2021 W Johnathan Lawson (Transfer Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2021 W Johnathan Lawson (Offered, Memphis Commit)

Postby Syajeulb » Mon May 01, 2023 3:32 pm

Realhoops wrote:
Syajeulb wrote:
Realhoops wrote:It will be interesting to see how scholarship numbers and NIL/collective money work out together — theoretically there are no scholarship limits anymore because you could just use NIl and collective to cover all expenses without using a scholarship.

Theoretically, yes. But you would put yourself at a competitive disadvantage unless all other comparable schools also stopped handing out scholarships. Essentially you would have to offer equivalent NIL to match or exceed competitor school's scholarship + NIL money. (This is setting aside all of the non-financial reasons that factor into choice of school: coach, playing time, role, etc. etc.).

Sure -- but it's totally possible that you might be able to sell someone on it and pull it off here and there.

With basketball, there isn't enough playing time to be able to carry really huge rosters or anything. But if you had one more person you wanted to bring in than you had available scholarships, and you could structure a way to cover the equivalent of that one scholarship without using an actual scholarship and then offer NIL money at a normal rate, you could exceed the scholarship limit. And that wouldn't seem like a huge competitive disadvantage, etc.

Yeah, I could see that.
Syajeulb

Postby SeattleJay » Mon May 01, 2023 6:56 pm

Any news on Jonathan’s visit?
SeattleJay

Postby SoDakJay » Tue May 02, 2023 8:15 am

heard from a reliable source that he is a jays lock after visiting yesterday.
SoDakJay

Postby Helmzy » Tue May 02, 2023 9:58 am

Very underrated get. This one stings the most for Memphis and Penny was not happy. I'd expect him to be the 6th man by the end of the year next season and probably much much sooner than that.
Helmzy

Postby Chicagojayfan » Tue May 02, 2023 10:39 am

Helmzy wrote:Very underrated get. This one stings the most for Memphis and Penny was not happy. I'd expect him to be the 6th man by the end of the year next season and probably much much sooner than that.

Really like Lawson and liked him a lot coming out of HS as well. Fits what we want in many, many ways - really good shooter, shares the ball and is a very good passer and can handle as well. He would seem a natural as the 6th man next year (I'm kind of assuming Traudt/Miller share time at the 4)
Chicagojayfan

Postby Jet915 » Tue May 02, 2023 11:27 am

Why do I get the feeling Mac will sub Farabello in before Lawson.....hopefully that will change as the season goes along.
Jet915

Postby bleedblue » Tue May 02, 2023 11:38 am

Hopefully he pans out better than our last transfer from Memphis
bleedblue

Postby TrueBlueJay » Tue May 02, 2023 12:08 pm

Jet915 wrote:Why do I get the feeling Mac will sub Farabello in before Lawson.....hopefully that will change as the season goes along.

What if Bello is the better choice?
TrueBlueJay

Postby Jaysker12 » Tue May 02, 2023 12:08 pm

The commentary on their board is interesting. He was recruited over, he can't defend, he is going to be a great player at his next destination. Some saying his transfer blindsided the Memphis staff. Looks like his dad got into it with a fan on Twitter..

https://247sports.com/college/memphis/b ... 31/?page=1

For anyone interested.
Jaysker12

Postby Trifecta » Tue May 02, 2023 12:49 pm

Jet915 wrote:Why do I get the feeling Mac will sub Farabello in before Lawson.....hopefully that will change as the season goes along.

Because that will absolutely happen and your eyes have seen years of anecdotal evidence to support this. At least to start the season at the very least.
Trifecta

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting