2021 W Johnathan Lawson (Transfer Commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2021 W Johnathan Lawson (Offered, Memphis Commit)

Postby #RollJays » Mon May 01, 2023 10:00 am

PAJay wrote:
#RollJays wrote:1. Dotzler
2. Traudt
3. Bello
4. Baylor
5. Green
6. Ashworth
7. King
8. Miller
9. Kalk
10. Trey
11. Art
12. Knox
13. “Open”

Hmmm . . . 12 + 2 visitors today does not equal 13

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the numbers.
#RollJays

Postby JayPacker » Mon May 01, 2023 10:03 am

PAJay wrote:
2. Traudt
3. Bello
4. Baylor
5. Green
6. Ashworth
7. King
8. Miller
9. Kalk
10. Trey
11. Art
12. Knox
13. “Open”

Fairly certain Greg is operating under the assumption Art will not return. We can also rework scholly's p easily with NIL packages as well. Wasn't Mason technically considered a walk-on year 1 so we could open up an extra scholly?
JayPacker

Postby Chicagojayfan » Mon May 01, 2023 10:06 am

PAJay wrote:
2. Traudt
3. Bello
4. Baylor
5. Green
6. Ashworth
7. King
8. Miller
9. Kalk
10. Trey
11. Art
12. Knox
13. “Open”

I'm guessing the coaches have a good idea of what the players are thinking going into the evaluation period. If I had to guess, we take Lawson for sure, and Vice is dependent upon someone deciding to go pro.. but no inside info on my part

I loved Lawson as a recruit back in HS and think he'd be a great fit for next year's roster (and the years after), and I like Vice more than the services do as well - and he played really well in the Adidas Gold games a week ago or so
Chicagojayfan

Postby bluejayfan00 » Mon May 01, 2023 10:07 am

There's probably about a 10% chance Art returns. I think that's a pretty poorly kept secret
bluejayfan00

Postby #RollJays » Mon May 01, 2023 10:16 am

The 10% is up from 5% though...
#RollJays

Postby Syajeulb » Mon May 01, 2023 10:55 am

JayPacker wrote:
PAJay wrote:
2. Traudt
3. Bello
4. Baylor
5. Green
6. Ashworth
7. King
8. Miller
9. Kalk
10. Trey
11. Art
12. Knox
13. “Open”

Fairly certain Greg is operating under the assumption Art will not return. We can also rework scholly's p easily with NIL packages as well. Wasn't Mason technically considered a walk-on year 1 so we could open up an extra scholly?

Mason was not a walk-on. There was speculation about that when he signed, because that was before Rati announced he was leaving so we temporarily had one more scholarship player on the roster than we had actual scholarships.
Syajeulb

Postby Realhoops » Mon May 01, 2023 1:10 pm

It will be interesting to see how scholarship numbers and NIL/collective money work out together — theoretically there are no scholarship limits anymore because you could just use NIl and collective to cover all expenses without using a scholarship.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby Syajeulb » Mon May 01, 2023 1:35 pm

Realhoops wrote:It will be interesting to see how scholarship numbers and NIL/collective money work out together — theoretically there are no scholarship limits anymore because you could just use NIl and collective to cover all expenses without using a scholarship.

Theoretically, yes. But you would put yourself at a competitive disadvantage unless all other comparable schools also stopped handing out scholarships. Essentially you would have to offer equivalent NIL to match or exceed competitor school's scholarship + NIL money. (This is setting aside all of the non-financial reasons that factor into choice of school: coach, playing time, role, etc. etc.).
Syajeulb

Postby Realhoops » Mon May 01, 2023 2:05 pm

Syajeulb wrote:
Realhoops wrote:It will be interesting to see how scholarship numbers and NIL/collective money work out together — theoretically there are no scholarship limits anymore because you could just use NIl and collective to cover all expenses without using a scholarship.

Theoretically, yes. But you would put yourself at a competitive disadvantage unless all other comparable schools also stopped handing out scholarships. Essentially you would have to offer equivalent NIL to match or exceed competitor school's scholarship + NIL money. (This is setting aside all of the non-financial reasons that factor into choice of school: coach, playing time, role, etc. etc.).

Sure -- but it's totally possible that you might be able to sell someone on it and pull it off here and there.

With basketball, there isn't enough playing time to be able to carry really huge rosters or anything. But if you had one more person you wanted to bring in than you had available scholarships, and you could structure a way to cover the equivalent of that one scholarship without using an actual scholarship and then offer NIL money at a normal rate, you could exceed the scholarship limit. And that wouldn't seem like a huge competitive disadvantage, etc.
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby #RollJays » Mon May 01, 2023 2:59 pm

Realhoops wrote:
Syajeulb wrote:

Sure -- but it's totally possible that you might be able to sell someone on it and pull it off here and there.

With basketball, there isn't enough playing time to be able to carry really huge rosters or anything. But if you had one more person you wanted to bring in than you had available scholarships, and you could structure a way to cover the equivalent of that one scholarship without using an actual scholarship and then offer NIL money at a normal rate, you could exceed the scholarship limit. And that wouldn't seem like a huge competitive disadvantage, etc.

I think if it Art wants to come back we would figure out the numbers.
#RollJays

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting