2022 G/F Kimani Hamilton (Offer)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2022 G/F Kimani Hamilton (Offer)

Postby JacobPadilla » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:45 pm

Jays fan wrote:
LJay wrote:Ah ha, I think you’re right. That leaves options and, with inevitable transfers, who knows where things will be in 12 months.

One last thought. Shereef Mitchel is starting his junior year ( Creighton website lists him as a sophomore). In 2022 he will be a senior. In 2023 he can play his extra “covid” year. That would make another scholarship available because your extra year does not count against the scholarship limit?

I'm not positive on this, but I don't think super seniors will be free every year like they were this year. The reasoning for that rule is coaches would have had to make tough decisions since they already had a lot of their 2021 recruits locked in and would have had to drop recruits or told seniors they couldn't come back. Coaches will have had more time to sort out their roster management situation starting next year and moving forward.
JacobPadilla

Postby Realhoops » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:35 pm

JacobPadilla wrote:
Jays fan wrote:
LJay wrote:Ah ha, I think you’re right. That leaves options and, with inevitable transfers, who knows where things will be in 12 months.

One last thought. Shereef Mitchel is starting his junior year ( Creighton website lists him as a sophomore). In 2022 he will be a senior. In 2023 he can play his extra “covid” year. That would make another scholarship available because your extra year does not count against the scholarship limit?

I'm not positive on this, but I don't think super seniors will be free every year like they were this year. The reasoning for that rule is coaches would have had to make tough decisions since they already had a lot of their 2021 recruits locked in and would have had to drop recruits or told seniors they couldn't come back. Coaches will have had more time to sort out their roster management situation starting next year and moving forward.

I thought the basic idea was that that year simply didn't count at all -- so people who did play but didn't get more than a handful of games, etc., didn't have to apply and be evaluated for some kind of waiver, etc. I thought they basically just wiped the slate clean for every player for that year. Is that not what they did?
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby jln » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:52 pm

Realhoops wrote:
JacobPadilla wrote:
Jays fan wrote:

I thought the basic idea was that that year simply didn't count at all -- so people who did play but didn't get more than a handful of games, etc., didn't have to apply and be evaluated for some kind of waiver, etc. I thought they basically just wiped the slate clean for every player for that year. Is that not what they did?

Jacob can correct me if I'm misstating what he meant (because I think my understanding is the same as his). I think what you are saying is true, but I believe what Jacob is saying is I don't think the programs get extra scholarships for guys who use an extra year after this year.
jln

Postby Realhoops » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:28 pm

Ah. That makes sense.

From the student athlete's perspective, that year doesn't count against their eligibility.

From the school's perspective, LAST YEAR those students who should have graduated but came back didn't count against scholarship numbers, but going forward that won't be true.

So the student athlete gets that "extra" year but now counts against the scholarship limit.

Thanks for pointing out what clearly went over my head!
--Walt Whitman
Realhoops

Postby JacobPadilla » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:19 pm

Yeah, jln nailed it.
JacobPadilla

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:00 pm

Did Kimani Hamilton visit the Hilltop this past weekend?
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby vivid_dude » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:24 pm

Creighton did not make Kimani’s Final 3.
vivid_dude

Previous

Return to Recruiting