KeyShawn Feazell, C transfer (commit)

Keep updated on possible future Bluejays.

Return to Recruiting

Re: KeyShawn Feazell, C transfer (commit)

Postby jaysfor3 » Fri May 28, 2021 6:58 am

Jaybird wrote:
jaysfor3 wrote:KeyShawn Feazell was the #2 player out of Mississippi and 3 star as senior in high school with a 3.8 GPA. He had offers from at least Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Baylor, Iowa St, Pitt, and Alabama from what I can find.

“He has a tremendous upside,” said MSU coach Ben Howland. “He’s willing to be physical and very aggressive with his body. He has gigantic hands and great hands. I think his upside is big time for us in the future.”

https://www.djournal.com/sports/freshma ... 883e0.html

To me, with Creighton's ability to develop players, KeyShawn could reach new heights and be quite the steal for us. I could easily see him playing the pick and roll, lob, dunk, crashing the boards, physical presence we need down low in the Big East.

Holy Shaq. After reading this, I'm beginning to wonder who'll be backing up who at the five next season. Some of you guys might want to consider pumping the brakes a little.

Glass half full for me on Keyshawn...what's not to be excited about Keyshawn?!? 1. We needed another big - box checked! 2. An athletic, physical big would be ideal - box checked! 3. One with good hands (not G Echenique) would be a bonus - box appears to be checked per his MSU coach! 4. A big who can pass - box checked! 5. One who led his team in points and rebounds and was a 1/10 of a 1% close to averaging a double-double last season - box checked! 6. A big who several other power 5's offered out of high school - box checked! Count your blessings Jays fans... I am thrilled to have Keyshawn on the team, excited to see how he might further develop and contribute, and where did I say he would be the next Shaq? I think somebody needs to pump the brakes on their criticisms and fill up their half-empty glass. :D
jaysfor3

Postby section221jay » Fri May 28, 2021 8:41 am

Anything that prevents the Mac from having to play guys like Miller or Kaluma at the "5" is a good thing. Great pick up.
section221jay

Postby Jaybird » Fri May 28, 2021 9:23 am

jaysfor3 wrote:
Jaybird wrote:
jaysfor3 wrote:KeyShawn Feazell was the #2 player out of Mississippi and 3 star as senior in high school with a 3.8 GPA. He had offers from at least Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Baylor, Iowa St, Pitt, and Alabama from what I can find.

“He has a tremendous upside,” said MSU coach Ben Howland. “He’s willing to be physical and very aggressive with his body. He has gigantic hands and great hands. I think his upside is big time for us in the future.”

https://www.djournal.com/sports/freshma ... 883e0.html

To me, with Creighton's ability to develop players, KeyShawn could reach new heights and be quite the steal for us. I could easily see him playing the pick and roll, lob, dunk, crashing the boards, physical presence we need down low in the Big East.

Holy Shaq. After reading this, I'm beginning to wonder who'll be backing up who at the five next season. Some of you guys might want to consider pumping the brakes a little.

Glass half full for me on Keyshawn...what's not to be excited about Keyshawn?!? 1. We needed another big - box checked! 2. An athletic, physical big would be ideal - box checked! 3. One with good hands (not G Echenique) would be a bonus - box appears to be checked per his MSU coach! 4. A big who can pass - box checked! 5. One who led his team in points and rebounds and was a 1/10 of a 1% close to averaging a double-double last season - box checked! 6. A big who several other power 5's offered out of high school - box checked! Count your blessings Jays fans... I am thrilled to have Keyshawn on the team, excited to see how he might further develop and contribute, and where did I say he would be the next Shaq? I think somebody needs to pump the brakes on their criticisms and fill up their half-empty glass. :D

Holy Dikembe Mutombo! Where did I say that you said he'd be the next Shaq? (And I did not just say that you said he'd be the next Dikembe Mutombo either). Holy Shaq seemed like an apt euphemism for Holy Something Else. But, never mind that.

Your breathless post had him doing everything but shooting t-shirts into the crowd out of a cannon and selling programs in the concourse (the one prediction I will make is that Creighton program sales will hit an all-time high this year), when the likelihood is, you haven't seen him play, just like I haven't. You don't know that he can do any of that stuff and I don't either. I'll be thrilled if he gives us 10-12 solid minutes as Kalk's backup (you still have him backing up Kalk, right, instead of the other way around)? It's not fair to saddle anyone with unrealistic expectations. That'd be like me expecting somebody to understand that "Holy Shaq" doesn't have to mean that I think that someone just compared a new signee to Shaquille O'Neal (although, now that you mention it, you came pretty close).

Anyway, looks like a terrific pickup considering what we needed to round out the roster, and I'm glad he's coming. I'm just not ready yet to describe him as the Second Coming.
Jaybird

Postby Chicagojayfan » Fri May 28, 2021 9:42 am

section221jay wrote:Anything that prevents the Mac from having to play guys like Miller or Kaluma at the "5" is a good thing. Great pick up.

well, "having to play" is different from "wanting to play". I can see times when playing someone like Kaluma at the 5 (e.g., a small lineup with Miller, Hawkins, and Kaluma on the front line) could be very effective.

We ask a LOT of our big men - running the floor, setting high picks and hustling to the basket, hedging and helping defensively (sometimes WAY out on the floor), but then having to get back to defend the rim. Bishop only played 23 minutes a game last year and that was his career high. Martin played 25 minutes once in his career, Patton played 25 once, Groselle played 21 minutes a game as a career high, Artino played 16, Echinique played 23.9 once. Highest a 5 has played for Mac was Wragge at 27 and he wasn't at all a traditional 5

So, Kalk's just a 2nd year player and I think he's probably a year or two away from S&C allowing him to run the floor and take the beating the BE gives to post players, so 20 minutes a game would be a good estimate this year. 25 minutes would seem to be an absolute maximum. That leaves around 15-20 minutes available..

10-15 for Feazell and 5-10 for small ball looks pretty good to me. Feazell has a great opportunity to carve out a good sized role on this roster and to expand his game, but I think we'll run some small ball out there and it will be brutal for cover those guys on the perimeter
Chicagojayfan

Postby jaysfor3 » Fri May 28, 2021 10:47 am

Holy Dikembe Mutombo! Where did I say that you said he'd be the next Shaq? (And I did not just say that you said he'd be the next Dikembe Mutombo either). Holy Shaq seemed like an apt euphemism for Holy Something Else. But, never mind that.

Your breathless post had him doing everything but shooting t-shirts into the crowd out of a cannon and selling programs in the concourse (the one prediction I will make is that Creighton program sales will hit an all-time high this year), when the likelihood is, you haven't seen him play, just like I haven't. You don't know that he can do any of that stuff and I don't either. I'll be thrilled if he gives us 10-12 solid minutes as Kalk's backup (you still have him backing up Kalk, right, instead of the other way around)? It's not fair to saddle anyone with unrealistic expectations. That'd be like me expecting somebody to understand that "Holy Shaq" doesn't have to mean that I think that someone just compared a new signee to Shaquille O'Neal (although, now that you mention it, you came pretty close).

Anyway, looks like a terrific pickup considering what we needed to round out the roster, and I'm glad he's coming. I'm just not ready yet to describe him as the Second Coming.[/quote]
-------------------------------------------------------------
Holy Al Gore, you're practically saying that I quoted him as inventing the internet too. Pretty much "just the facts mam," is what I provided on what's been said about him by people that know him better than us or by what he's already accomplished. Did I say he's a solid shooter, post up player, dribbler, or even a starter...etc.? Nope, just optimistic about what he brings as an experienced big man and knowing Creighton's ability to develop there could be some upside...
jaysfor3

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri May 28, 2021 11:38 am

Al Gore??' Did someone say Al Gore???

My internet costs are skyrocketing into the stratosphere. Suppose its' time
to switch again. These bastards always offer the low prices to new
subscribers, and screw long term buyers.

Maybe I can get ol' Al to schedule a price reduction?
"This is our time. This is our great opportunity... Standing strong - for a great, great future." - Fr Timothy Lannon, SJ
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” - Nicholas Klein (1918)
gtmoBlue

Postby jaysfor3 » Fri May 28, 2021 11:47 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Al Gore??' Did someone say Al Gore???

My internet costs are skyrocketing into the stratosphere. Suppose its' time
to switch again. These bastards always offer the low prices to new
subscribers, and screw long term buyers.

Maybe I can get ol' Al to schedule a price reduction?

+1
jaysfor3

Postby Angry Dan » Fri May 28, 2021 1:27 pm

I will declare after watching one highlight and viewing stats from McNeese that KeyShawn will be a combination of George Morrow, Gregory Brandon and Christian Bishop!

Seriously, this could be a perfect fit!
Angry Dan

Postby jon4thejays » Fri May 28, 2021 1:30 pm

section221jay wrote:Anything that prevents the Mac from having to play guys like Miller or Kaluma at the "5" is a good thing. Great pick up.

This, although I’m not sold on great pick up, good I’ll buy.
jon4thejays

Postby LJay » Fri May 28, 2021 1:34 pm

Liking this vid very much. High post passing? Yes please.

89 - 60
LJay

PreviousNext

Return to Recruiting