KeyShawn Feazell, C transfer (commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: KeyShawn Feazell, C transfer (commit)

Postby JacobPadilla » Thu May 27, 2021 1:13 am

I saw him play in person against Nebraska this year. He was atrocious offensively in that game. But the guy can certainly rebound the ball. Even if he's nothing more than Kelvin Jones 2.0, he'll be worth having as an option. Between Kalkbrenner, Feazell and the ability to go small with Hawkins or Kaluma, I think Creighton's in a solid spot at the 5 now.
JacobPadilla

Postby SonofFrankTomera » Thu May 27, 2021 1:39 am

JacobPadilla wrote:I saw him play in person against Nebraska this year. He was atrocious offensively in that game. But the guy can certainly rebound the ball. Even if he's nothing more than Kelvin Jones 2.0, he'll be worth having as an option. Between Kalkbrenner, Feazell and the ability to go small with Hawkins or Kaluma, I think Creighton's in a solid spot at the 5 now.

Im sorry that you had to go through that Jacob. Also he must have really separated himself from that offensive Husker juggernaut they put out there last year.
SonofFrankTomera

Postby bugmuncher » Thu May 27, 2021 7:00 am

Welcome KeyShawn!!!
bugmuncher

Postby Chicagojayfan » Thu May 27, 2021 8:17 am

Pretty happy about this transfer. I'd love to have a top 100 center coming in to backup and play with Kalkbrenner, but that wasn't going to happen, so getting a veteran who one of our coaches knows really well, and who is a mature, physical player who can rebound and play D (and maybe add more) is a very good thing for our depth and for the team this year
Chicagojayfan

Postby wildjays » Thu May 27, 2021 8:49 am

Here is where KeyShawn can be "key" for Creighton's frontcourt

https://whiteandbluereview.com/mcneese- ... ont-court/
White & Blue Review-- http://whiteandbluereview.com
wildjays

Postby cu8493 » Thu May 27, 2021 9:01 am

Here is what to really like: 55-72 from the charity stripe-76.4%! Also 56% from the field on nearly 200 attempts isn’t horrible. 7 double doubles, with 19 RBs in 27 minutes inone game. Granted, Arlington Baptist, but still 19 boards in 27 minutes. But 3 TOS per game with 4 or 5 in quite a few games needs to be addressed. Hopefully won’t be overmatched in BE. Overall does address the need and gives Ryan someone big and physical to work against in practice.
cu8493

Postby WBR Tom » Thu May 27, 2021 9:46 am

To Jacob's point, he had 11 rebounds in 23 minutes against Nebraska last year -- more or less what he averaged over the course of the season. Yeah, Nebraska was mediocre, but they had legit size to bang against and he more than held his own. And yeah, that's a super small sample size. But you also can't dismiss his improved numbers in 2020-21 as merely a good player beating up on a bad schedule, either.

Obviously the double-double average isn't going to hold up against CU's 2021-22 slate, and his underlying shooting numbers aren't great, but he's also not going to be playing 25 minutes a night except in dire circumstances and he doesn't need to score 10 points a night to be a key cog. If he can give them what Kelvin Jones did in 2019-20 as a baseline (3.6 rebounds per game in 11.5 minutes, and a decent enough offensive game that defenses have to respect him) with competent defense, anything beyond that will be gravy. Jones 2.0 is exactly what the team needs: a reliable veteran backup big man to play 2-3 minute bursts a couple of times a night when Kalkbrenner needs a break against opponents that a small lineup can't excel against, and occasional longer stretches when Kalk is in foul trouble. Feazell seems to have the tools to be a bit better than Jones was for CU. I'm excited to have him on the roster.
WBR Tom

Postby Jaybird » Thu May 27, 2021 10:21 am

cu8493 wrote:Here is what to really like: 55-72 from the charity stripe-76.4%! Also 56% from the field on nearly 200 attempts isn’t horrible. 7 double doubles, with 19 RBs in 27 minutes inone game. Granted, Arlington Baptist, but still 19 boards in 27 minutes. But 3 TOS per game with 4 or 5 in quite a few games needs to be addressed. Hopefully won’t be overmatched in BE. Overall does address the need and gives Ryan someone big and physical to work against in practice.

Something else to like: McNeese had 49 blocks for the season. This guy had 25 of them. So, some clear hints of rim protector in his resume. Something else--he had a 3.8 GPA coming out of high school. The reason I like that is that, while he shot 13% from above the arc this past season, he sounds like somebody who won't have to be told twice when Mac says to him, "Don't ever, ever shoot a three while you're here. Those days are over".
Jaybird

Postby LJay » Thu May 27, 2021 10:33 am

Not skinny

89 - 60
LJay

Postby Jaynut » Thu May 27, 2021 11:30 am

Looks to me like a big banger!!
You can't spell delusional without "UNL."
Jaynut

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting