2021 Recruiter of the Year -RoY?

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: 2021 Recruiter of the Year -RoY?

Postby Helmzy » Thu May 20, 2021 11:09 am

Illinois insider told me that he was on a zoom with Quincy Gurrier actively recruiting him to Illinois. That’s how close it was to not having our assistant coach this year.
Helmzy

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Thu May 20, 2021 11:25 am

Helmzy wrote:Illinois insider told me that he was on a zoom with Quincy Gurrier actively recruiting him to Illinois. That’s how close it was to not having our assistant coach this year.

If that's true, then I'd be pretty ticked off -- I mean we may have been "close" but he hadn't actually left here and started, so if he was actively recruiting for another school while still being on the staff here, that's a pretty garbage thing to do, no matter how great he might be.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby Jet915 » Thu May 20, 2021 12:02 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote:
Helmzy wrote:Illinois insider told me that he was on a zoom with Quincy Gurrier actively recruiting him to Illinois. That’s how close it was to not having our assistant coach this year.

If that's true, then I'd be pretty ticked off -- I mean we may have been "close" but he hadn't actually left here and started, so if he was actively recruiting for another school while still being on the staff here, that's a pretty garbage thing to do, no matter how great he might be.

While I agree to some extent, Miller didn't officially start until May 1st but I bet he was recruiting Kaluma to Creighton before then....
Jet915

Postby hilltopalum » Thu May 20, 2021 12:11 pm

do you think our new assistants weren't doing the same thing...
hilltopalum

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu May 20, 2021 12:41 pm

Excellent point Hilltop...
The Main thing is that the Administration at least realized Huss' value to the school and
met the challenge to keep him aboard.
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby Outlaw_Wales » Thu May 20, 2021 1:02 pm

:evil:
hilltopalum wrote:do you think our new assistants weren't doing the same thing...

Maybe. But our new assistants did come here, which is different. And Creighton was specifically also recruiting Gurrier -- so it's pretty sketchy for somebody to be actively recruiting a player against his current employer and in favor of a potential future employer all at the same time. TCU was never mentioned as a school that Kaluma was considering, so Miller talking to him about Creighton at some point before it became final (which it actually did) is pretty different. If Gurrier ends up going to Illinois, that's a bad look.

Just my opinion. Yours can definitely be different.

I'm glad Huss is still here. He's a great recruiter. I'm disappointed to hear he was actively recruiting a player Creighton was interested in to go somewhere else while Creighton was still paying his check.
Outlaw_Wales

Postby hilltopalum » Thu May 20, 2021 1:06 pm

when you say Huss was recruiting against Creighton you realize Gurrier was interested in Creighton because of Huss, right.

I hear what youre saying about Jays paying his paycheck while he's working under the illini flag for a few hours but reality is players come to play for a coach(es).
hilltopalum

Postby alum84 » Thu May 20, 2021 1:48 pm

For me, this is much ado about nothing. Just glad we managed to keep Huss
alum84

Postby LJay » Thu May 20, 2021 2:25 pm

Yeah, let’s lock up another wing, pocket the 13th ride cause there are no decent grad transfer bigs left and move on into the off-season.

Signing Kaluma just changed the equation so much. There were no transfers available who could touch him for potential.
89 - 60
LJay

Postby mannygakou » Thu May 20, 2021 2:26 pm

Outlaw_Wales wrote::evil:
hilltopalum wrote:do you think our new assistants weren't doing the same thing...

it's pretty sketchy for somebody to be actively recruiting a player

this is college basketball in a nutshell
mannygakou

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting