother, in his home town, for a squad that looks poised to breakout in 21/22, for a coach who is a local legend and made lots of money playing a similar style makes total sense. As far as I've heard Jays made it a tough decision for Johnathan.

Not to be snide, but the same has been said multiple times after we've struck out on a player in the transfer market recently. We've ultimately settled for Manny Suarez, landed Connor Cashaw who clearly wasn't BE level, got Antwann Jones and AoC who so far haven't panned out, and with pretty much all of those teams still had a scholarship left to give out. All of this BEFORE Mac said what he did in February.
So you'll have to forgive my skepticism.
Last edited by REALITY on Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REALITY

Re: 2021 W Johnathan Lawson (Offered)

Postby Alphawalt » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:00 pm

Sounds like playing with brother who we weren't interested in. Plus they are from Memphis and it's Penny, probably too much to overcome....[/quote]

A couple of days ago, I wrote on another thread:

Lawson has likely Memphis commit written all over him, seems like that was reason he decommitted from Oregon. I would be shocked if we inquired or had any chance even if we inquired.

Looks like I was spot on a couple of days ago, with my added comment later of “He was quoted as saying Memphis recruited him late and hard, after he had pretty much made up his mind about Oregon because his brother was at Oregon. Now that his brother has left Oregon, if I am a betting man, I would bet Penny Hardaway gets him. Hopefully, he won’t choose DePaul, as Stubblefield was the recruiter that got him committed at Oregon. Creighton was not even on his list of schools last year”.

It might be I knew what I was talking about and it was clear as day if only you looked at the situation objectively like I did[/quote]

You literally said we didn’t have a chance. People with sources are saying we just about had him.[/quote]

You are smoking some really good shit if you think we had a chance on an offer made one day and rejected the next, I would call that not objectively looking at it.
Alphawalt

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:13 pm

REALITY wrote:

It is not fair to assume anything 'fishy' happened here. Johnathan and the Lawson family are synonymous with basketball in Memphis. The chance to play with his brother, in his home town, for a squad that looks poised to breakout in 21/22, for a coach who is a local legend and made lots of money playing a similar style makes total sense. As far as I've heard Jays made it a tough decision for Johnathan.

Not to be snide, but the same has been said multiple times after we've struck out on a player in the transfer market recently. We've ultimately settled for Manny Suarez, landed Connor Cashaw who clearly wasn't BE level, got Antwann Jones and AoC who so far haven't panned out, and with pretty much all of those teams still had a scholarship left to give out. All of this BEFORE Mac said what he did in February.

That is some serious cherry-picking you are doing with the transfers...
Mo Watson committed to CU on 4-13-14
Cole Huff committed to CU on 5-14-14
Marcus Foster committed to CU on 4-19-15
Kaleb Joseph on 4-11-16
Damien Jefferson committed on 6-19-17
Denzel Mahoney committed on 5-18-18

The idea that we "struck out" on the transfer market recently when we had 2 starters on this team year's team is...actually, not even sure what i would call that but you've got blinders on are just not paying attention. I am pretty sure a clone of any one of those players would help our team in 2021-22.
Savannah Jay

Postby Ethanfor3 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:19 pm

REALITY wrote:
TrueBlueJay wrote:
bluejayfan00 wrote:He just reposted a pro Creighton account on his Instagram. I don’t want to jinx it, but at this point, it almost seems obvious he’s coming here.

What a wild off-season. Looked extremely bleak a few days ago and now we’re on the verge on getting a 4 star this late in the game? Thank you Miller family

Seems pretty much like every off season to me. This board is so bi-polar. Watching some of you go up and down like yo-yos is pretty entertaining each year gets old but has its entertainment value as well.

Go Jays!

Perhaps that's because our recruiting tends to give some of us ulcers? We tend to pursue our top guys, generally top 50 4 star prospects, the hardest. We may chase some lower ranked guys, top 150 guys or unranked 3 star players, but not nearly as hard and they commit to other places first because we wait for the higher regarded prospects. Those high ranked kids unsurprisingly have a ton of competition. When we land guys like Mitch, TSA, Jacob, and Mason it's obviously fantastic, but when we miss we have holes on our roster (no true 4 for how many years?) or have to bring in a grad transfer to patch the gap (with unsatisfying results, with the exception of Kelvin).

As humans we tend to agonize more on the losses and discount the victories.

Despite "holes" on the roster, we've had the following finishes in the big east:

20/21 2nd
19/20 Tied for 1st
18/19 tied for 3rd
17/18 tied for 3rd

Despite Mac's comments, he's earned the benefit of the doubt to at least see what he can craft in this offseason. It won't take that much to fill the holes...we ultimately need a decent stretch 4 and another Big guy. Outside of that, there's plenty of talent...it's young, but Mac knows what we have as of today.

I get that we want to hit on as many of the top guys as we can, but when we chase guys capable of getting us to the sweet 16 and someday beyond, you have to chase Top 100 guys generally. When you do that, you're going to miss on more guys than you hit. Especially when we're talking about names that we "hear" about without context of which players the coaches are really chasing hardest.

I'm quite frankly surprised and pleased with where we've been the past 4 years and if it weren't for untimely injuries, I would contend that we'd likely have had even more success. I want more, we all do, but as of right now we have:

2 Top 100 guys and 1 guy that I think will be a very good player for us that seems really underrated.

We'll get more, I guarantee that Mac knows where the holes exist and will likely get something that works for this roster.
Ethanfor3

Postby Jet915 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:31 pm

REALITY wrote:

and we got our first Sweet 16 ever.....Mac deserves some time to rebuild this roster.
Jet915

Postby LJay » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:37 pm

From a presser with the two Lawson kids:

89 - 60
LJay

Postby REALITY » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:39 pm

Jet915 wrote:
REALITY wrote:

and we got our first Sweet 16 ever.....Mac deserves some time to rebuild this roster.

Did I say he didn't? I've been on the record saying the Sweet 16 should buy him some time.
REALITY

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:31 pm

Jet915 wrote:
REALITY wrote:

Let's not open that can of worms. Let's just savor the 1st SS since 1974.

(Not gonna get into only 22-9 overall, losing rs championship game to Nova, losing BET championship game to Gtwn, etc.)
Let's just leave well enough alone. We made a SS in the NCAAs.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Re: 2021 W Johnathan Lawson (Offered)

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:56 pm

Alphawalt wrote:Sounds like playing with brother who we weren't interested in. Plus they are from Memphis and it's Penny, probably too much to overcome....

A couple of days ago, I wrote on another thread:

Lawson has likely Memphis commit written all over him, seems like that was reason he decommitted from Oregon. I would be shocked if we inquired or had any chance even if we inquired.

Looks like I was spot on a couple of days ago, with my added comment later of “He was quoted as saying Memphis recruited him late and hard, after he had pretty much made up his mind about Oregon because his brother was at Oregon. Now that his brother has left Oregon, if I am a betting man, I would bet Penny Hardaway gets him. Hopefully, he won’t choose DePaul, as Stubblefield was the recruiter that got him committed at Oregon. Creighton was not even on his list of schools last year”.

It might be I knew what I was talking about and it was clear as day if only you looked at the situation objectively like I did[/quote]

You literally said we didn’t have a chance. People with sources are saying we just about had him.[/quote]

You are smoking some really good shit if you think we had a chance on an offer made one day and rejected the next, I would call that not objectively looking at it.[/quote]

It sounds like he probably would have picked Creighton if Memphis hadn't offered his brother as well. Claim whatever you want, but all indications I've seen are that the interest between CU and Johnathan Lawson was real on both sides; that just wasn't the case for Chandler as well.
JacobPadilla

Postby LJay » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:57 pm

Reactivate the thread. The Houston HS pipeline?

89 - 60
LJay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting